Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2007 4:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

comments on my first ever amatuer muaythai fight

hi frens, i m new here and new to the world of martial arts haha... juz picked up muay thai about 6 mths back and recently competed in an amatuer fight... I lost to a more experienced opponent but am happy i had the chance to compete...

am hoping some of you masters here can gimme some advice and comments on my fight! I'm the one in RED! thanks in advance friends!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNmYmkkclSM
    Last edited by Torakaka; 4/07/2007 11:46am at .

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    4/07/2007 4:53am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    error!
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2007 6:17am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the links broke because form some reason it's trying to take you to the fullscreen single window for the match, if you follow this you should see the fullscreen version but I can't get back to the normal yioutube version to embed it.

http://www.youtube.com/p.swf?video_i...JTXVFbLjuT-73Q

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2007 7:14am

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For your 1st fight, that wasn't bad. You seemed to maintain your composure for the most part. You had the odds stacked against you. Your opponent was bigger (taller, more reach) and as you mentioned, more experienced. You did some good things, you did some bad things....

My only advice, other than get back in the gym and train/spar more, is to bear in mind the proper MuayThai scoring criteria.

1. Boxing, Leg Kicks, & Elbows really only count when you cause obvious damage (the strike/s cause lasting effects)

2. The main scoring techniques are kicks & knees to the body & head, with clinch knees being the most valuable.

3. There is only 1 direction in MuayThai.... FORWARDS. Moving backwards or sideways can actually be considered as a display of weakness and will count against your score. Same thing with dropping your guard. Its considered a display of being tired, which is also a display of weakness, and will therefore count against you.

Item #3 is the trickiest one to understand. Someone can be landing more scoring techniques, but if you are continually backing away from your opponent, your opponent is likely to win the match unless you are completely dominating him as you move back (hitting very clean scoring techniques while constantly making him miss)

What also makes all of this difficult to learn and apply is that quite often the above criteria isn't understood and/or used by MuayThai judges outside of Thailand.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2007 12:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stonekoh,

Congrats on your first fight, especially one that seemed to allow elbows! I'll let more experienced fighters comment on technique. Where was this event held?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/07/2007 1:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It kinda sucks that you had to fight such an obviously experienced opponent. That guy seemed to really know his way around the ring. It's good that you're looking at it as good experience though, since I know having a fight like this for your first match can really hurt your confidence.

I don't really have any advice beyond what Khun Kao has already said except I'd like to echo the idea that you should really try and stay as active as you can in the clinch. Trying to get some sort of position (wether it be a tight clinch around the body, locking around the back, or a neck clinch) and find any openings for knees you can. Letting someone out work you in the clinch will probably end up costing you the most in these matches, especially when you find yourself clinching as much as you guys were in this fight.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/07/2007 3:08pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's with the chest protector?

Also why does the ref keep interupting the clinch?
    Last edited by WhiteShark; 4/07/2007 3:11pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2007 4:39pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice fight.

As someone said above about the only direction being forward. It's definitely better to be giving and giving rather than giving, waiting and taking, etc. You have to be vicious. Also, don't tap hands so much, your opponent actually sucker punched you right after a tap.

I give them all the respect afterwards, but you gotta be trying to kill them when its time to do so.

Props for taking the first and perhaps one of the greatest steps into life possible. Stick with it, it only gets better.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2007 11:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yea, he did sucker punch me after he touched gloves... haha...

thanks alot for the advice guys!! about the moving forward thing, i guess i have to work alot on it, i tried throwing some punch combos while moving forward but i juz couldnt connect, not sure if its becos half my mind was concentrating instead on how he was gonna counter rather than on the punches...

n when he was advancing on me, i guess i din rly noe how to react except move backwards, perhaps i should move sideways? if not, is it possible to still advance on him even though hes running at me?

once again, thanks everyone! =)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2007 11:44pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyZ
    Stonekoh,

Congrats on your first fight, especially one that seemed to allow elbows! I'll let more experienced fighters comment on technique. Where was this event held?
    This is from the "Singapore Muay Thai Explosion 1" event held 31st march.... there were quite alot of pro fights after the amatuers were done... =) its the first real pro muay thai event held in Singapore...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast