Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 8:06pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What the hell? Tai Chi as good as a vaccine for preventing shingles.

Granted, the research was supported by an alternative-care organization (NCCAM), but it was published in a reputable journal with an apparently favorable review:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryC...dicine/tb/5402

In a controlled study of adults vaccinated against varicella zoster virus, those who had earlier been assigned to perform a westernized version of tai chi exercises had significantly higher levels of vaccine-stimulated cell-mediated immunity than did controls, found Michael R. Irwin, M.D., of the University of California at Los Angeles, and colleagues at UC San Diego.

And even before they were vaccinated, tai chi alone helped those who practiced it to mount an immune response to varicella zoster virus comparable to that of patients half their age, the investigators reported in the April issue of the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.
    In the prospective controlled trial, 112 healthy older adults 59 to 86 years old were randomized to receive training and participation in tai chi chih, a westernized, standardized form of the art, or to a health-education program, both for 25 weeks.
    Also note the caveat:

the investigators could not determine whether tai chi actually reduced the occurrence of shingles.
    So it looks like they've found the potential for a preventative effect, but not an actual proven one.

But still, the fact that tai chi can act as a potential vaccine against a somewhat-communicable skin disease is something incredible to me. Especially since I'm looking to get into Health Psychology, which includes areas such as this.

poser

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 8:22pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I knew that healing/internal arts like Tai Chi and Qigong were up there with yoga in the realm of physiological benefit, but increased resistance to disease? Weiiird ****.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 2:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I watched a story on the news about this the other night..seems a bit strange that Tai Chi could help prevent a skin disorder.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 3:18pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's nothing, boxing cures fucking leperosy.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 8:48pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    did the health education program in the control group include exercise? Perhaps if they had compared a group that performed simple calisthenics or something, the test would tell us whether tai chi routines specifically cause a stronger immune response. As it stands, I can interpret the results to mean that moving around more rather than less is good for the immune system. So exercise is good for people. We knew that.

poser

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 9:07pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfOlives
    did the health education program in the control group include exercise? Perhaps if they had compared a group that performed simple calisthenics or something, the test would tell us whether tai chi routines specifically cause a stronger immune response. As it stands, I can interpret the results to mean that moving around more rather than less is good for the immune system. So exercise is good for people. We knew that.
    I think it's also the fact that Tai Chi is somewhat relaxing. In fact, it is anything but aerobic. It's actually more like meditating while moving around than anything, so maybe instead it could be compared to yoga or straight-up sitting meditation.

edit: and why shingles, anyway? how about something more accessible to the average person, like the flu. and isn't shingles a one-time-only thing? i'd rather see a study where they measure if people who do tai chi get sick less often... or something.
    Last edited by kwoww; 4/11/2007 9:10pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 9:12pm

Style: Mongolian

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it would be a good idea to compare Tai chi benefits with both yoga and exercise in general. I think there is a vaccine for shingles now.

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 9:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    did the health education program in the control group include exercise?
    They got westernized Tai Chi.

I can interpret the results to mean that moving around more rather than less is good for the immune system
    That's a bad interpretation. This is a specific activity showing a boosted protective response to a particular condition.

i'd rather see a study where they measure if people who do tai chi get sick less often... or something.
    The studies are out there. Go type in "Tai Chi" or "Tai Chi Chuan" into the Pubmed search database and have fun.

I think it would be a good idea to compare Tai chi benefits with both yoga and exercise in general. I think there is a vaccine for shingles now.
    The article talked about the vaccine already. It said that tai chi apparently conferred an equivalent immune response to that generated by the vaccine to the shingles virus.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 9:32pm

Style: Mongolian

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judah Maccabee
    They got westernized Tai Chi.

That's a bad interpretation. This is a specific activity showing a boosted protective response to a particular condition.

The studies are out there. Go type in "Tai Chi" or "Tai Chi Chuan" into the Pubmed search database and have fun.

The article talked about the vaccine already. It said that tai chi apparently conferred an equivalent immune response to that generated by the vaccine to the shingles virus.
    Understood but does the study show which aspect of tai chi has the benefit. Is it the exercise, relaxation, or a combination of both? Or is it just tai chi?

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 11:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Understood but does the study show which aspect of tai chi has the benefit. Is it the exercise, relaxation, or a combination of both? Or is it just tai chi?
    I haven't read the actual article. So I don't know. But what I can tell you is that it can be very hard to determine the causal factor. I've researched the psychological benefits of martial arts, and there's still contentious debate over the mechanism for the benefits.