All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 9:55pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeSpeech
    Not as many as it seems. Robert Trias is the "Father of Karate in America" because

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Trias
    Master Trias later went on to found United States Karate Association. Which is not to be confused with United States Karate Alliance, though the Alliance is a branch off (as is my understanding).

Keichu-Do is recognized as the first system created by an American to be accepted as a Martial Art.

There are only so many ways to puch and kick and block so do not be surprised by this but here are a few of the cariculum tech.s:
    Reverse Punch
    Lunge Punch
    Back Fist
    Elbow Smash
    Thrust Kick
    Side Kick (Similar to Shotokan side snap kick but delivered slightly different)
    Back Falls
    Front Falls
    Side Falls
    Roll Outs
    Knee Strikes
    Two Finger Strikes
    Ouchigari
    Osotogari
    Knife Hands
    Ridge Hands
    Parries and Parry Traps
    Kesagatame
    Gyakujujijime
    This list is only pieces of the requirements for the first and third belts. It is by no means a complete list and does not deal with the self defense scenerios that are part of the belt requirements.

Thank you and God Bless.
    Keichu do sounds japanese
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 10:13pm

Style: Keichu-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    By whom?
    USADojo, USKA (Association and Alliance), GMAU, GMAF, International Society of Head Founders/ Head Families, Wrcma, and Louisiana State to name a few.
    We are working to up date the Wikipedia Article, I expect that there should be a good list there when it is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    So Marx repackaged JMA, then? And for the efficacy part, do you (the global Keichu-Do you) compete?
    JMA? I do not know this abbr.

I used to, only three times though. I am unsure whether I will again or not.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 10:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Keichu do sounds japanese
    It is. Is this your reason for not liking Keichu or us?
    I mean the name is Japanese.
    Last edited by FreeSpeech; 11/10/2006 4:58pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 10:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meng_mao
    By analogy:
    I see a series of pictures of a brain surgeon operating on a patient in the viewing room, for med students to learn his procedure.
    The surgeon cuts 90% of the skullwith a bone saw intended for delicate surgery. Then he takes a hammer to crack at the skull a bit, and then finishes the cut with a chainsaw. The surgeon could have easily finished his cut to open the brain with the nice saw. But he went out of his way to make the technique more complicated and error-prone. There's nothing he could say to the med students around him justifying his procedure -- his procedure is strictly worse than the standard. The pictures are enough to indicate the flaw in his procedure.

You might say that hey -- the pictures don't tell the whole story. My response is -- the pictures are clearly 1 sequence intended for edification. There's no joke here where the master is fooling around and doing a bad arm-bar. He's serious about the sequence.
    Please reply to the in general posting I made earlier (POST#749, I think). What you are responding to was a comment that was made in a conversation with Locu5. I am sorry, I will not responde to this beyond this point.
    Thank you for your time, and God Bless.
    Last edited by FreeSpeech; 11/08/2006 10:20pm at .

software engineer

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 10:56pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please reply to the in general posting I made earlier (POST#749, I think). What you are responding to was a comment that was made in a conversation with Locu5. I am sorry, I will not responde to this beyond this point.
    Thank you for your time, and God Bless.
    How a forum thread works is that people are free to discuss things with each other. Just because you were speaking with one person doesn't mean another can't make a point in response. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a forum.

I have nothing to say for 749. That was a generic defense.
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 12:01am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shawarma, I find it noticeable that in the case of Micah "Cajun" Lopez, he notes that for competition, he doesn't use KD; he uses muay thai and BJJ. He promotes KD as effective and worthwhile as an art for the "everyman", rather than the fighter. This is his position as the "new generation" of Keichu-Do.

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 1:52am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Steve, by competition I am assuming that you are referring Pro MMA fighting.

I use my Keichu-Do training in conjunction with my Thai and BJJ, so I do give some credence to the fact that Keichu can help a fighter. I do use it to fight. I don't teach it to fighters. Keichu is an integral part of my personal fight training because it is a part of who I am.

However, as a stand alone art form it was created to teach the "everyman" self defense, not how to be a fighter. Can a fighter defend himself? Of course. Do you have to be a fighter to defend yourself? No.

Give me any traditional style and I can find many impractical moves. That is the whole point to MMA training. To "trim the fat" off of traditional combat arts and streamline it to what is most usefull and effective in the cage.
    Keichu-Do is as viable and effective an art, as any other traditional art form out there. As an instructor, I will sometimes expand upon a specific move ,such as an armbar, by stringing it out into additional moves that may seem impractical. Now, before I show it to my students, I explain the purpose behind turning something simple and effective to a sometimes absured drawn out combo, ie "alligator roll".
    My students need to know the physiology of the human body and how it reacts to preasure and manipulation of the joints. By setting up a ridiculous sequence for training purposes you educate your students on the capabilities of certain movements and positions on an opponent. The context here is training the student to control through joint manipulation. It would be quite obvious that I will never tell any of my students that it is okay to do an alligator roll, when an armbar will suffice.
    In my 18 years of doing the martial arts I have learned some of the most profound concepts from the most ridiculous moves. I hope this clears up the alligator roll issue, because quite frankly, I am tired of reading about it. Now I will continue to do my best to clear things up about anything concerning techniques, and how and why they are taught. However, I am not going to run in circles about the origins of the art or its validity. I prefer to keep things in the here and now. If Samurai Steve wants to direct me to a more appropriate forum in order to do so I will gladly follow.
    Let's keep it intelligent gentlemen.

Micah Lopez

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 1:59am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm no mod. Best I can recommend is to go to the Keichu-do 2 thread, as this one's pretty long and extensive.

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 2:11am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will do.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 8:40am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    USADojo, USKA (Association and Alliance), GMAU, GMAF, International Society of Head Founders/ Head Families, Wrcma, and Louisiana State to name a few.
    We are working to up date the Wikipedia Article, I expect that there should be a good list there when it is done.
    Could you then provide documentation from these seven bodies stating that they officially recognize Keichu-Do as the first system created by an American to be accepted as a Martial Art.

JMA? I do not know this abbr.
    It means Japanese martial arts. So, is it fair to say that Marx's martial arts are Japanese in origin?
    Last edited by Locu5; 11/09/2006 10:31am at .