Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/06/2007 6:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Flying triangle choke effectivness

Ok, first thread, i ran a few searches on this and i dont think its been covered so hopefully no repost!
    im a big fan of Genki Sudo, and his very unique style of fighting, well one thing i was wondering is how effective would a flying traingle choke be in a real fight.
    To me if used against someone with little training and also around your weight and strength (to stop them slamming you) it could be an effective technique especially because of the "shock factor"

here is a video on flying submissions ive found intresting to watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDTSlKTvxzM

So what do you think???

Posted On:
    4/06/2007 7:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They're awesome in a real fight.

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    4/06/2007 9:26am

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If someone shoots for a single they can be done. I get the guys in my gym a lot with them. As for real competition, watch Rumina Sato as well as Sudo. Also, at a comp. here last year, A brazilian guy got three guys in a row with them en route to winning the open weight advanced division. On t3h str33t though (If that's what you meant), well, uh, yeah, you just go ahead and try that. I'd like to see it.
    Last edited by debul937; 4/06/2007 9:28am at .

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/06/2007 9:44am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In a street fight, the effectiveness of a gimmicky move like a flying triangle is inversely proportional to your opponent's grappling savvy and directly proportional to your own proficiency at performing the technique in a live situation. Which is a fancy way of saying it's a high risk move. It's a much better idea to stick to basic techniques during any altercation.

That said, I flying triangled a guy in a parking lot about two years ago. I did so without thinking about it because he bent over in such a way that the move presented itself. If you had asked me before that fight if I would ever use a flying triangle in such a situation, I would have said no.

Although I managed to avoid cracking my head on the pavement on the way down, my back was not happy when we landed. All things considered, I'd advise against using it unless you're very good at performing the move against a wide variety of resisting opponents. Plus, neither you nor I are Genki Sudo

Posted On:
    4/06/2007 7:04pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have an approximate date on this happenstance, jnp? A month and year, perhaps?
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/06/2007 7:19pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    Do you have an approximate date on this happenstance, jnp? A month and year, perhaps?
    It was June or July 2005. The incident occurred in the parking lot of Lowe's hardware store on Shoal Creek Blvd in Austin.

Posted On:
    4/06/2007 7:45pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    It was June or July 2005. The incident occurred in the parking lot of Lowe's hardware store on Shoal Creek Blvd in Austin.
    DHS Salutes You.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    4/06/2007 8:14pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    In a street fight, the effectiveness of a gimmicky move like a flying triangle is inversely proportional to your opponent's grappling savvy and directly proportional to your own proficiency at performing the technique in a live situation. Which is a fancy way of saying it's a high risk move. It's a much better idea to stick to basic techniques during any altercation.

That said, I flying triangled a guy in a parking lot about two years ago. I did so without thinking about it because he bent over in such a way that the move presented itself. If you had asked me before that fight if I would ever use a flying triangle in such a situation, I would have said no.

Although I managed to avoid cracking my head on the pavement on the way down, my back was not happy when we landed. All things considered, I'd advise against using it unless you're very good at performing the move against a wide variety of resisting opponents. Plus, neither you nor I are Genki Sudo
    jnp, you have been awarded the DHS Silver Star for gallantry in combat against the enemy. Your name will be entered in the DHS Awards thread, and a ribbon for your signature will be made available at your request.