supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Iowa Tries to Ban Mixed Martial Arts

Iowa Tries to Ban Mixed Martial Arts
    by Tom Donelson, tomdonelson@blackathlete.com
    published on Apr 4, 2007

IOWA CITY, Ia. -- In the state of Iowa, the Senate has voted to remove Mixed Martial Arts from regulation, but this is a back door approach to outlawing Mixed Martial Arts.

Boxing, wrestling and Mixed Martial Arts are regulated by the Department of Labor, but the labor commissioner has recommended that the Mixed Martial Arts be removed from regulations.

This was not done as a libertarian move to eliminate one less sport from government regulations but to remove the State of Iowa any liability from injuries.

While many of the legislators have decried this sport as “barbaric,” I suspect that most have not really seen the sport live or for that matter, bother to research how dangerous this sport is compared to other more popular sport.

Some 400,000 athletes will seek medical attention from football injuries every year and a few will die as result of head injuries. While football authorities have made the sport safer, there is still risk and there is nothing that can be done to eliminate all risk.

Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterbacks Troy Aikman and Steve Young have seen their career's cut short due to a series of concussion. Other sports have their own risks.

Hockey players face similar problems with concussion as football players and NASCAR racers see the death as a constant partner. No one is asking for any of these sports to be banned.

Yet there is no evidence that risk to a martial artist is any higher than these other sports and the nature of the sport may make it safer. The biggest fear for any fighter is taking too many punches to the head and certainly many boxers have suffered long term damage due to head shots.

Head shots due to vicious tackles can shorten careers and that doesn't count the injuries that have debilitated many football players over a lifetime.

For many martial artists, their defensive skills reduce the number head shots they actually receive and majority of the action actually occurs on the ground as many of these artists have excellent mat skills through the various submission skills including wrestling, judo and Jiu Jitsu.

Many Iowa fans will recognize much of the action as wrestling is probably the number three sport in Iowa behind Football and basketball. Ground action reduces head contact and even when many of the artist attempts to do punching during ground attacks, they often fail to make solid shots.

This doesn’t mean that serious head shots don’t occur or that blood gets spilled. It does but there is no evidence that has been released that it is more dangerous than most of other sports.

The real reason behind the move to deregulate in Iowa is merely a prelude to outlaw the sport within the state of Iowa. As one promoter noted recently, more athletes may actually get hurt, “Since unscrupulous promoters may hold events under unsafe conditions.”

Why the Senate moved in this direction as oppose to outright ban is that many legislators are not willing to ban the sport. One Senator saw through the shell game and voted against it but not because it was the wrong to do but because he wants outright ban.

Senator Herman C. Quirmbach of Ames stated, “That's not a sport, it is a barbaric, disgusting, degrading and subhuman activity that really has no place in the state of Iowa."

This is the nanny state at its most arrogance, with legislators deciding what is best for us all. Many sports have been denounced in similar fashion. A few years back, there was a movement to ban boxing and in the early 20th century, many attempted to outlaw football, today’s America number one passion.

The same words said about mixed martial arts have been said about boxing and football. Mixed Martial Arts is becoming a fast growing sport and many fans have spoken with their pocketbook.

The real question is should Iowa ban a sport with willing participants and substantial fan base? I will argue no. Today, they come to eliminate the mixed martial arts, tomorrow it will be boxing and then who knows?

http://www.blackathlete.net/artman/p...le_03132.shtml

Maturely written, with insights into history.
    Iowans, write letters to your people in government opposing any ban!
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2007 8:40am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would think that a state that is so big on wrestling would have a more open attitude towards MMA. (But MMA is always a target for political posturing.) I wonder though, does a community with a very well developed culture of wrestling, almost a refined culture, have more inclination to view MMA as a barbaric bastardized inferiority?

Posted On:
    4/06/2007 8:44am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. Pat M. must be pissed.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/06/2007 9:06am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyZ
    I would think that a state that is so big on wrestling would have a more open attitude towards MMA. (But MMA is always a target for political posturing.) I wonder though, does a community with a very well developed culture of wrestling, almost a refined culture, have more inclination to view MMA as a barbaric bastardized inferiority?
    I highly doubt the wrestling community sees MMA in such a light, or at the very least support its banning. It's all a matter of perception and prestigue. You gotta understand that legislators make a living out of rusting feathers with their "can someone please think of the children" battlecries.

Wrestling is far more prestrigious than MMA. It keeps kids busy (specially in those years when they are growing and got testosterone shooting out of their very pores). Furthermore, it can pave the way to prestige in the olympics. Plus, as noted, it's part of Iowa's culture.

Football is a fucking sacred golden cow, untouchable no matter what.

MMA is neither, an easy target to make it a political issue. Sounds like a simplification, but sadly, it really fucking describes what legislators do (many of whom I doubt had any background in wrestling to actually understand what combat sports are all about, much less MMA.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 1:28pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    INSTEAD OF MAKING A NEW THREAD YOU MAY ENJOY THIS ONE!!

Iowa House approves amended mixed martial arts bill

By Associated Press

5:53 PM CST, March 9, 2010
    DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — The Iowa House has approved an amended version of a bill that increases regulation of mixed martial arts events in the state.

The House voted 86-6 in favor of the measure on Tuesday, amending a version approved by the Senate earlier.

The bill requires promoters to have a physician present at fights and that all participants under go a physical examination before competing. It also requires competitors be at least 18 years old.

The requirements would apply to any mixed martial arts event that is open to the public and where an admission fee or donation is required. The House amended the bill to include events where merchandise or refreshments are available for purchase.

The bill now goes back to the Senate for further debate.
    http://www.wqad.com/news/sns-ap-ia--...,4352143.story
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 3:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was in Iowa not too long ago and I saw an advertisement for an MMA show featuring Kevin Burns. The show's going to take place in a few days in Des Moines. I wonder if it was scheduled to correspond with the passing of the bill?

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 3:39pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kevin Burns who fought T.J. Grant, Chris Lytle, Anthony Johnson in the Ultimate Fighting Championships?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 4:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah. He's from Des Moines and he'll be fighting on the 13th in the Midwest Cage Championship.