Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 10:27pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They are planning on abandoning the BMI. BMI doesn't take into account if you are old (more fat, less heavy muscles). Doesn't take into account Bone density.

Some nutritionist at my school told me as people drink less milk the rate of obesity rose over the years (didn't ask what source she got this from). This doesn't show cause and effect, but maybe that extra calcium has a role in metabolism we don't know about yet. SKIM milk, anyone? I guess if you are just drinking water and but eating a lot of other nutrient rich foods, then that should yield all the nutrients you need to produce enzymes for an active metabolism without the 999999999999 unnecessary calories you get in pop, or even in orange juice..

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 9:58am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you know what other body composition measurement is going to replace the BMI? BMIs were never accurate, that's for sure.

Regarding milk and fat-burning (or at least obesity prevention), I found this (take it with a grain of salt :P)

http://www.webmd.com/news/20000417/calcium-low-fat-diet

Well, the rise on obesity has also been linked (more firmly I guess) on an increase of starch, sugars and refined grained in the diets as well as the size of the portions.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 3:36pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Skinfold measurement is probably the most effective, at least in terms of cost/effectiveness ratio.

Underwater weighing is supposed to be really accurate and i think DEXA is now the gold standard but neither are cheap or widely available.

Bio-impedance
    is popular but in my experience it's crap. I used one and it measured my body fat at 5%. It was between 9-10% with skinfold measurements.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 3:58pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Do you know what other body composition measurement is going to replace the BMI? BMIs were never accurate, that's for sure.

Regarding milk and fat-burning (or at least obesity prevention), I found this (take it with a grain of salt :P)

http://www.webmd.com/news/20000417/calcium-low-fat-diet

Well, the rise on obesity has also been linked (more firmly I guess) on an increase of starch, sugars and refined grained in the diets as well as the size of the portions.
    On milk, interesting side article -
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/4199822a10.html

the "devil" in milk - an brief piece on A1 beta-casein vs. A2 beta-casein

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 7:16pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They found better correlation with Cardiovascular disease using the Waist to Hip Ratio, than the BMI. If you guys want to articles, I am sure I can search and find them.

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 12:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great article, too bad it turned into a body measurement debate. I think the important point is that it's hard to follow these general and very important basic rules (thats why so many people choose to ignore them and focus on micronutrients or whatever is the popular new thing of the day) but without following these more basic rules none of the 'smaller' dietary things you do are going to make a noticeable difference. Any examples of a diet following these rules? I am getting tired of leafy green tuna salads...

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    5/15/2009 10:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this needs to be updated. After reading more from Dr. John M Berardi, Ph.D, he now has 10 rules in his free Gourmet Nutrition ebook (you get it when you register at Percision Nutrition), which are also mentioned in some of his other articles. They're just an expansion on the original 7.
    Last edited by Kentucky Fried Chokin; 5/15/2009 11:02am at .

Posted On:
    12/31/2012 5:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The link to protein prejudice up top doesn't work anymore. Not sure if this is the same article http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...tein_prejudice

But getting back to Berardi's habits. How do you eat carbs in only 1 meal per day? I just can't wrap my head around what I'd eat if I couldn't fill up on grains.

Posted On:
    12/31/2012 6:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    double post
    Last edited by Lindz; 12/31/2012 6:10pm at .

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 9:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    The link to protein prejudice up top doesn't work anymore. Not sure if this is the same article http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...tein_prejudice

But getting back to Berardi's habits. How do you eat carbs in only 1 meal per day? I just can't wrap my head around what I'd eat if I couldn't fill up on grains.
    Meat (eggs) and fibrous vegetables.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast