Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2007 2:50pm

Style: Xing-Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    I didn't mean style as in martial arts style. I meant if wrestling style clinch work and sprawls are what you want to learn go talk to a MMA coach with a wrestling background. Trying to figure it our on your own is going to leave gaping holes in your game and or take a whole hell of a lot longer.
    Ah gotcha, and agreed. It wasnt about learning them from a MMA point of view but more from my own training point of view. My own training has very limited ground work so it was a bit of a measuring stick. But I was there and hell, I was a .500 winner (had to cheat for a few of those) in 2 years of High School wrasslin a thousand years ago, so I toyed around with it.

That and I dont want to be embarrassed at the next Throwdown;)

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/05/2007 3:35pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhomp
    It wasnt about learning them from a MMA point of view but more from my own training point of view.
    If you admittedly don't train MMA how do you know what that point of view really is? As far as I can tell the MMA point of view is using what works regardless of preconceived notions. Just because you train something else for a portion of your game doesn't mean your personal favorite style is invalidated.

I still consider Shidokan my main style and I've been training BJJ for almost a year.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2007 10:52pm

Style: Xing-Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    If you admittedly don't train MMA how do you know what that point of view really is? As far as I can tell the MMA point of view is using what works regardless of preconceived notions. Just because you train something else for a portion of your game doesn't mean your personal favorite style is invalidated.

I still consider Shidokan my main style and I've been training BJJ for almost a year.
    By your defination of "MMA point of view is using what works regardless of preconceived notions" then I do know what the MMA point of view is and able to speak on it.

I was not trying to invalidate my style or any other. As a striking art I wanted to play with more grapplers because I realized I hadnt in too long. I did. And made a post on it. Shared what I felt worked and didnt from my point of view.

The point of your posts is if I want to learn how to defend against a takedown, go learn from takedown folks. Ok, point taken.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/06/2007 8:41am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhomp
    The point of your posts is if I want to learn how to defend against a takedown, go learn from takedown folks. Ok, point taken.
    Exactly.

Forums are really bad at transmitting tone, sorry if I sounded heavy handed. The truth is you obviously seem to "get it" but many many people don't and never reach that point of understanding.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12