Sponsored Links Spacer Image

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    4/05/2007 5:43am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nazis used several types of swastika, including but not limited to angled variations.
    Whatever his reasons for putting it on, if he really claims to be Jewish, I don't understand it... Not that it would be any of my business, but the Nazis really did ruin the swastika for all of us...

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    4/05/2007 6:49am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can easily get screen caps of this, and should be able to whip up a gif to show the salute (though I'm using that Animator9 program, so will have to see if it gets the motion correctly). Training finishes late tonight, but its a Bank Holiday tomorrow and I've got nothing better to do. :icon_wink

From what I remember of Clyde Gentry in No Holds Barred, as has been mentioned, Gordeau said that he was Jewish and he'd lost all his family in WWII. It was also described as a savate salute, though Gentry noted that Gordeau looked like a 'Neo-Nazi poster boy', given his build and blonde hair. To give that information a reference, its on page 48 of Gentry's book (the UK paperback edition). Gentry also notes Gordeau had been Dutch Karate Champion from 1978 to 1985, European Savate Champion from 1988 to 1991 and a Savate World Champion in 1992. So presumably he did have plenty of savate experience, or at the very least was familiar with the sport and its traditions (like the salute, if that is indeed from savate).

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    4/05/2007 6:57am

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The salute is definately a savate salute (also in fencing i believe) and he was listed in the UFC as a savatuer and not a karate-ka, so the salute wasnt out of place.

As for the swastika tattoo, well thats a bit more suspect :s

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2007 11:26am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He was originally a kyokushin fighter. In fact, the belt he's wearing in the picture posted earlier is Kyokushin. I also read on some other forum that he has the kyokushin kanku symbol tattooed on his left arm.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    4/05/2007 11:54am

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    The swastika is pretty common worldwide, and Buddhism uses it a lot. It's a dynamic, symmetrical symbol that combines elements of rectangles, squares, line, right angles and a suggestion of infinity and rotation, which is why the Nazis thought it was so neato.
    They kind of ruined it for the rest of us, but you look petty if you complain about it.
    Yeah, the Nazi movement really messed up a perfectly good symbol. Jerks.

And I seriously doubt Gerard Gordeau is a Nazi of any sort. Sounds to me like the kind of bullshit someone would make up based on either the presence of the swastika, or his funny wave, or his lack of hair, or his not being from the good ol'US AND A etc.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/05/2007 12:59pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guy is an ashole, but I seriously doubt he would be a nazi. That kind of PR bomb would have exploded a long, long, long time ago.

On another note, the hand-raised salute is pretty normal accross cultures. It's only in cultures more aware of nazi atrocities that people are conditioned to avoid using it and to see such practices with suspicion (with very good reasons).

Nazis not only fucked up the swastika; they also fucked up a pretty natural form of saying hi. Fuckers.

-- EDIT --

Saying that somebody is a nazi is a very serious accusation... from a moral point of view.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    4/05/2007 2:06pm

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He may not be a Nazi, but he's an asshole and I can't stand him. He took Nakai's eye. Nazi or no, **** that douche.

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    4/05/2007 2:17pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For all of us who have no idea about Nakai's eye (OK, talking about myself) - where did Gordeau take it?

OK, OK, no need to answer, I googled it up...

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    4/05/2007 2:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah....if some guy fucked up my eye in a professional fight, ON PURPOSE, then yeah...he'd be having a meeting with myself and an insane optometrist in a dark alley somewhere.

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    4/05/2007 3:03pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its not a swastika, its a manji. Buddhist symbol.

Check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manji

But truthfully, you gotta wonder as a permanent symbol goes do you really want to be constantly explaining to hostile people "No, its not really a swastika."

That's more attention than I'd want to attract.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast