Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 12:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

facial neuropraxia

Have been told I 'should' regain feeling in the left hand side of my face within 'weeks' or 'months' ( !!! ) - anybody had experience with this before from being hit?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 12:05pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe you want to explain this further and relate it to striking technique or training before I move it to another forum?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 12:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry chap...got caught with a right cross I should have avoided when kickboxing. The news that the numb feeling on the left hand side of my face may last months is fairly disconcerting !!

It's not something I have encountered before and wondered how common it was....

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 12:27pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably best to send this to the health forum.

Neurapraxia is part of Seddon's classification scheme used to classify nerve damage. It is a transient episode of motor paralysis with little or no sensory or autonomic dysfunction. Neurapraxia describes nerve damage in which there is no disruption of the nerve or its sheath. In this case there is an interruption in conduction of the impulse down the nerve fiber, and recovery takes place without wallerian degeneration. This is the mildest form of nerve injury. This is probably a biochemical lesion caused by concussion or shock-like injuries to the fiber. In the case of the role nerve, neurapraxia is brought about by compression or relatively mild, blunt blows, including some low-velocity missile injuries close to the nerve. There is a temporary loss of function which is reversible within hours to months of the injury ( the average is 6-8 weeks ). There is frequently greater involvement of motor than sensory function with autonomic function being retained.
    I never heard of it before now. Doesn't sound too serious. Does it tingle, like your face is asleep? Cause I've wacked body parts and felt that for a few days. Never seen a doc about it.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 1:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Nothern Chinese

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When i was in boot camp most of us got something like this in our feet. Basically couldnt feel our feet (tight boots save you). I imagine its the samething. I regained all the feeling, but i know how you feel. I was scared shitless when they said "well you might get your feeling back" but thats boot camp for you(mindgames). Dont worry, soon you will be feeling those hits again...