Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 10:15am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Grip Fighting

How much strategy and thought do you place on grip fighting while standing? Do you have an attack plan to get your favorite grip to be able to throw or do you just take what you can get?

I ask this question not only to the Judo players but the BJJ players also. Mind you this is in respect to gi fighting.

Watching many clips on the net of both amatuer sides, Judo and BJJ, I noticed a tendancy of not controlling that aspect of the game. Many players end up attempting low success techniques when they could have regripped or broke the other player down to achieve dominate position. I then see Jacare (sp) use dominate grips and positive situations while standing to dominate in BJJ. Top Judo players know this is the key to success but why doesn't this get hammered into new students?

Having a grip strategy can make a huge difference in your standing game. Plus by dominating from the start of the match its much easier when you hit the ground to maintain control and work your submissions from the dominate control position.

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 11:05am

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm currently doing bjj and we do about 20 minutes of grip fighting specifically in just about every class. I don't really have much of a strategy yet short of trying to duck under an arm and take the back or to just control the head using the lapel. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 11:16am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 4/24/2007 3:04pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 12:11pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've definitely got some preferred grips that I tend to go for, but I try not to get so hung up on getting any one of them so specifically that I miss other opportunities. If my opponent hands me something that I can take advantage of, I try to snatch it. If he's being feisty and denying me a certain grip, I'll make an adjustment and try to catch something that he isn't denying me. Depending on what he's doing, sometimes it can be worth working a bit more for a certain grip, particularly if he looks like he'll be susceptible to certain throws. But I try to avoid being too single-minded about this, and will switch to something else if it looks more available if it still provides me with good attack options.

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 12:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know how to break the major (dis)advantageous grips, but my favorite part of grip-fighting is the selection of comedy wristlocks done by offering the opponent specific parts of your gi lapel.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 12:37pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 4/24/2007 3:03pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 2:16pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice points, El Macho. Kind of funny actually, because my instructor was just talking about the tight/closed thumb grip vs the open grip on Sunday. It really does make sense when you think about it. That open thumb grip works really well for most turning techniques, and doesn't really limit you on more forward-driving attacks either. Getting that elbow down and into them is a really helpful helpful point too. It's definitely something that I need to play around with more. Maybe I'll actually break down and buy that book as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 4:36pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grips are really the most important thing in standing judo and are very undertaught. It's fundamental, if you don't have a solid grip you can't throw your opponent. Break away from bad grips is also extremely important. If you look at high level fights most of the time each opponent will only get their preferred grip maybe 3-4 times in a five minute match. It's imperative you learn how to get the grip you want and use it once you have it.

The other thing is to develop different techniques and tactics base on your own and your opponents preferences. You want to have a range of things you can do against someone who gives you their right side, someone who gives the left, some who comes over top, etc.

To give you an idea, I'll give you a quick list of my gripping tactics. I'll often come out looking to grab my opponents left arm and circle to the left. He'll usually grab either my arm or my lapel and from there I'll try for a drop kata-guruma. If he comes hard into me I'll grab lapel or underhook with my right hand and go for uchi-mata. If he's backing off hard I'll reach over and take his belt with my right hand and drive in for an o-soto which usually gets turned into a soto-maki-komi as he resists.

Other times you get someone who wants to tie up. If that's the case then I usually try for an underhook with my right hand. I'll then circle to the right and look for an ankle pick to te-guruma or uchi-mata depending on what feels right. O-goshi is there too, which I'll often do grabbing his right lapel with my left hand and shooting in rather than the arm. If I can only get a lapel grip (he's blocking my attempt to get the underhook) then I usually go for yoko-tomoe-nage which I set up with ko-uchi.

Finally you'll get the guys who hang way out and only give you their left hands. Those guys I usually pull in two-on-one on their left hand and reach over to their belt. From there I can do a sumi-gaeshi or a leg pick. It's hard to describe but it works really well. After a few of those they usually start tying up more in the middle. The other tactic with those guys is to shoot doubles since they won't tie up.

Hope that gives you an idea of what my approach to grips is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 10:29pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i just take what i'm given. i suppose i should work on this part of my game

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 10:45pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, most of the people I roll with in BJJ starting from standing are generally willing to give me about any grip I want, besides double underhooks. This excludes people with lots of Judo experience.

I try not to give my opponents anything better than a neutral grip.
    Last edited by Cassius; 4/03/2007 10:48pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast