Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 4:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

stretching for high roundhouse kicks

hi guys.... a noob here.... recently took up MT, but having probs with my inflexibility......

right now my round house can onli reach stomach/rib area.... can anyone reccomend me which types of stretching exercises i should do to help me with the high kicks? n how long does it take to reach that lvl of flexibility?

thanks in advance !

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 4:55am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was training in Muay Thai I found that the only thing that helped my kicks was kicking more. Even if you were to stretch lots and become very flexible, you'd probably still not have strength enough to throw your leg up that high.

Read Tom Kurtz's book Stretching Scientifically for info on the different types of stretching but my advice to just kick more.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 5:12am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks mate! will keep kicking... but wat wld be gd stretches to do b4 n after training?

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 5:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have a look at this website:

http://people.bath.ac.uk/masrjb/Stre...g_5.html#SEC39

I'm not too up on warming down to be honest as I've only recently started bothering with it (it makes a big difference on how you feel the next day) but for preparing to kick I'd recommend some cardio work followed by Dynamic stretches.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 5:56am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also check this out:

http://www.stadion.com/column.html

and consider buying Kurz's book.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 7:20am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow.. thanks a million mate!

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 8:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're welcome. Just to let you know, all I did to find that was google search dynamic stretching. There's so much out there, you just gotta hit the search button ;)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 9:58am

Style: MT, Boxing,ITF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    www.trickstutorials.com and hit the stretching button. This guy's flexibility and strength are really good. I think a lot of his stuff is from Kurz as well, but he's got a wider range of passive stretches. He's also a lot funnier, and doesn't have that whole gloomy Eastern European thang, although I think Tomasz would eat him alive in a fight. ( I actually have no evidence whatsoever to base that comment on)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 10:55am

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As it was said, practice kicking. Also, pay attention to your pivot and hip position when kicking.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 4:19pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing that you may want to do is to warm up always, always always, and to stretch the hip abductors andgracilis. Otherwise, you may run the risk of a groin pull - and you... do not... want... that... ****... to happen. Check this link at exrx.net, and study the stretch exercises specific to hip abductors on the right side.

Better yet, see my sig (or follow this link).

Keep in mind that this information is specific to stretching and injury prevention. Whether it helps you kick better, that's another issue (which I think it's a close second after preventing injuries.)

Happy readings.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast