Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 8:58am

Style: BJJ (faixa branca)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for the necro, but I need some advice.

I've been on it for almost 2 weeks now. Lost almost 11 pounds (6 the first week, and so far, 4 this week.) I'm about 6Ft, and started @ 211.4 lbs (yes, I gained weight while doing karate).

Other than two vodkas, a slither thin slice of fried chicken breast and the salt in the food from the eateries by my job, I've been sticking to it very well.... I think. Also, I started the jits about a month ago and am going 2-3 times a week.

I fear I'm not eating enough. I understand that a calorie deficit is essential to loosing the fat, but what are the symptoms/consequences of not taking in enough calories?

Its not that I'm not eating, but getting through a large bowl of salad and two grilled chicken breast takes like half an hour (I'm eating most of my veggies raw). I'm just tired of chewing after lunch and really don't want to eat anything until dinner (even if I'm a tad hungry). I think I'm ranging between 1300 - 1800 calories per day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 10:45am

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think pauli covered briefly, what I think of the paleo diet: it is unrealistically restrictive. People. You can cut out bread and pasta, you can cut out sugary drinks. You can cut out beer, and cake, and muffins, and brownies. You can cut out bacon and pancakes and BBQ. You can cut out sweet tea.

But god damn.

Cut out ALL GRAINS, ALL DAIRY, etc. Who can do that, week after week. I mean seriously, it's hard enough to get on a sensible, healthy diet, and stay on it for a long period of time, but why limit yourself to like 3 things, 80-90%. It's just too much.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 10:47am

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gbemi View Post
    Sorry for the necro, but I need some advice.

I've been on it for almost 2 weeks now. Lost almost 11 pounds (6 the first week, and so far, 4 this week.) I'm about 6Ft, and started @ 211.4 lbs (yes, I gained weight while doing karate).

Other than two vodkas, a slither thin slice of fried chicken breast and the salt in the food from the eateries by my job, I've been sticking to it very well.... I think. Also, I started the jits about a month ago and am going 2-3 times a week.

I fear I'm not eating enough. I understand that a calorie deficit is essential to loosing the fat, but what are the symptoms/consequences of not taking in enough calories?

Its not that I'm not eating, but getting through a large bowl of salad and two grilled chicken breast takes like half an hour (I'm eating most of my veggies raw). I'm just tired of chewing after lunch and really don't want to eat anything until dinner (even if I'm a tad hungry). I think I'm ranging between 1300 - 1800 calories per day.
    I'd be eating 2500 calories a day if I was you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 1:08pm

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I need some advice.

I've been on it for almost 2 weeks now. Lost almost 11 pounds (6 the first week, and so far, 4 this week.) I'm about 6Ft, and started @ 211.4 lbs.

I think I'm ranging between 1300 - 1800 calories per day.
    What Yohan said and:

When following diets the thought is that overall weight loss is the same as fat loss. However, a pound of fat has 3500 calories, so 3500cals x 11 pounds = 38,500 calories over two weeks. That is 2750 calories a day from burning fat. The actual fat loss is probably not 11 pounds. The majority of the weight loss is probably water followed by muscle, then fat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 8:52pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fascinating topic. I'm going to chime in with an unlearned hypothesis in the hopes that one of you folks might know if I'm on the right track.

Regarding dairy not being part of the "paleo" diet: for many europeans, some in the middle east and south asia, and some few in africa, dairy has been consumed for many thousands of years, maybe not since paleolithic times, but certainly long enough that some of these groups have evolved to produce lactase (in order to digest milk sugars) throughout their lives, and not only in infancy.

So maybe the dairy prohibition of the "paleo" diet doesn't apply to everyone equally. What do you think? Is it addressed in the paleo diet book?

is badder than you

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 8:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to drive it home: if you change your diet or activity, and your body composition changes immediately, the change always consists of the amount of water you're retaining. Don't include the transition period in your calculations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    5/10/2009 1:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can someone explain to me the technical details of this diet. Is there a porportion of you calories that should come from carbs/protein/fat or is just eliminating grains, beans, potatoes, sugar, salt, and dairy?

I would just read the book, but it doesn't seem to be available in this country, and I've been searching the internet and I couldn't find the information. I did find the cliff notes of the version for athletes that explains the difference, thought.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2009 8:22am

Style: BJJ (faixa branca)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you fellas for the advice. I'll keep it in mind. Does anyone know the symptoms of muscle loss? I'm new to my current MA, so I suck anyway. I can't really tell from a 'decrease' in performance perspective.

there are a lot of things in the diet that aren't exactly 'paleo', like diet soda. And of course, generalizing for all paleo civilizations is absurd. As far as I'm concerned, the 'paleo' part is just a starting point and I'm concerned more with tested results and over-all health rather than going out of my way to cave-man larp. I had a fasting blood test before I started, and will do so again in three months. Regardless of the weight and energy results, if my doc doesn't like what he sees, I'm off of it.

Basics of Paleo:

Most of your food will be from 1)lean meats & fish 2) fruits and vegetables 3) some nuts and oils thrown in for good measure. About 50% of your calories are from lean meats and fish.

No salt. You get what your body needs from the meats anyway (that is a sure fire way to see water weight drop dramatically).

No grains at all, no refined sugars, no starchy tubers (potatos being the biggest offender). All carbs come from fruits and veggies, not grains. And no dairy (though, I'm not convinced of the author's reasoning behind being able to get sufficient vitamin D from other sources i.e. standing in the sun light. Most people have a vit. D deficiency as it is.)

Posted On:
    5/29/2009 9:34am

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been on elements of the Paleo diet for a while.

Before changes I was really strong, but increasingly fat.
    Muscle fatigue prevented my BJJ training, arm shakes numbness.
    Lack of mental focus and ambition.
    Bowel pains cramps.

Started to avoid dairy, white bread, introduced Soya Milk, soya cereals. Feeling worse.

Neo-Palieo

Top strength way down, loss of 20lbs.
    Faster muscle fatigue BUT way faster recovery, no shakes or numbness.
    Way increased mental acuity, motivation.
    No more bowl pain, introduced Dairy back removed Soya.
    Taste for Sweet, Sauces, Ketchup, ect. is non-existant.

I discovered that most in my family had the same condition, my sister had be diagnosed 20 years ago with a spastic colon - turns out it was Gluten allergy. My Paleo had already removed it from my diet, but I thought it was Dairy.

One note that I learned from Vegitarians, my friends they say they can not eat meat cause they lose enzymes, therefore I have not removed anything Totally from my diet, just really reduced the percentages. I do not fear wheat and gluten, but a couple of times a month should keep it as an option...something omnivoirs should consider.

Posted On:
    5/31/2009 1:45pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I'm ranging between 1300 - 1800 calories per day.
    A voluntary reduction to this calorie range is very normal for overweight persons who switch to a low-carb diet, and is especially common in the Paleo diet trials. The reason you don't need to eat more is that your body is metabolizing another ~1000 kcal/day of body fat. You're appetite will strengthen when you reach your base weight and your body starts to demand more energy for homeostasis.

I'm not convinced of the author's reasoning behind being able to get sufficient vitamin D from other sources i.e. standing in the sun light.
    Organ meats (chicken gizzards, calf liver, &c) provide a richer source of fat-soluble vitamins than dairy. If you aren't into that kind of thing, you might want to take a vitamin D supplement.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast