Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    1/30/2008 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The point about milk in Dr. Katz's book basically:-

The balance of types of fat is wrong, and some of the sugars are wrong too IIRC.

He advocates people eating omega-3 enriched eggs and using good quality olive oil.
    Last edited by Cullion; 1/30/2008 4:36pm at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/30/2008 9:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    Don't try and just live on meat dude, you'll probably mess yourself up, just like those american pioneers who got sick after living for a whole long winter just on rabbit.
    Don't worry about that. I wasn't saying I was going to be doing that or advocating anyone else doing that. It was really just me being reactionary (for no good reason) to the idea that meat is bad that a lot of people hold.

But I gotta say that I wouldn't mess myself up like those pioneers considering they would ONLY be eating rabbit and I would (in the incredibly unlikely scenario I would actually be able to and have the resources necessary to do this) only eat one animal and one animal only. Big variety. Not just land animals.

But who cares about all that really. Point being this steak is delicious.

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 5:21am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    breakfast this morning was crayfish and avocado salad with a lemon juice and olive oil dressing with a small bottle of grapefruit, apple & ginger juice
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Moron

Posted On:
    2/02/2008 5:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    breakfast this morning was crayfish and avocado salad with a lemon juice and olive oil dressing with a small bottle of grapefruit, apple & ginger juice
    Seeing how much weight Cullion has dropped, I'm really tempted to try this out.

Posted On:
    2/02/2008 5:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm still doing it. I weighed in on Wednesday at 215 lbs. When I started this in early January I was 228 lbs. I'm probably a few pounds heavier than 215 today because I've had too many cheat beers this week, and missed two workouts.

The main thing I find difficult about it is the price. It can be quite expensive to fill up on lean meat and fresh veggies. I'm going to keep a list here of cheap protein that works on this diet.

Tuna canned in water is an obvious one, but I'm not going to overdo it. (I actually know a guy who became ill whilst trying out a bodybuilding programme and his Dr. told him it was because he was eating so much tuna that he'd developed low-level mercury poisoning from it).

There are south asian grocers in Oxford (on the Cowley road) that sell big bags of raw unsalted nuts.

Gonna try and find sardines canned in water (smaller fish which are lower down the food chain have much lower mercury levels apparently).

I <3 Sirc.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/02/2008 10:07am

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I buy tuna I always try to buy tongol because that and white albacore are typically the only two types I can find and the tongol should have lower mercury levels.

This is a pretty good read about mercury levels in fish.

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?pfrie...eorge&dbid=105

Posted On:
    2/02/2008 11:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cullion, thats awesome dude. Keep it up and you'll be in bikini shape by summer I'm sure.

I recently read that eating meat was the only way for early primates to get enough energy to fuel their big beautiful brains (since brain cells require vastly more energy than say, skeletal muscle.)

So SUCK IT Vegans!! If it as up to you we'd all by dumb as cows.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2008 8:07pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tuna canned in water is an obvious one, but I'm not going to overdo it. (I actually know a guy who became ill whilst trying out a bodybuilding programme and his Dr. told him it was because he was eating so much tuna that he'd developed low-level mercury poisoning from it).
    I wouldn't worry too much about the mercury thing.

This is literally the first time I've ever heard of an actual human having mercury poison from eating fish.

Or course, its in a single guy in another country, that a guy I've never met told me about in an internet forum. So its still a pretty small sample size. But its a guy you actually know, so I understand the concern.

My point is, I wouldn't worry a whole, whole lot about it as long as you aren't eating multiple cans a day.

Not sure if eggs are on the paleo diet, but egg whites, at least in the states, are a really cheap source of high quality protein. I buy 18 every Sunday, boil them up that night, then have 2 - 3 Whites and a Yolk every morning.

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 7:03am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eggs are on the paleo diet. He recommends getting the Omega 3 enriched type and eating the yolk as well.

I don't eat a lot of eggs, just a couple scrambled (without adding milk or cream) for breakfast a couple of times a week.

The guy who got a bit sick (not hospital sick, just felt a bit unwell for a while) was eating massive amounts of tuna, multiple cans a day every day.

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 1:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought one of these hand-held electrical resistance based body-fat analyzers a couple of weeks ago. I know that many find them inaccurate, but it should at least be able to indicate the direction of progress.

Last week, I had too many cheat beers, and missed one MA class and one Gym workout.

Instead of one of my normal bodyweight morning workout I did 8 sets of: 10 kettlebell swings on each hand, and some strength work and lighter cardio in the two sessions at the gym.

I upped my meat intake, of note was that I also ate an _enormous_ thai chicken curry in coconut milk (all ingredients still allowed on paleo diet) which felt like it took 2 days to digest. Like 4 chicken breasts in a single meal.

When I weighed in the morning after, instead of losing 5 lbs as in previous weeks, I had gained a pound in weight (pretty sure that will be gone after having taken a big dump).

But the bodyfat analyser said I had dropped 1% in body fat, and looking at myself in the mirror I do actually have more muscular definition than I did just a couple of weeks ago.

I lost so much weight early on in this diet, that I could win the bet I had with the guy at work without losing a single pound in February, and just losing at a steady 1-2 lbs per week in March. I only have 15 more pounds to win, I got 50% of the halfway target for a 3 month challenge in the first 4 weeks.

I think I'm going to do more kettlebells and bodyweight stuff and eat a bit more meat in most of Feb and just try and get the bodyfat % down without worrying about total weight loss (I'll avoid gaining).

I'll still do some cardio outside MA classes, but I think that I must have been losing a reasonable proportion of lean mass with too much intense cardio (relative to what my body was ready for) and too few calories when I was losing 5lbs a week.

Aside from Beer, I am still finding this diet very easy to stick to. Energy levels are fine. I can eat a steak when I want, just ask for extra salad in place of the potatoes. An awful lot of thai food, which is my favourite Asian food, seems to be made off the 'paleo diet' list if you leave out the rice dish.

Coconut-milk curries, spicey chicken soup and thai meat-heavy salads FTW.
    Last edited by Cullion; 2/08/2008 1:26pm at .

I <3 Sirc.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast