Sponsored Links Spacer Image

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    4/04/2007 3:01pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaii
    Did you actually read the information, or are you just making blanket statements?
    I wasn't referring directly to the paleo diet, but to the many variations on the low-carb theme. So that would make it more or less a blanket statement. As for the paleo diet, what I read doesn't seem unsound. "Silly claims" aside, it is probably pretty good--it's the silly name that gets me. And to be pedantic, "neolithic" diet would be far more accurate.

:icescream
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/04/2007 3:55pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nearly all of our dinners here are paleo, such as the soup i'm about to go make. in a dinner context, you simply won't notice that certain things are missing. it's not cheap, but goddamn do we eat well here!

my mom has been on the paleo diet and has been very happy with the results, with about 15% open (non paleo) meals. she says she's lost weight and has more energy, with the only downside being that when she's hungry, she's hungry. it's worth noting that she tried it out as she was gluten free anyway (and was already limiting dairy), so this was a fairly reasonable step for her.

i'm not following it myself, as i rather like breakfast cereal and i think some of the paleo stuff is idiocy - no legumes? no beans? what the ****? - but it does make it easier to stick to some of my policies like "no processed sugar" and "limited grains." i eat shedloads of fruit, and a nicely varied selection of meat and vegetables.

when you look at what IS on the menu, a paleo diet isn't very far at all from what i've heard mentioned from randy and tito as far as what they eat when training seriously (but without the protein shakes).

it's also worth remembering the open meal thing... from what i can tell, they don't really recommend 24/7 paleo.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/05/2007 11:47am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    knock, knock... house cleaning...

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53351
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2007 6:57am

Style: crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meataxe
    I wasn't referring directly to the paleo diet, but to the many variations on the low-carb theme. So that would make it more or less a blanket statement. As for the paleo diet, what I read doesn't seem unsound. "Silly claims" aside, it is probably pretty good--it's the silly name that gets me. And to be pedantic, "neolithic" diet would be far more accurate.

:icescream
    Right on. I agree with you about the paleo part, though if you read on a bit the terms paleo and neolithic are used almost interchangably, which, while a little goofy, gets the point across.

One very interesting thing about this diet is that my senses have markedly improved over the last month. I think this has something to do with carbs and the content of carbs.

Also, I never really feel "full" as in "stuffed" on this diet. My hunger is sated but I still feel like I could get out and run around without feeling nauseous or remotely slowed down. It's pretty cool.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2007 7:04am

Style: crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i'm not following it myself, as i rather like breakfast cereal and i think some of the paleo stuff is idiocy - no legumes? no beans? what the ****? - but it does make it easier to stick to some of my policies like "no processed sugar" and "limited grains." i eat shedloads of fruit, and a nicely varied selection of meat and vegetables.
    Some beans are toxic. It's got to do with them being seeds and needing a protective function. Apple seeds are one type of seed that I know to work in a similar way (they contain a small amount of cyanide, albeit negligible as far as them being lethal in small amounts goes). Cooking beans removes enough toxins to allow them to be edible, but that doesn't necessarily make them good for you. There are in depth descriptions of why beans aren't that great by and large on the site. Plus I toot a lot when I eat beans, and seriously, no one wants that. I'm pretty sure I could drive wildlife out of a swamp with my gas.

when you look at what IS on the menu, a paleo diet isn't very far at all from what i've heard mentioned from randy and tito as far as what they eat when training seriously (but without the protein shakes).
    That's pretty interesting. I've never looked at their diets much. As far as protein shakes, I'm in the same boat, as I'm putting on weight, like I mentioned earlier. Rice protein is one of the 2 exceptions I make to the diet.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    1/30/2008 12:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm bumping this old thread because I started to try out the paleo diet about 3 weeks ago.

I am not counting calories. I eat enough to not feel hungry or lethargic. I cheat by drinking beer a couple of nights a week. I have no accurate method of measuring body fat currently available. I have 2 MA classes and 5 workouts a week. I'm not training maximal strength at all at the moment. I do high-rep swings with a 24kg kettlebell twice a week, bodyweight muscular endurance stuff 3 mornings a week and go to the gym to use the elliptical twice per week.

A typical day for me would consist of the following (this is what I ate yesterday):-

Breakfast:-
    A large handful of macadamia nuts
    An apple
    A banana

Morning snack:-
    A banana, an orange, some trail mix (according to the proportion of the packet I ate, this would be about 400 calories total)

Lunch:-
    A 8oz rare steak and a double portion of salad to make up for the lack of my usual jacket potato

Afternoon snack:-
    Another 2 bananas.

Snack before class:-
    A few handfuls of walnuts

Supper after class:-
    3 grilled chicken wings (no batter/breadcrumb coating).
    Snacked on some cherry tomatoes

I drink water and green tea throughout the day.

I have been losing 5 lbs per week since early January.

My energy levels initially dropped, but curiously only in muscular endurance workouts (longer-duration cardio was fine and carried on improving).
    The drop in carbs must have given my muscles a shock with a sudden reduction in glycogen.
    The number of reps I could do roughly halved.

Without changing the diet, my energy levels are now back up to normal, and I added the kettlebell workout last week to try and minimise muscle losses and give me the kind of intense intervals recommended for body composition training.

Maybe the thing they claim that dropping the high-glycemic index and/or processed carbs will mean your body has to adapt to burning more fatty acids is true. I certainly seem to have experienced a brief but dramatic 'dip' in glycogen levels which has now returned to normal whilst cardio (both steady and anaerobic) endurance continues to improve with training.

5lbs a week for 3 weeks seems absurd. I am certainly not going to attempt to maintain it.
    Hopefully, it's just a decent level of fat loss (I did have plenty to lose and have maintained a good exercise volume), combined with the water loss that accompanies the beginning of many diets.

If it happens for the fourth week next week, I'm going to try and dramatically increase my lean meat intake for extra calories and add a couple of sessions of heavy lifting to stave off muscle loss. I want to reach 200lbs by mid-April.

I feel fine though, haven't noticed any strength or endurance loss wrestling in class.

Aside from the cost, it seems to work so far.
    Last edited by Cullion; 1/30/2008 12:09pm at .
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/30/2008 1:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm... If you could get lots of organs to eat you could probably make the paleo diet even more realistic.

Posted On:
    1/30/2008 2:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Liver and kidney from calves, pigs and lambs are still popular and easy to find in Britain.
    (in every supermarket and artisan butchers shop).

They're on my shopping list. Deviled kidney and calf liver fried with onions with home-made gravy are favourites of mine..

Geek point: As far as the 'neo' vs 'paleo' thing they refer to two well defined different epochs in human development. The neolithic era was the 'new' stone age that emerged after the end of the last ice age, and was the beginning of animal domestication, grain farming and settled communities.

People didn't have access to large quantities of grain or milk products before that. That's why versions of this diet which don't allow milk, beans or much if any whole-grains are properly referred to as 'paleo'.

The most thorough scientific explanation of the benefits of the paleo diet I found was in a book by Dr. Tamir Katz (a US qualified MD) in a $4 dollar e-book you should be able to find by googling his name.

There's no e-book protection on the pdf you get, but it looks like he put a lot of work in (he also includes some bodyweight muscular endurance and strength workouts much like some authors would charge over $20 for).

At $4 dollars for a well researched e-book which cites peer-reviewed papers I think it's fairer to let people google his name and pay if they are interested.

He acknowledges that paleo-lithic hunters still dug up and ate tubers, but argues that modern potatoes are the result of hundreds of years of selective breeding, have too high a glycemic index and are still mildly toxic raw.

Lower-GI stuff that can be safely eaten raw like carrots or sweet potatoes are according to him still fine raw or cooked.
    Last edited by Cullion; 2/02/2008 5:52am at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/30/2008 2:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the tip about the e-book. I will probably look that up and buy it at some point.

I actually like the idea of diets that are based on hunter/gatherer societies rather than agriculturally based ones.

It just reminds me of people blaming meat eating vs. vegetarian for so many health concerns rather than looking at the bigger picture of their overall diets. Also not taking into consideration societies that ate pretty much exclusively animals and then adopting more and more modern diets start encountering more and more health problems that were virtually non-existant in their societies. No vegetables? Where they get nutrients?! ORGANS!

That was a stupid rant but it was fun. I would really actually like to try more organ meats because they are surely damn good for you but not exactly easy to come by a plethora of different organ meats. I would also have no idea how to prepare spleen.

There is a great show on the Travel channel here where a man goes to different societies all around the world and tries whatever various local delicacies he can find. Eyes, brains, various other organs. It would be nice to be able to incorporate these things into that diet.

Posted On:
    1/30/2008 3:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all, meat consumption in paleolithic eras varied with climate. The colder the climate, the more meat people ate (as is true with hunter-gatherer societies today).

Secondly, the idea of 'all meat being best' is not grounded in any anthropological study I know of. Humans have the teeth and guts of omnivores. We have been adapted to eat a mix of nuts, berries, fish, fruit, certain lower-GI roots and tubers and meat. Not just meat. If we were adapted to just eat meat we'd have teeth like a tiger or wolf. We don't.

The point is that processed grains and modern potatoes are too high in glycemic index, potatoes and some legumes retain some toxins even after cooking and that animal milk is just not something we had significant amounts of until relatively recently.

Don't try and just live on meat dude, you'll probably mess yourself up, just like those american pioneers who got sick after living for a whole long winter just on rabbit.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast