Posted On:
    3/31/2007 3:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No teens practice BJJ?

Hey guys,

I'm new to these forums and I have a question about teens in BJJ. I'm 17 years old and it seems to me that BJJ (and a lot of grappling arts in general) are dominated by people in their late 20's and older. Even on forums like these, I usually don't find anyone my age that trains in BJJ. I've practiced it for about six months now and really enjoy it, but I'm beginning to wonder if there are more people my age out there that enjoy BJJ too. I train at a BJJ place in Tampa, but with people much older than I am. Is there a reason for this? And are there any teens here that practice BJJ too?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2007 3:36pm

Style: GoJu-Ryu (karate) BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think its because of the close contact.

Young guys are probably sexualy insecure to practice BJJ, since the guard and the mount screams GAY.

Also, BJJ is a lot less flashy than TKD/Kung-fu. A lot of movie condicion the kids to be ninjas and cool Shaolin Monks etc. But who want to go to school and say that they roll around on the ground with other guys and go into North-South .
    I think you (US) call it north south, its the almost 69 position, we here call it "Meia-Lua" (half-moon).

Also for someone who does not know how to fight BJJ looks a lot borring, and useless. Punch and kick looks a lot more usefull.
    You probably see on BJJ people who have already trained on stand up and now wish to learn how to grapple. These people are of course older, as they need time to atain this state.
    Last edited by mya; 3/31/2007 3:38pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2007 3:37pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 17, started when I was sixteen, been training for about maybe like.. 6 months too.

Its probably just because high school rules out anything until after like 3-4 o clock in the afternoon, then we still have like afterschool **** and homework

That and the whole fact that lots of kids are like "grappling is gay"/ theres a shitload of people out there who'd rather learn "cool flipping ****" in TKD than manhugging in BJJ.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/31/2007 5:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there are PLENTY of High school wrestlers, maybe your looking at the wrong crowd

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/01/2007 2:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are lots of guys in your age bracket that train. However, they also often have the opprotunity to train with their school's wrestling teams. The smart ones take advantage of that.

Posted On:
    4/01/2007 2:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with t3h Dick V.D. A solid foundation of ninjitsu in your youth will benefit you more than rolling around on the ground "passing for mounts" and "submitting a position". What are you going to do when you pull guard on the street and get a nice fat AIDS needle stuck in your ass?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/01/2007 2:46am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a THROWIN STAR not a BOWLIN STAR

wrestlin' team.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/01/2007 5:23am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ignore them. Much like certain cereals, shinobishinobishinobishinobishinobi shinobishinobishinobishinobishinobi is supposed to be just for kids.

Posted On:
    4/01/2007 8:44am

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrestling is fake, kiddos, so time to put chilidish things aside and start training the way of the ninja. Your days of bullshido have come to an end!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2007 10:27am

Style: Muay thai - Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exactly, that is why I dropped that silly muay thai and now train in the deadly art of ninjitsu.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast