Posted On:
    3/31/2007 10:00am

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

One Source Progressive Fighting

Greetings all,

Being in law enforcement and a DT instructor, I am subjected to quite a lot of junk mail involving defensive tactics for police. Yesterday I got a post card flyer thing for this place

www.onesourceprogressivefighting.com

At first glance I must say I wasn't impressed, it looks like alot of CMA techniques and concepts, though some of the instructors claim some FMA and BJJ training. The testimonials page doesn't hold weight with me because I know the majority of cops know little about martial arts or fighting.

I started to dismiss the whole thing but then thought I should take advantage of the great Bullshido investigation team. After all, I consider myself open minded and will gladly steal techniques from anywhere.

I did the search and couldn't find any reference to this in the past. Has anyone had any experience with this group or know any of the instructors?

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    3/31/2007 12:11pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like a JKD school - and it has affiliations to PFS (which is good IMO).

Check out the instructors page at www.fighting.net to see if he has trained under Vunak in PFS or has just met him at a seminar.

His lineage (if correct) would make him a good school on paper - only by training there could you confirm it one way or the other

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    3/31/2007 12:41pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for Stephen W. Mosley

He is currently an apprentice instructor in Filipino Martial Arts and Jun Fan Gung Fu under Guro Dan Inosanto and also studies Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Sifu Stephen Grantham.
    A search for Stephen Grantham turned up this:

http://www.granthammartialarts.com/i...20Grantham.htm

Brown Belt - Gracie Jiu-Jitsu - under Professor Pedro Sauer (6th Degree Black Belt under Helio/Rickson Gracie)
    And the class schedule:

http://www.granthammartialarts.com/c...dule/class.htm

He advertises his classes specifically as Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. I've noticed that's something I've seen the Pedro Sauer schools. Also, I did find his name under the list of brown belts for Pedro Sauer using onthemat.com. I had to do a search for Pedro Sauer and then scroll down to the list of brown belts that onthemat's database currently has.

Now one Stephen Grantham's page, you will find Stephen W. Mosley's bio as well:

http://www.granthammartialarts.com/i...eve_mosley.htm

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu - White Belt (2 Stripes)
    While I wouldn't be running out to learn ground fighting from him, it seems he is ranked high in Kali, however:

Phoenix Martial Arts Academy Ranks

Jing Mo Kuen - Brown Belt
    Filipino Martial Arts (Kali) - 1st Degree Black Belt
    Muay Thai Kickboxing - Level I
    Gracie Jiu-Jitsu - White Belt (2 Stripes)
    His rank in it is from Phoenix Martial Arts which means it would be dependant on who there gave him this rank as to how good that person is in that particular art.

The BJJ is the only thing I have the resources to verify so that's what I focused on. A lot of people put in their bio that they are currently studying BJJ. Usually if they are a purple belt or above, they usually have that listed in their bio; from my experience. If they are not, you tend to find the "currently studying BJJ" tag. Nothing wrong with it per say but if they are planning on teaching ground fighting and more specifically, BJJ, then that is an area you want to get more information on. Most people trying to teach aren't going to put "2-stripe white belt" as their ranking in BJJ; especially if they plan on teaching some manner of ground fighting in their classroom.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by datdamnmachine; 3/31/2007 12:44pm at .

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/31/2007 12:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info.

That is interesting about posting the white belt/ 2 stripe thing. I have known a few guys who were perfectly competent ground fighters/ instructors though they didn't have any rank in BJJ (technically making them white belts) but to list it like that on your bio is a little different.

I wouldn't mind training with them for free for a day, but I want to avoid having to spend a week at one of their classes just to find out they know nada.

Posted On:
    3/31/2007 1:02pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems like a bunch of hype. Bottom line is, can the guys fight or not. How do they train. Do they do contact. Any schmuck can go overseas and show some police forces some self-defense training. Like said above, must cops cannot fight. I get skeptical about anything that has to do with JKD and realism.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    3/31/2007 1:50pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyboy
    Thanks for the info.

That is interesting about posting the white belt/ 2 stripe thing. I have known a few guys who were perfectly competent ground fighters/ instructors though they didn't have any rank in BJJ (technically making them white belts) but to list it like that on your bio is a little different.

I wouldn't mind training with them for free for a day, but I want to avoid having to spend a week at one of their classes just to find out they know nada.
    Yeah, there are guys out there who don't hold rank in BJJ and some of the grappling arts but they are damn good. Most people pick up stuff here and never get ranked for one reason or another. Some people train grappling for MMA someplace were there was no rank structure, only good grappling. Then there are others who pick up just enough so they can go back and try to teach it. That's were having friends who have grappling for quite a while come in handy. If there was someone I was curious about, I could invite them to my class or bring the class to that person. Let them give me an idea of were they are at if I can't come up with anything based on me sparring with the person. This can be confusing so I guess the best course of action would be to listen to what sempaiman wrote.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    3/31/2007 2:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyboy
    I started to dismiss the whole thing but then thought I should take advantage of the great Bullshido investigation team.
    You are the Bullshido investigation team.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/31/2007 3:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    You are the Bullshido investigation team.
    Only a small part, I guess I wanted to take advantage of the REST of the team.

More specifically, I hoped someone on the forum had first hand experience with them.
    Last edited by caseyboy; 3/31/2007 4:13pm at .