Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 4:03pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Rebel. When I created that post, I was using "Twinlab AminoFuel (Liquid)" and Betancourt Nutrition's "Glutamine High-C", and that was it.

Currently I'm still using "Glutamine High-C" (one serving each morning - Vitamin C 1,000mg 1,666% + Protein 5g 10% + L-Glutamine 5g), and on top of that, I'm using the following:

1. Branched-chain Aminoacids or BCAA's - (PROLAB BCAA Plus, 90 caps)
    2. HMB (MET-Rx Hardcore HMB, 120 caps)
    3. L-Glutamine (1000mg by NOW Sports) ... this is on top of the glutamine I take in the mornings.
    4. Tribulus Terrestris (Optimum Tribulus 625, 100 caps) 2-3 caps a day for 4-5 weeks and 2 weeks off.

So basically, I switched from a full cocktail and range of aminoacids to specific BCAAs plus HMB. Those are the amino products I'm using. I feel much better, I can recover better, I can sleep better, my weight doesn't go crashing down and I don't waste as much. The change was for the better.

I actually got the idea to rely on BCAAs alone from a post written by Jodie Miller (a former fitness, now bodybuilder competitor) on a nutrition forum back in January.

Three months later, it has been working well.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 4/02/2007 4:05pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 4:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    A common OTC combo for pain and stiffness in ligaments includes the following:

1. MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane)
    2. Glucosamine
    3. Chondroitin (Chondroitin sulfate)

The Macho is correct on the supplement issue you will also hear a lot about fish oil extracts and direct Omega-3 (Omega-?, I think it's "3") stuff but a combo pill with the above three ingredients is cheap and available at any CVS, Walgreens or other drug store, and has worked fine for me...when I remember to take them.

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 4:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    ...when I remember to take them.
    Hehehehe, I have the same problem with just about everything I'm supposed to take :tongue6:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 4:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've noticed a big improvement since I started taking glucosamine/chondroitin supplements about 2.5 months ago. I was having chronic pain in my elbows, knees, and shoulders, and it's pretty much gone away. I try to push the stuff on everyone in my gym.

Does it make a lot of difference what brand you use? I originally bought a 3 month supply of "http://www.osteobiflex.com/pages/products.aspx?PPID=3" because it was on sale, but at regular price it's almost double the generic brand. I've had such great results that I'm hesitating about buying the cheap one, but it's freaking expensive!

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 5:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the most part, the brand shouldn't matter, but always take a look at the nutritional content (say one brand has 1,000mg of this per cap, and this one has 900mg), and then estimate which one gives you the best amount of nutrition per daily serving by the most affordable price. Or do it like me... most of the time, after racking my head calculating ****, I just say "**** it" and stick with a brand to avoid thinking about it.

What if you buy your stuff in bulk. That's what my g/f and I do with the protein shakes. You can save a bundle. Also, maybe give the cheap brands a try; that is, get the MSM, Glutamine and Chondroitin separately and play with the servings - you will see if it works as well or not within a couple of weeks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 5:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the quick reply! I don't really want to mix and match a lot of different brands/servings because I'd never be sure if there was any real difference or if I was imagining things. I'm usually one to say "**** it" and buy the name brand as well :evil5: .

Buying in bulk is a great idea, though. I take enough different supplements and vitamins now that I would save a lot. I really love this sub-forum.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 6:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Off topic here, but

The GripMaster is awesome. I bought one two weeks ago, and I am already seeing fantastic results.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 9:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA, Pitying Fools

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is the Gripmaster that thing with individual springs to work each separate finger? I use one of the traditional grip things, you know, shaped like a V that you squeeze together.

What, specifically, do you like about the Gripmaster? What's better about it?

RZ

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 9:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FYI, we have an ongoing thread on grip conditioning here:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49729

We should keep grip conditioning discussion over there cuz we have three threads already that I don't know how to (or if I should) consolidate into one mega-ass source of grip info.

There is also one that has dealt exclusively with the CoC grippers here : http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51248

However, I would like you guys to keep using this thread and consolidate everything in that thread (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49729
    ), at least until I figure out whether to create a new one, or to consolidate all three existing threads.

Thanks... bitches.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 10:47pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrett
    I've noticed a big improvement since I started taking glucosamine/chondroitin supplements about 2.5 months ago. I was having chronic pain in my elbows, knees, and shoulders, and it's pretty much gone away. I try to push the stuff on everyone in my gym.

Does it make a lot of difference what brand you use? I originally bought a 3 month supply of "http://www.osteobiflex.com/pages/products.aspx?PPID=3" because it was on sale, but at regular price it's almost double the generic brand. I've had such great results that I'm hesitating about buying the cheap one, but it's freaking expensive!
    Sorry for the late reply on this. I'm a spaz about nutrition label reading; probably due to my Energy Drink fixation. Regardless, I buy "Walgreens - Finest Natural" 120 pill supply of Glucosamine/Chondriotin; the pills contain 750mg and 600mg of each per serving and a serving is one pill. I take 2 pills per day.

I bought the 2 month supply for like $6 and they often have "buy one get one free" deals at on Walgreens brand **** so you can get a 4 month supply for under $10 if you shop right.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast