Posted On:
    3/30/2007 5:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA, Pitying Fools

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Smooth Ass Joints

Hello, all:

Got a question for the Bullshido masses. Does anyone take any supplements for their joints? I'm starting to get a bit of pain and stifness in my knees, and I was wondering if anyone knew of anything I could take to promote health in my most used and worn joints.

It doesn't hurt enough to need pain relief. I'm just interested in a quality product that will help everything stay smooth and injury free.

Any ideas?

RZ

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 6:07pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A common OTC combo for pain and stiffness in ligaments includes the following:

1. MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane)
    2. Glucosamine
    3. Chondroitin (Chondroitin sulfate)

Keep in mind that if you are allergic to shellfish, glucosamine and chondroitin may not be safe for you. You never know if they are of shellfish or from terrestrial animal origin.

If you are not allergic to shellfish, you can also add fish oil capsules (or flaxseed oil if you are allergic) to your diet. You may need to make sure you take moderately high amounts of selenium, folate/folic acid (B9), B12, antioxidants (vitamin C and E), and specially vitamin D.

Ginger has been reported as a good pain reliever and anti-inflamatory as well. Swimming is reported as a good therapy for osteoarthritis.

I have some pain in my knees as well, so what I usually do is that I always carry ACE wraps (or knee wraps) and icy-hot or tiger balm. Before I work out or roll, I put icy-hot on my knees and massage deeply (it has to be enough to give you a mild burning sensation). Then I wrap the knee with the wraps. That gives me support and also allows the knee joins to warm up.

I would imagine that a good supplementation with the above nutrients will help in keeping things well-lubricated. Furthermore, I think people should make it a habit of massaging their knees and elbows with icy-hot or tiger balm after heavy training.

Good luck.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2007 12:34am

Style: karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Been drinking a can of joint-juice each morning for about a month and seems to be helping some.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2007 1:26am

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take some rest. If problem persists, go see a doctor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2007 2:33am

Style: Mixed grappling & fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't take any supplements, but I have noticed a non-painful popping in my left wrist and right elbow when I do push-ups over the last few years. The wrist pops first, and the elbow pops further up. It gives me a nice little rhythm section to listen to while working out -- pop-pop, pop-pop, pop-pop... I've never damaged either joint, and it's not getting any worse. it's just kinda wierd.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    3/31/2007 5:45am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Listen to El Macho.

I did, and my knees are doing 100 times better, not to mention my overall training ability (less pain more gain) has increased.

I started taking Prenatal vitamins (they have double folic acid in them).

Posted On:
    3/31/2007 9:59am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    El Macho pretty much ended the thread right there.

I would also add I like to massage my joints affected when warming up to stimulate additional blood flowing before training or lifting. The warm-down is crucial as well; you should include unweighted reps, massage and stretching before jumping into an alternating hot-cold shower. My favourite!
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    3/31/2007 2:29pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    El Macho is right, but I would also add, be easy on your joints. No supplement in the world, or perscription med, for that matter, can replace the finite amount of lubrication/cartilage in your joints. If anything really could, then money it could make would dwarf what they make on MSM, etc.
    What I mean, is, don't do anymore high impact training than necessary- i.e. kicking the bag to failure, jumping until your sore, etc.MSM asnd all that stuff helps a lot of people for mild stuff, but joints aren't like muscles. From a guy that has a lot of aches and pains from the old "no pain, no gain" philosphy that all those roid freaks propagated back in the 70-80's.

Posted On:
    3/31/2007 5:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/01/2007 11:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA, Pitying Fools

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

El Macho, I read your hyper-link on supplements for people over 30 and I was wondering what type/brand of amino acids you use.

Thanks again.

RZ
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast