Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 4:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shotokan Karate

If your intrest is in wanting to learn traditional fighting styles then Shotokan Karate is as traditional as it gets. There are not fancy flashy moves, no ground and pound stuff. This style of fighting and many hundreds of years old with very little change in its present form. I believe even though with todays MMA styles of fighting, Shotokan is one of the purest forms and one of the deadliest. You can find the nearest dojo by going to www.ska.org and click on the dojo directory link.

(F.Y.I. I have this here just to show a little love for the Shotokan Style, if you want to view dojos please click the link and then dojo directory, I train mainly at University of California Long Beachwww.csulb.edu/org/shotokan/ , under the instruction of Godan Sam Abboud.)

(Taken From SKA web site)
    What Is Karate?

"True karate is this: that in daily life one's mind and body be trained and developed in a spirit of humility, and that in critical times, one be devoted utterly to the cause of justice."
    --Gichin Funakoshi

Karate can also be described as a martial art, or fighting method, involving a variety of techniques, including blocks, strikes, evasions, throws, and joint manipulations. Karate practice is divided into three aspects: kihon (basics), kata (forms), and kumite (sparring).
    The word karate is a combination of two Japanese characters: kara, meaning empty, and te, meaning hand; thus, karate means "empty hand." Adding the suffix "-do" (pronounced "doe"), meaning "way," i.e., karate-do, implies karate as a total way of life that goes well beyond the self-defense applications. In traditional karate-do, we always keep in mind that the true opponent is oneself.
    Shotokan founder Gichin Funakoshi has said that "mind and technique become one in true karate." We strive to make our physical techniques pure expressions of our mind's intention, and to improve our mind's focus by understanding the essence of the physical techniques. By polishing our karate practice we are polishing our own spirit or our own mentality. For example, eliminating weak and indecisive movements in our karate helps to eliminate weakness and indecision in our minds--and vice versa.
    It is in this sense that karate becomes a way of life, as we try to become very strong but happy and peaceful people. As Tsutomu Ohshima, chief instructor or shihan of Shotokan Karate of America, has put it, "We must be strong enough to express our true minds to any opponent, anytime, in any circumstance. We must be calm enough to express ourselves humbly."
    One of the unique features of karate training in SKA is what we call Special Training--a series of intensive practices during which we try our best to "face ourselves" and polish our mentality or spirit.
    2007 Shotokan Karate of America. All rights reserved.
    Last edited by Ron9918; 4/06/2007 10:30am at .

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 4:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your intrest is in wanting to learn traditional fighting styles then Shotokan Karate is as traditional as it gets. There are not fancy flashy moves, no ground and pound stuff. This style of fighting and many hundreds of years old with very little change in its present form. I believe even though with todays MMA styles of fighting, Shotokan is one of the purest forms and one of the deadliest.

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 4:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shotokan Karate

If your intrest is in wanting to learn traditional fighting styles then Shotokan Karate is as traditional as it gets. There are not fancy flashy moves, no ground and pound stuff. This style of fighting and many hundreds of years old with very little change in its present form. I believe even though with todays MMA styles of fighting, Shotokan is one of the purest forms and one of the deadliest.

Posted On:
    4/05/2007 12:45pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Activity not just your alive

Aliveness I believe is refering if the classes are full of energy or if they are kinda dull. In any Shotokan dojo you attend you will find that every class is full of energy and there is little down time in between drils. When you end a practice you are not mearly physically tired but mentally as well. This is why I gave a rating of 10 for Aliveness :5shocking

Posted On:
    4/05/2007 1:00pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

To Mr. Gracie

Some of the names you have asked for I will gladly give them to you, but do know these are not MMA fighters nor Pride or anything of the sort. These men train in Shotokan in order to better their lives and not mearly show how tough they are by attending high end fighing leagues. Here are some names as you have requested. Tsutomu Ohshima, Sam Abboud, David Lechuga, Ken Osborn, Tom Mazukla, Don Depree, Gary Shockley, Daniel Sakurai, Norman Welch. These are just to name a few of the men who have been training much of thier lives in this style and all are held in high esteem throughout the marital arts community.
    Last edited by Ron9918; 4/06/2007 10:40am at .

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    4/05/2007 1:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, this particular area isn't for reviewing styles but for reviewing a particular dojo. Presumably one where you train. Also please review the ratings guidelines.