Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

poser

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 10:26pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maverick, you brought up the point that the problem lies in determining whether or not a beltholder is "legit," or what a "legit" black belt is supposed to be. And this is indeed a problem. One solution is, of course, eliminating belts, thus avoiding the whole issue. But this creates a whole host of other issues, and a bit like opening a bottle with a sledgehammer. Another solution is to standardize belt requirements, which would be a total nightmare. A third solution, which is what I'd like to see happen, is a reduction in bullshit (bullshit in this case meaning something that we can all agree to be fraudulent or inherently sucky) within each style, so that belts will standardize themselves... in other words, a BJJ black belt means the same thing at any BJJ school because there is so little bullshit in BJJ, while a TKD black belt probably doesn't, because your TKD belt could easily be a BS belt, or you could conversely be a god at a BS school. Naturally, this would require a lot more time and a lot more Bullshido members to pull off, but damn it would be great if it worked.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 5:56am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well said kwoww

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 8:30am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    Maverick, you brought up the point that the problem lies in determining whether or not a beltholder is "legit," or what a "legit" black belt is supposed to be. And this is indeed a problem. One solution is, of course, eliminating belts, thus avoiding the whole issue. But this creates a whole host of other issues, and a bit like opening a bottle with a sledgehammer. Another solution is to standardize belt requirements, which would be a total nightmare. A third solution, which is what I'd like to see happen, is a reduction in bullshit (bullshit in this case meaning something that we can all agree to be fraudulent or inherently sucky) within each style, so that belts will standardize themselves... in other words, a BJJ black belt means the same thing at any BJJ school because there is so little bullshit in BJJ, while a TKD black belt probably doesn't, because your TKD belt could easily be a BS belt, or you could conversely be a god at a BS school. Naturally, this would require a lot more time and a lot more Bullshido members to pull off, but damn it would be great if it worked.
    If you're ever able to achieve any of those "solutions" you'll have a lucrative career in cat herding.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 3:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    If you're ever able to achieve any of those "solutions" you'll have a lucrative career in cat herding.
    Smart Ass Fu FTW.

LOL

poser

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 4:39pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    Well I have four cats already, and I can usually herd them inside at night, but I realize I might have bitten off more than I can chew.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 7:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    Well I have four cats already, and I can usually herd them inside at night, but I realize I might have bitten off more than I can chew.

This implies that you are in the process of obtaining more cats.
    This would explain some of your....lets just say....more questionable behavior

:)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2007 12:16am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What scope of standardization do you want? Universal, just within styles, because at the moment many organizations are pretty standard...granted, mostly a black belt means you're just a bit less shitty than any other belt (though you have less of an excuse for being that shitty).
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456