Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 8:21am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    If the belt meant anything the GREAT. I look at my BJJ instructor and his BB and KNOW that he is a qualified instructor.

I look at at my TKD instructor, and realize that she hasnt taken a class in 5 years, or sparred in 3.

See the difference?
    You "know" he's a qualified instructor because you've either trained with him or have seen him train (himself or others) and are qualified to make such a judgement. If you have not seen him do either then you don't "know" that he's a qualified instructor, you're making a guess and believing your assumption.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 1:08pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    You "know" he's a qualified instructor because you've either trained with him or have seen him train (himself or others) and are qualified to make such a judgement. If you have not seen him do either then you don't "know" that he's a qualified instructor, you're making a guess and believing your assumption.

Having the reputation BJJ has for a no BS belt system, you can safely assume that a BB in BJJ knows his ****, and is a qualified grappler.

Simply asking where he earned it will verify his BB status in BJJ.

Having the reputation TKD has for having a shitty belt system, you can assume that the BB means very little. Checking with the Organization they received the belt from will garner you no reassurance. Therefore one must train with said BB in order to gauge their skill level.

My point is that it is safer to assume someone with a legit BB in BJJ is a qualified grappler, then it is to assume that a BB in TKD is a qualified stand up fighter.

Therefore a total revamp of the belt awarding system is in order in TKD , IMO. If need be then a new Org. can be started.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 1:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having the reputation BJJ has for a no BS belt system, you can safely assume that a BB in BJJ knows his ****, and is a qualified grappler.

Well, to be fair, you said "qualified instructor." A BB in BJJ will more or less guarantee that he is a good grappler, but whether he is a good teacher is a different matter... I think you would have to go take a class with him to see him he is or not.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 1:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oooooor, and bear with me, people stop giving a **** about what belt someone is wearing. Seriously, who gives a ****. I"ve seen so many people wear so many different belts that it's mind boggling. If some asshat wants to buy a black belt in whatever art will selll it, great, I don't care. I'll still be able to kick his ass and take it from him if I chose too. They aren't bothering me otherwise. I'm not one to deprive someone of pleasure in life, especially if that pleasure involves wearing an antiquated peice of fashion. The objective fact that I can turn them into a pretzel or a dripping tomato can will still stand. Live and let live.

You know what bothers me more than belts? Trucker hats. But you don't see me starting a crusade to abolish trucker hats.
    Fair enough, I said somewhere that it would be damn near impossible to make any global changes. I can dream though.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 1:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    Well, to be fair, you said "qualified instructor." A BB in BJJ will more or less guarantee that he is a good grappler, but whether he is a good teacher is a different matter... I think you would have to go take a class with him to see him he is or not.

Misuse of terms. Sorry, wont happen again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 4:10pm

Style: karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally Posted by oldman34
    If the belt meant anything the GREAT. I look at my BJJ instructor and his BB and KNOW that he is a qualified instructor.

I look at at my TKD instructor, and realize that she hasnt taken a class in 5 years, or sparred in 3.

See the difference?
    just because someone hasnt sparred in awhile doesn't mean that they can't teach.

Lets say you have someone who did full contact for so many years and quit for a medical reason or something else but still teaches. Just because they can't kick over their head anymore or move around as good as they used to doesn't mean they can't teach somone else to do it.

Granted I would have more respect for a teacher who gets out there and spars with everyone on a regular or a semi-regular basis but if they don't and what they teach is valid and helps me to improve I'm not going to dismiss them.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 7:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtkarate
    just because someone hasnt sparred in awhile doesn't mean that they can't teach.

Lets say you have someone who did full contact for so many years and quit for a medical reason or something else but still teaches. Just because they can't kick over their head anymore or move around as good as they used to doesn't mean they can't teach somone else to do it.

Granted I would have more respect for a teacher who gets out there and spars with everyone on a regular or a semi-regular basis but if they don't and what they teach is valid and helps me to improve I'm not going to dismiss them.
    Do me a favor. Please read the ENTIRE THREAD, then post.

I used "instuctor", I should have used skills. I said this a few posts back.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 8:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Having the reputation TKD has for having a shitty belt system, you can assume that the BB means very little. Checking with the Organization they received the belt from will garner you no reassurance. Therefore one must train with said BB in order to gauge their skill level.

My point is that it is safer to assume someone with a legit BB in BJJ is a qualified grappler, then it is to assume that a BB in TKD is a qualified stand up fighter.

Therefore a total revamp of the belt awarding system is in order in TKD , IMO. If need be then a new Org. can be started.
    You're still making educated guesses and assuming based on preconceived notions, regardless if they are correct or not. The misuse of terms happened not in the word "instructor" but in the word "know".

Additionally, your use of the word "legit" shows an inherent bias. If someone is a "legit" BJJ black belt, then yes, he is probably a good grappler. If someone is a "legit" TKD black belt, then he is probably a good striker. The entirety of the problem is determining the level of "legit" that is present in the person holding the belt.

What you should have said is that the likelihood of encountering a "legit" BJJ black belt is much higher than encountering a "legit" TKD black belt.
    Last edited by MaverickZ; 4/11/2007 8:09pm at .

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 8:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What you should have said is that the likelihood of encountering a "legit" BJJ black belt is much higher than encountering a "legit" TKD black belt.
    I did say that. I may not have said it well though. :)

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 10:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You missed the point of my last post. This is due to some kind of internal bias. I don't care enough to further pursue this point.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast