Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 8:21pm

Style: wing chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    was given the impression thier were some major technical differences between sambo and bjj. maybe thats what i get for relying on just that one source.

to anybody reading my posts. swear i can spell better. work night shift and get on computer after been on the job for a while without any sleep.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 8:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    IT'S NOT A JUDOGI IT'S A JIUJITSUGI. UNLESS YOU'RE REALLY REALLY CHEAP.

/petulance
    You're right, my omission. There is a difference between a judogi and a jiujitsugi. The vanity of the jiujitsudoka requires a tailored designer Judogi instead of a Judogi bound by a rule set, in addition to the patches. These two changes together turn it into a jiujitsugi.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 3/30/2007 8:49pm at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 11:19pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    The vanity of the jiujitsudoka requires a tailored designer Judogi instead of a Judogi bound by a rule set, in addition to the patches. These two changes together turn it into a jiujitsugi.
    I was taught that the jiu-jitsu gi is tapered at the sleeves and ankles to make it more difficult to get your thumb or four fingers into them. The top is shorter in length than the Judo gi to limit the effectiveness of the, wrap his own collar around his arm/shoulder, series of techniques.

I do know that a gi made for Judo is easier to take grab onto because of the wider openings at sleeves and pants.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    3/31/2007 8:40am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    I was taught that the jiu-jitsu gi is tapered at the sleeves and ankles to make it more difficult to get your thumb or four fingers into them. The top is shorter in length than the Judo gi to limit the effectiveness of the, wrap his own collar around his arm/shoulder, series of techniques.

I do know that a gi made for Judo is easier to take grab onto because of the wider openings at sleeves and pants.

And, it looks absolutely fabulous.

If you don't mind, I'd like to continue to substitute my own reality for this situation. I would much prefer to think it's all a vanity issue rather than the real reason these type of shenanigans caused annoying Judogi rules to be implemented in the first place: creating a Judogi harder to use against the wearer in order to gain an artificial edge in Judo competition.

Out of curiosity, has NAGA or other competition bodies standardized their jiujitsugi rules yet?
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    3/31/2007 9:30am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as I know there are very specific rules over the lengths of cuffs and trouserlegs, size of gi in relation to competitor, that sort of thing, for the Mundials at least.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    4/01/2007 8:30pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by robin2chris
    was given the impression thier were some major technical differences between sambo and bjj. maybe thats what i get for relying on just that one source.

to anybody reading my posts. swear i can spell better. work night shift and get on computer after been on the job for a while without any sleep.
    you probably won't see much elaborate guardwork in sambo. You probably won't see frickin' crazy throws that land you in a heelhook that is simoultaneously a calf crank on the other leg in bjj.

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 12:17pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SAMBO will focus more on an aggressive takedown and top game strategy. Transitions from takedowns to immediate leglocks are fairly common. Guardwork is present, but not quite the focus that it is in BJJ. Regaining the top position tends to be preferred, although attacks from the bottom do happen.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 2:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    SAMBO will focus more on an aggressive takedown and top game strategy. Transitions from takedowns to immediate leglocks are fairly common. Guardwork is present, but not quite the focus that it is in BJJ. Regaining the top position tends to be preferred, although attacks from the bottom do happen.
    How is that different from BJJ? In fact, that's one gameplan of many BJJ fighters (except for takedowns to immediate leglocks, which don't seem that common but not unheard of). If anything, as a group BJJ fighters tend to have a exhibit a large range of strategies. There's a lot of individualism in BJJ.

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 6:02pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by frodo
    How is that different from BJJ? In fact, that's one gameplan of many BJJ fighters (except for takedowns to immediate leglocks, which don't seem that common but not unheard of). If anything, as a group BJJ fighters tend to have a exhibit a large range of strategies. There's a lot of individualism in BJJ.
    I think this is something a lot of "outsiders" never realize about BJJ. A simple example of this could be Jeff Monson and Pe de Pano. Monson's more about aggressive takedowns and taking top position, whereas Pe de Pano has an extremely tight guard game. An obvious and boring example is Eddie Bravo. Eduardo Telles paid his dues by taking the BJJ turtle game to a level most BJJ players will never touch. Or how about Marcelo "Take the Back" Garcia? Sure, these guys are all strong at just about everything, but they all have certain things that they've put their signatures on.

There's so much room for individuality in BJJ that I'm kind of surprised it's not turning into a total hippie lovefest.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 7:20pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True, no doubt. But watch a SAMBO match, and watch a BJJ match. In general SAMBO players spend more time working on takedowns than the average BJJ practicioner. They tend to be a bit better at it. It tends to show in the matches. BJJ practitioners tend to be a bit better working off there backs with more guard variation, and the derivative sweeps and submissions.

With all that being said, there are some BJJ people who are damn good at takedowns and top game, and there are some SAMBO people that are damn good off their backs. But we're talking generalities here.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast