Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 8:44am

Style: wing chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

sambo against bjj?

read a magazine article that suggested the ankle locks and some other stuff found in sambo could effectively counter bjj technique. same article suggested this is why submission wrestling has become more popular with nhb fighting. the kinds of locks found in sambo or submission wrestling were not farmiliar to bjj students. sound feasable?

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 9:02am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please start your general grappling question threads in Guantanamo Bay. This forum is for specific discussion of ground technique and strategies.

To answer your question, leglocks are featured prominently in the curriculum of some BJJ schools, like mine for instance. However it is probably true that the average Sambo school trains them more heavily than the average BJJ school, especially for the lower ranks.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 9:37am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a White Belt at RGA London, we do not get taught Leg Locks and are not allowed to use them while in the Beginner's class.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 9:44am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by robin2chris
    read a magazine article that suggested the ankle locks and some other stuff found in sambo could effectively counter bjj technique. same article suggested this is why submission wrestling has become more popular with nhb fighting. the kinds of locks found in sambo or submission wrestling were not farmiliar to bjj students. sound feasable?

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 2:26pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GOGO FTW!!!

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 2:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i find that the grappling game is evolving at such a fantastic rate, that next to no schools think that they can get away with ignoring techniques used by another grappling art.

so you see a lot of sambo leg locks being taught in BJJ, you see a lot of greco-roman takedowns being taught in BJJ, you see BJJ stuff being picked up by sambo schools, and so on.

if you get complacent with your grappling, you will see the error of your ways quite quickly in open competition.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 3:54pm

Style: wing chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    did that question really earn me a spot here in the bay? or was it asking on the wrong sub-forum? admitted to being grappling-challenged before. thought i might learn something.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 7:45pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it was a tad on the broad side.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 7:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sambo people wear a colored gi with shorts but don't call it gi, and prefer nifty little booties, whereas BJJ people go barefoot and wear a pimped out Judogi with as many patches stitched on, or no gi at all.

I think that's the major differences between the two arts, more or less.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 8:14pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IT'S NOT A JUDOGI IT'S A JIUJITSUGI. UNLESS YOU'RE REALLY REALLY CHEAP.

/petulance
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast