One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 8:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by From Bell2Bell
    I think we're talking about two different things; slim jims are slim jims and if I remember right (it's been a long time since I've had one) they're loaded with fat but they aren't what I mean by jerky.
    They are the same, but different*

Now I don't know much about the preservatives so there might just be something in there that's not the best, and there's no arguing that it has a substantial amount of sodium, but just how amazingly healthy does your diet have to be before something like this throws it off?
    Real jerky is just dehydrated salted meat. The salt is supposed to be the preservative, along with the dehydration. What did they call it? "Hard Tack"? I suppose you could live off of it.

*That's one of my favorite sayings, I had to use it.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 8:23pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i know this is kinda off topic but how do you homemade jerky???

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 9:18pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you read the link piratejon posted.

They are the same, but different*
    jerky is strips of lean meat, dried and cured. slim jims are a jerky product, made of low quality meat, fat, connective tissue, and a certain acceptable percentage of bone, that are combined with a lot of salt, sugar, preservatives nd flavorings and then thoroughly processed until they meet a specific definition of "edible."

jerky and slim jims both include salt and meat. that's about all they've got in common.

and comparing jerky to hard tack? come on, man.

proper jerky is, in moderation, an entirely reasonable component of a balanced diet. it's an excellent thing to have on hand for the drive home from the gym, in particular.
    Last edited by pauli; 3/30/2007 9:21pm at .

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 9:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i lost weight eating pork rinds on the atkins diet, so a an extreme yes, you could lose weight.

Posted On:
    4/01/2007 12:33pm

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dysentary is good for weight loss, wouldnt reccommend it though.

Principles for weight loss are
    1. Healthy food
    2. Excercise
    3. Lots of water

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 1:30pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by roboda
    I have heard that jerky is good for weight loss and fitness since it is low in fat and high in protein however after buying the packet and reading the nutritional information on the back I found this

carbs per 100g (57g packet)
    19.4g
    of which are sugars 18.2

that looks like a lot of carbs is it still good for weight loss? having a packet every day or every other day?

If you're in the United States, I would stay away from beef completely unless you can verify it's grass-fed beef. Since corn is subsidized by the government, beef steers in the US are corn-fed which is not a natural diet for them. To keep them from dying, they get pumped full of hormones and antibiotics. In essence, the beef steers are malnourished, so the meat isn't going to be all that nutritious. Plus, the antibiotics contribute to the larger problem of antibiotic immunity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 3:19pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless Ukemi
    If you're in the United States, I would stay away from beef completely unless you can verify it's grass-fed beef. Since corn is subsidized by the government, beef steers in the US are corn-fed which is not a natural diet for them. To keep them from dying, they get pumped full of hormones and antibiotics. In essence, the beef steers are malnourished, so the meat isn't going to be all that nutritious. Plus, the antibiotics contribute to the larger problem of antibiotic immunity.
    Did you just read The Omnivore's Dilemma?

Eat Wild lists were you can get grass fed beef in your area, or shipped to you.... I've found it in Florida for $4.50lb for a 1/4 steer, which is around 150lbs processed. That includes paying a Usually only 20lbs of that will be ground, so it works out, as you get steak and what not included. The prices go down to as low as $4lb for a whole steer.

"2006 Grass-fed Angus Family Grade
    Beef Prices:

Whole Beef: $3.50/lb.

Half Beef: $3.75/lb.

Quarter Beef: $3.95/lb.

The USDA requires that we sell our beef by carcass hanging weight. This means that you do not pay for the hide, head or legs of the steer, just the food grade part. Average weight for a whole is 600 lbs. Beef is cut to your specification. There will be some loss on your carcass depending on how you wish it cut. A cut sheet will be mailed to you after receiving your deposit. South Marion Meats is our processor and will charge you .45 per lb. plus a service fee of $30 per whole steer, $15 per half and $7.50 per quarter to cut, wrap and freeze."

poser

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 3:24pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a shitload of meat.

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 3:37pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >>Did you just read The Omnivore's Dilemma?

No I didn't, but I'm about to.

I got that info from my father who just had to have a piece of his colon removed. He was told all about the dangers of beef.

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 3:57pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless Ukemi
    This is the most retarded thing I have read in a while. Sorry about your pops and his colon situation but I can bet my farm that it wasn't evil government subsidized corn fed beef that did it.:bduh:
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast