Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2007 11:09am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My first chokeout. Man I feel like an asshole!

I'm posting this in Guantanamo, since the last thread on this subject for some reason was closed, and I didn't want to start a new thread on this in the forums for the more "important" threads.

Anyway, for the last few classes I had begun practicing different ways of taking advantage of my opponents gi when rolling in class for an upcoming tournament(my first tournament which is this Saturday).

I found out that latching on to my opponents gi-collar was an extremely useful way of controlling my opponent, and that especially the cross collar choke was an exceptionally brilliant way of making setups for triangle chokes and other things, plus it in itself is a pretty good submission(especially since people in my class very rarely use it, and aren't very used to it).

So, I was having the class of my life submitting people left and right, some of them way heavier and more experienced people than me, catching them with omaplatas, armbars, and many many triangles. All along I started out latching on to their collar going for the cross collar choke, and then making transitions from there if I didn't get it.

Then I was rolling with a guy who was fairly new in BJJ class but had been training in MMA class for a year or so. I had him in my guard and decided to go for the cross collar choke. I had it it sunk in really deep and pivoted to my side to close it even tighter. All along he is trying to stack me, and I could see that he was trying to tough it out, though I had it so tight that I knew he couldn't either breath or get blood to his brain, but he just wouldn't tap. Suddenly he was sleeping tenderly on my chest. It took hardly 5 seconds. It is scary as hell when you choke someone unconscious! I rolled him unto his side and started scouting the room frantically for the instructor but couldn't see him, then he started making the typical snorting sounds, making a few spasms, and then waking up 5-10 seconds later.

I asked him if he was ok and if he wanted to take a break, and told him that no one noticed anything. He said he was alright, though visibly shaken, and he wanted to continue rolling. So we did.

I have to say that he was a pretty good no-gi-grappler, and I wasn't just dominating a newbie, plus he should have tapped out in time... but I still feel like an asshole.

The rest of the class I was a little scared of doing collar chokes. I just hope it won't effect my game in the tournament this Saturday.

I'm also glad I had seen this video just weeks ago, so I didn't freak out like the man in the video did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSS-IgelosY
    (at the end)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2007 3:32pm

Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Part of the game. Your not an asshole for that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2007 4:00pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if anything i feel this should make you more confident for your tournament.

and yeah, you're not an asshole, he should've tapped. you did the right thing. nobody got hurt, and everyone learned a valuable lesson, blah blah blah..

Posted On:
    3/29/2007 4:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think for this to have been an asshole moment, you would have had to write on his face with magic marker while he was unconcious.
    Last edited by Neildo; 3/29/2007 4:16pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2007 4:12pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're not an asshole. Feeling like one does not make you one. Everyone feels bad when someone gets hurt, or they'd have seriously fucked up morals.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2007 5:18pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    I think for this to have been an asshole moment, you would have had to write on his face with magic marker while he was unconcious.
    I guess I have to tape one on to my belt for next time.

Quote Originally Posted by leere_form
    if anything i feel this should make you more confident for your tournament.
    After that class I feel shitconfident for this tournament! But you just start to wonder if you have crossed a line when you choke out your sparring partner.

Well thanks for the feedback. I will now seize my emo-ness.

Posted On:
    3/29/2007 8:28pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is nothing wrong with choking out someone who doesn't tap. Unless you hold it for aaaaaages after he goes out he's not going to get hurt and it's his own damn fault for not tapping.

Hell, me and a mate took turns choking each other out when we were drunk at a party just to see what it was like. We were fine.
    Last edited by Das Moose; 3/30/2007 7:52am at .