Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 10:45pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dern
    No, I have not trained in the forms since I quit, but since I am at the rank where you have to relearned all of them to gain black-belt anyway, I find redoing it all from white belt to be a waste of time and lots of money.
    Then don't waste time and money. You obviously are not willing to put in the time and effort to earn rank.

Also, it is fairly common for schools not to recognize color belt rank, since when it comes to most TKD curriculae, color belts don't really matter.

And as for the muscle memory thing, I trained when I was around six to twelve years old, when your brain is still in its major developing stages. I still retain all of my old habits in kicking and punching and movement, to the extent that a Tae Kwon Do instructior regonized my ability before I even mentioned my background. All I lost were the forms.
    So...adding this all up, you're only 15ish.

If a given curriculum requires certain forms for promotion, then you must learn those forms in order to be promoted. Otherwise, you aren't earning your belt.

Did you check to see that these schools practice the same forms that you learned before? If they are different, there's no reason to recognize your rank.

I mentioned the 1st kyu since I was exactly one rank from black belt, since the belt orders differ from school-to-school. Tae Kwon Do is basically pseudo-karate anyway. I might as well mention the ranking in the original.
    You're young and still learning, so I'll let that slide for now.

And no, I never got the chance to prove myself on the mat. They said that if I signed up I would sign up from the beginning.
    Unless you were a WTF black belt, what you can do on the mat is pretty inconsequential.

By the way, these dojos were not simply Tae Kwon Do dojos, they did other martial arts that I wanted to practice, such as kickboxing and karate.
    This is all the more reason to learn how to do things their way. If the instructor has already seen your "potential" as you say, it's likely you'll move through the ranks very quickly.

I just felt that I would like to start again and finish up to get black belt. My biggest regret was never going all the way with it.
    Then earn it. Don't whine about it.

Having a black-belt in Tae Kwon Do is something that I want to complete because I hate leaving things undone right at the end and because the black belt rank carries more respect and voice than 1st kyu (or kwon or whatever the psuedo-chinese decide to screw it up with).
    You do realize you just made a racist comment, right? Again, I'll let you slide because of your age, but consider this a warning.

I figured that if I were to open a martial arts school having the black belt in Tae Kwon Do would greatly help my credability and would help define the overall arts I am teaching.
    The belt is meaningless unless it represents certification within a given curriculum. Your goal is not to get the belt, but to gain mastership of said curriculum.

But my personal needs aside, I find it unfair that I payed hundreds of dollars doing years of this art and when I wish to return I am told that I have to start all over.
    I'm sorry. You've got it all backwards. It's not unfair. If it's that big a deal to you, you shouldn't have quit in the first place. The belt is earned. Quit your whining and get with the training.

There is no progress in this. It's like being told to go algebra again after you have completed calculus, but stopped for a few years. All you need is a brush-up, not a complete make-over!
    Your analogy again fails, because TKD is not a cold set system like mathematics. Different styles of TKD perform a roundhouse kick completely differently, but there is only one way to correctly solve an equation.

Quit whining and start training.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    3/29/2007 5:25am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And as for the muscle memory thing, I trained when I was around six to twelve years old, when your brain is still in its major developing stages. I still retain all of my old habits in kicking and punching and movement, to the extent that a Tae Kwon Do instructior regonized my ability before I even mentioned my background. All I lost were the forms.
    So, you are fifteen now?

If the TKD instructor recognized your ability ten why wont he let you start at your original belt?

Again, did you provide certificates of rank from your old school?

My biggest regret was never going all the way with it.
    Your fault, not theirs, besides, if you are willing to start out as a white belt in another art then why not do it in TKD?

I think you are full of ****, and you just want a BB. Nothing you have said, jives. You dont know the ranking system in TKD, a TKD instructor recognizes your ability but still wants you to be a white belt......

Having a black-belt in Tae Kwon Do is something that I want to complete because I hate leaving things undone right at the end and because the black belt rank carries more respect and voice than 1st kyu (or kwon or whatever the psuedo-chinese decide to screw it up with). I figured that if I were to open a martial arts school having the black belt in Tae Kwon Do would greatly help my credability and would help define the overall arts I am teaching.
    So EARN the BB. From you time line you are only fifteen, and still have a few years before anyone will take you seriously as a TKD teacher in your own school. Start over if it is that important to you. Of course, this only reaffirms my suspicions that you are full of ****.

For example, if I am both black-belt in Aikido and Tae Kwon Do, then it would be understandable if I gave more focus to atemi-waza in my Aikido training, for example. And this would be okay since I have the black-belt in Tae Kwon Do, not just something I decided to throw in just for the heck of it.
    Makes absolutely no sense what so ever. Jibber - Jabber

And, of course, it does feel good to say "Yo, I'm a BLACK BELT" in something, especially when your training did NOT come from a Mcdojo. Makes it sound more genuine than, "Yo I'm onerankawayfromblackbeltsored/blackbelt or whatever."
    Ahhh....NOW we are getting to the truth. Saying you are a BB, and EARNING your BB are two different things.

But my personal needs aside, I find it unfair that I payed hundreds of dollars doing years of this art and when I wish to return I am told that I have to start all over. There is no progress in this. It's like being told to go algebra again after you have completed calculus, but stopped for a few years. All you need is a brush-up, not a complete make-over!
    The only thing bothering you is your pride. You dont want to be a white belt.

You should have stuck with it earlier and this would be a non issue. I think you came on here to try and find someone who would test you for your BB, out of sympathy or greed. I dont believe that you have any ranks in TKD.

It is AWFULLY coincidental that you stopped ONE belt away from BB.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    3/29/2007 6:54am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have nothing new to add to this discussion apart from to agree with Der and the Old geezer. Most schools will allow you to train with them for a while and then grade you to the level THEY think you are at or have you join as a White belt and then put you through your paces at the next test/grading. This obviously isn't the case with your new school so man up and join as a White belt. Believe me, you'll find it humbling and if you really are as good as you think, you'll find the progression fast and may even skip ranks. You're only 15 dude so even if it took you 3-4 years to get your BB, you'd still have it before you're 20.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2007 8:12am

Style: karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have a situuation at our school where a gentleman came in and started to train with us. Come to find out he used to train with our head instructor and was actually a shodan or nidan.

Now he had been out of practice for several years but he refused to wear a bb until he felt he was back up to that level. So overall he was starting from the beginning again. Had to relearn the forms and everything.

But if you are just so worried about getting a bb and not the skill required to earn one just go buy one from any MA store and then you can start saying" Hey I have a BB now."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2007 8:39am

Style: karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also just for the record the rankings in TKD are gup not kyu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2007 9:51am

Style: Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if this will help or hurt the discussion but I throw it out for whatever it might add.

September of 2004 I made a trip to Korea to train with DOJUNIM KIM Yun Sang who is the current tradition keeper for the YONG SUL Kwan. Up to that time I had been in Hapkido for almost 20 years and have been teaching for about 8 or so. For the week or 10 days that I was there I wore a White Belt and though I have no doubt I could have held my own if I had done things my own way, I spent my time getting my butt kicked learning to do things THEIR way. My reasoning for doing this is that I traveled half-way around the world to learn what HE knows, and NOT to show him what I know, yes?

OK, I said all of that to say this.

If you don't think that this new school has anything to show you that you don't alread know, then I would question why you are applying there.

If they DO have something to show you, then I would put on a White Belt and start learning what they know. You are not there to learn a belt. You are there to learn an art. Ask yourself if you would have been at all interested or kept learning before if you had no belt to work for. This should give you some idea of how sincere your interest is. If you are not willing to train and train hard unless you have a belt to work for I suggest you take up something else like Boxing maybe. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    3/29/2007 11:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I have not trained in the forms since I quit, but since I am at the rank where you have to relearned all of them to gain black-belt anyway, I find redoing it all from white belt to be a waste of time and lots of money.
    If you're fifteen, you're not even in college or have to work, so you have the time to blow if you quit trying to lose your virginity and stop playing Xbox.

And timing. And footwork. Probably some flexibility, leg strength. Probably lost all your functional strength and conditioning too.

That 6-12 year old thing is bullshit, if it was true, we might as well teach kids how to drive and make them take classes like Advanced Fourier Analysis IV. And as for that instructor, who gives a ****, I can walk into the dentist's office and trick a fully trained DDS into thinking I've been flossing.

I mentioned the 1st kyu since I was exactly one rank from black belt, since the belt orders differ from school-to-school. Tae Kwon Do is basically pseudo-karate anyway. I might as well mention the ranking in the original.
    Not only do the ranks differ, but quality differs too. I'm quite pleased all these TKD schools told you to **** off, because if they had handed you one of their belts right off the bat, we'd have to send in a Bullshido.net team to investigate.

Go find the biggest McDojo possible and pay them whatever ridiculous amount of money so they can hand you your belt, because that's the only way you'll get it. No self respecting teacher would just spoon feed you your precious little belt.

And no, I never got the chance to prove myself on the mat. They said that if I signed up I would sign up from the beginning.

By the way, these dojos were not simply Tae Kwon Do dojos, they did other martial arts that I wanted to practice, such as kickboxing and karate. I just felt that I would like to start again and finish up to get black belt. My biggest regret was never going all the way with it.
    There is no "all the way" - if you're thinking that reaching a belt level is the apex of training, you're way off base. Martial arts is about increasing fighting skill, and that has no end to it. Your biggest regret should be all the time you wasted when you could have been learning how to fight, not taking a test and getting a piece of cloth.

Having a black-belt in Tae Kwon Do is something that I want to complete because I hate leaving things undone right at the end and because the black belt rank carries more respect and voice than 1st kyu (or kwon or whatever the psuedo-chinese decide to screw it up with). I figured that if I were to open a martial arts school having the black belt in Tae Kwon Do would greatly help my credability and would help define the overall arts I am teaching.
    A black belt in TKD means nothing. Black belts in general mean **** now. All they are guaranteed to convey is that you have money, and that your instructor knows where a martial arts supply store is. What would greatly help your credibility is a solid fight record in NHB events. If you're going to be another bullshido belt collector who writes crap like

2nd degree bb in TKD
    3rd degree bb in karate
    2nd degree in aikido
    8th degree in some sword thrashing
    9th degree in Ching chong do

you can just leave now.

For example, if I am both black-belt in Aikido and Tae Kwon Do, then it would be understandable if I gave more focus to atemi-waza in my Aikido training, for example. And this would be okay since I have the black-belt in Tae Kwon Do, not just something I decided to throw in just for the heck of it.
    I refer you to Aikido Sucks Month!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=R8wNjCScMUw

And, of course, it does feel good to say "Yo, I'm a BLACK BELT" in something, especially when your training did NOT come from a Mcdojo. Makes it sound more genuine than, "Yo I'm onerankawayfromblackbeltsored/blackbelt or whatever."
    Yeah it feels good to say that. In 1945 Korea it does. Not 2007 USA. You will get laughed at and your ass kicked for being a total douchebag, Dwight.

But my personal needs aside, I find it unfair that I payed hundreds of dollars doing years of this art and when I wish to return I am told that I have to start all over. There is no progress in this. It's like being told to go algebra again after you have completed calculus, but stopped for a few years. All you need is a brush-up, not a complete make-over!
    Millions of people have payed THOUSANDS for their TKD blackbelts. Until you get a job and make some money and then throw it at those money grubbing greedy Koreans, you're just going to be Red Belt Dwight. You'll never see black until those Koreans see green.

Posted On:
    3/29/2007 3:49pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    O my, I was looking for some interesting discussion, but instead I found logical fallacies, preachers, and hippies.
    Why should I not seek the BB just for the image? Thatís all it is at first glance anyway. I could use it to make a buck while promoting other TRUE martial arts. Itís business, ask the Koreans about it and they will agree. Donít give me that martial discipline crap, Aikido is the only art that can truly admit to being a true martial art!

"You do realize you just made a racist comment, right?"

Yeah? So? Itís true. The Koreans are the JEWS of the East. They keep getting conquered and make up their own nationalistic beliefs out of spite towards the more able conqueror. They change their writing system to the modern nasty system when their king said ďWe are Korean therefore we must have our own system of writing.Ē Even thought the Chinese characters were far more aesthetically pleasing. Any linguist knows this. Do some research before you start preaching hippies. Koreans are pseudo-Chinese and they will never amount to having their own culture and national identity. Otherwise, why else would they be showing off nukes in front of the world? Real pathetic. They should learn something from the REAL asians.

And when they decide to make up their own nationalistic sport they take what they learned from the far superior Japanese, rename it and add in a bunch of animalistic sex traits. Do some research kiddies and you will see that I am right.

Do some research before you post idiotic posts. And please, address the ORIGINAL question in your posts. Ad hominem attacks are pedestrian.

Good Day.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    3/29/2007 4:25pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    Old geezer
    Necessary? I think not. :)

O my, I was looking for some interesting discussion, but instead I found logical fallacies, preachers, and hippies.
    Why should I not seek the BB just for the image? Thatís all it is at first glance anyway. I could use it to make a buck while promoting other TRUE martial arts.
    Fallacies, and hippies? WTF are you smoking. I EARNED my BB, you want yours handed to you so you can say that you are a BB.

**** you, you stupid poser bitch.

As for the making a buck.......why not just say that you are a BB and make a phony certificate from your old school? Oh wait, I know why....you dont have ANY ranks in TKD, you watched some videos, and are claiming a rank so you can get a BB certificate from a legitamate school to hang on the wall.

If you dont consider TKD a TRUE MA then why bother with the BB? Besides, how is getting a BB in TKD going to help you teach another MA that you hold no ranks in? Oh, ok, now I see the pattern, you will watch videos and claim to have the next rank down from BB in that art too, then the pattern will repeat itself.

Please let me know when you open your school, so I can come and own your LARPing ass, and close down your school.

Koreans are pseudo-Chinese and they will never amount to having their own culture and national identity. Otherwise, why else would they be showing off nukes in front of the world? Real pathetic. They should learn something from the REAL asians.
    Some points here...

1. What does having nukes got to do with anything? Especially with them not having their own culture.
    2. What do you consider REAL Asians?
    3. You are a *****, racist ****.

Can we please get a ban for our dumbass troll here? Thanksokbye.

And when they decide to make up their own nationalistic sport they take what they learned from the far superior Japanese, rename it and add in a bunch of animalistic sex traits. Do some research kiddies and you will see that I am right.
    Please tell me that you arent getting your Kung Fu (Chinese) mixed up with your TKD (Korean). Of course, this comes from someone who thinks that TKD has Kyu ranks.

Do some research before you post idiotic posts.
    Please look up the definiton or irony, and get back to us. The above comment REEKS of it.

Please, address the ORIGINAL question in your posts. Ad hominem attacks are pedestrian.
    We have ALL addressed your OP, but you didnt get the answers you wanted.
    Go train, and EARN your rank, you fuckstick.

Forum Mods, Permission to troll this asshat? Pretty Please?

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    3/29/2007 6:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm calling Troll for the "Aikido is the only art that can truly admit to being a true martial art!" Line
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast