Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 12:18pm

Style: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ever broken something or been broken?

In training or competition? When I was training in BJJ, I would sometimes run into guys who would get an arm bar perfectly and rather than apply the force within reason, would crank it on really fast and hard as if they really intended to break it. There were a couple times when I knew if my hand had been stuck somehow or if my mouth had been covered, they would have broken my fucking arm before I could tap. One time in particular I can remember was when I was drilling a really tight variation of an armbar during class, and my partner rams his hips into my elbow with all my might, hyperextending it. No resistance, I wasn't being an asshole and not letting him get it. If I had tapped a split second later, he would have broken my ****.

Now, I'm wondering -- for those who like to crank a lock super fast and hard as if your life depends on it -- and others who are more mellow -- have you ever broken someone's arm, ankle, etc.? Has it been done to you? How did you react/feel?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 7:10pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember back when i was a white belt, and spazzier, I thought I broke a guys arm during no-gi. It was an armbar from side control, we were slippery, and I sat back really hard and fast. It felt like the guys elbow dislocated for a second, which was odd and worrisome, but then went back in.

Overall, I would imagine that people get sprains more often than breaks from the basic submissions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 8:11pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I broke a friend of mine's arm in a fairly significant tournament once. It was the finals and he was winning by a waza-ari with about 15 seconds left. I caught him in a juji and had his arm straight out. I kept pulling, he kept holding out and his arm snapped, broke his ulna I believe.

I also broke a guy's lower leg bone (tibia or fibula, can't remember which) with an o-soto at the Francophone games. He just went over funny and it snapped. Very ugly and I felt horrible.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 10:53pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I havent had anything broken

but i did make something *pop* in a friends elbow, his other hand was trapped and he couldnt tap. i almost never crank anything nowdays. just show control and stop there.

i want my training partners to be back for next time

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    3/29/2007 1:04am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never had anything actually BROKEN. But I've had my elbows popped a couple of times. My knee hurt (which was kind of scary to be honest. got trapped and basically FELL on by a huge guy so the effect was like an inverted heel hook) Got my ankle a bit messed up by a guy wrenching on an achilles lock and me thinking I had time to try ONE more attempt at escaping. Both our faults really.

But my worst injury I got from being thrown, and someone getting my foot stuck in something I still to this day don't know what was and tearing ligaments in my shin of all places. I trained through the recovery me being a dumbass, but thankfully it healed properly (although a bit slow) Sleeping was a bitch for a month afterwards.

This was all in the course of a little under a year. Am I accident prone or just a moron? How about a little of both!? yeah that's the ticket.

I haven't broken anyones anything really. I thought I messed up this one newbie's arm once, 'cause I armbarred him from mount in the classic pushed on the chest spin to armbar way (which actually made me feel pretty cool) and he screamed like the grim reaper had just stepped on the mat. Turns out he just had NO idea what he was doing or even understood the concept of tapping, so every time he got stuck in a sub, he'd just scream like a crazy person. When someone choked him he would frantically wave his arms. Even after people tried to explain that he should just tap.
    More human than human is our motto.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2007 8:12am

Style: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanatical

I haven't broken anyones anything really. I thought I messed up this one newbie's arm once, 'cause I armbarred him from mount in the classic pushed on the chest spin to armbar way (which actually made me feel pretty cool) and he screamed like the grim reaper had just stepped on the mat. Turns out he just had NO idea what he was doing or even understood the concept of tapping, so every time he got stuck in a sub, he'd just scream like a crazy person. When someone choked him he would frantically wave his arms. Even after people tried to explain that he should just tap.
    these are the worst type of people. No, actually the worst types are the ones who are newbies, but refuse to tap because of ego related stuff.

As a beginner, I remember always waiting way too long to tap out of armbars, now I sometimes feel it in the morning.

I was never really spastic though -- which is a good thing, because there were some people at that school that cranked out locks as if it was a life and death struggle -- and most of them were blues and purples.

Edit:

Kind of a funny story:

There was this guy who would come probably 2 to 4 times a month, a skinny Russian guy with a ton of tatoos and very little common sense. It took him forever to get simple moves, even with half the class trying to help him.

Anyway, whenever we drilled submissions in class, I was paired with him, since he was like 130 and I was about 155 (but everyone else at the school were avid body builders who outweighed me by at least 20 pounds). Whenever I would drill a choke with him, he'd tap out so early that it was impossible to tell if the move worked. But here's the kicker: whenever we rolled he would NEVER tap out. For anything. Very frustrating.
    Last edited by Nickeroon1987; 3/29/2007 8:17am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2007 4:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate it when people do that in training. In a tournament, I can understand wanting to lock it in fast. One guy sprained my UCL before I could tap with an overzealous armbar. Personally, once I get control of the arm I make sure to crank really slow and they usually tap w/o me having to lock it in because we both realize what's going to happen.

If I'm training and I know the only way I'm going to get this armbar is to just explode into it, I don't bother going for it because I remember how bad it hurt when someone did it to me.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    4/13/2007 5:48pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had my rib broken with an arm bar and I've got multiple finger fractures. I think I have a cracked shin at the moment, but as long as I don't go to the doc and confirm it I can pretend it's not true.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    4/14/2007 6:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a knife wound in my left arm.. does that count?

Posted On:
    4/16/2007 12:13pm

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Equipoise
    I have a knife wound in my left arm.. does that count?
    Only if training ritual suicide.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast