Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 7:44am

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

SanShou sparring

Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    Does he have any videos of his senior guys sparring? It would be interesting to see (high-level KF sparring vids are surprisingly rare).
    off topic of the thread, but there are some good san shou vids at Florida San Shou... a lot of those guys also cross train in Muay Thai, fwiw.

Also, in May there is the 2007 International Kung Fu Championship which has the ISKA San Shou and Submission Wrestling belts up for grabs.

My sob story ended up in surgery rather than fighting last year. :5sigh: I haven't recovered quick enough to get back in it this year.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 10:07am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are the Florida Sanshou guys competing in the 2007 International KF Championships? I think one of the guys at my gym maybe going down to Florida to compete in that event in Sanshou. If he does he's going to get killed (tee hee :smile:) Basically this guy comes in and trains maybe once every 4 months. He has no knowledge beyond the basics, but promotes himself locally as a San Da instructor for students up to advanced level.

He essentially is trying to hold himself up as something he's not to impress Chinese girls at the University (apparently by calling himself a San Da "Master" they are impressed). To his credit he has fought in a few San Da events, usually he attends very small events where the chances of running into someone who actually trains seriously are about zero. When he participates in these small events he generally wins, not so much due to great performances, but more due to his opponents performing worse than him.

He did attend one major event in Mass. last year (he won a small local event against an overweight larper, so he thougt he was hot ****) and was promptly KTFO in the opening minute. I hope he attends this event in Florida and runs into one of the Florida Sanshou guys, hopefully they will KO his ass and he will finally realize that if he wants to be successful and legitimately claim to be an experienced San Da fighter/Instructor, then he needs to put his ego aside and actually train with the instructor and stop worrying about impressing the ladies.

Sorry got a little off topic, started ranting. Those Florida Sanshou guys looked pretty good though.

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 11:15am

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This seems like a tough sport to keep up, only in terms of how few tournaments there seem to be. I couldn't find one San Da amateur tournament in California this year, at least on the Internet, while there must be 14 or 15 point style tournaments. No Kyokushin, either, in the US, only Canada. Do people do Muay Thai smokers instead? I'm just curious, as the only guy that ever fights sanda around here is Cung Le, and he seems to match himself up with stiffs. Not that Cung Le isn't a total badass, but he likes to fight guys he can showboat, it seems.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 11:57am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    This seems like a tough sport to keep up, only in terms of how few tournaments there seem to be. I couldn't find one San Da amateur tournament in California this year, at least on the Internet, while there must be 14 or 15 point style tournaments. No Kyokushin, either, in the US, only Canada. Do people do Muay Thai smokers instead? I'm just curious, as the only guy that ever fights sanda around here is Cung Le, and he seems to match himself up with stiffs. Not that Cung Le isn't a total badass, but he likes to fight guys he can showboat, it seems.
    I know in my area there are amateur Muay Thai smokers several times a year. In addition to that I know of 3 amateur SanDa events in Ohio every year. The problem I've seen with the SanDa/Sanshou events is that they are generally part of a larger MA/Kung Fu tournament where they want you to pay to compete.

The 3 events that I know of wanted between $55-$70 to participate. The 2007 International event that is linked in the OP wants $100 to participate. This is basically why I've not participated in any of them. MT smokers on the other hand, in my experience, don't cost you anything to compete in.

So if your into Kickboxing of any kind which are you going to go with, the tournament where you pay to fight, or the smoker where you get paid to fight or at least fight for free.
    This is probably why SanShou has difficulty gaining in popularity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 1:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74
    Are the Florida Sanshou guys competing in the 2007 International KF Championships? Those Florida Sanshou guys looked pretty good though.
    dunno, they are further south than me. I'd assume they are, as we don't have very many san shou events in the area.

I'll be going as a spectator this year.

The toughest that I saw there last year trains with Master Liu in Alabama, I think. He has competed in some pro events, and his legs were almost twice as big as mine, or so it seemed. I've got big tree trunk legs, but this guy was unreal looking.

The guys from John Wai's school are really down to earth good guys, at least the couple times I've spoken with them....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 1:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    So the ISKA World Championships were held in Orlando in 2005. They had a San Shou division touted, but not enough people signing up. The Sanshou guys competed in the Muay Thai division instead.

There are tournaments, you just need to look, but like someone else said, you're paying $100 to enter.

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 3:08pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, it is crazy that you would pay an ungodly amount of money to fight, and recieve no prize money. In Thailand, you are traditionally paid something, even for your first amateur fight, because they believe, rightfully so, that you should never, ever fight for free.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 6:40am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    about the sanshou,did u know there are actually forms in san shou?
    personally i think they look stupid and they look more like drills to me,but they do exist.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 11:58am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell
    personally i think they look stupid and they look more like drills to me,but they do exist.
    Link Please or more information.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 1:53pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell
    The sanshou matches I have seen have had fighters from different styles competing against each other. All that was in common was the ruleset. So how could there be "sanshou forms"?
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast