Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 10:56pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Getting upperhand in neck clinch

I have difficulty getting both my hands inside when clinch sparring with experienced guys. Pointers my coach gave me was to not brute force my way in or I'll get winded. And to control the other guy's elbow if I get one hand on the neck.

BTW we do most of our clinch sparring without gloves on.

Any tips on getting the clinch? Distraction tips (elbows, knees, pulls to offbalance) also wanted. Thanks.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 11:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    practice practice practice. remember to keep your elbows jammed into their chest when you do get the inside, and remember to keep your hands around their head not their neck.

often to get the clinch ill do it when the other guy is throwing punches because you can slip in. of course, you might get clocked doing this. another one i like to do is "overthrow" the hook and wrap it round their head, then snake the other hand up under their guard. but yeah, this isnt going to mean much against someone who is plain better than you. focus on what they are doing and try to copy it

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 11:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    I have difficulty getting both my hands inside when clinch sparring with experienced guys. Pointers my coach gave me was to not brute force my way in or I'll get winded. And to control the other guy's elbow if I get one hand on the neck.

BTW we do most of our clinch sparring without gloves on.

Any tips on getting the clinch? Distraction tips (elbows, knees, pulls to offbalance) also wanted. Thanks.
    Hips in, post off the face to create space (the nose is the most annoying, the forehead gives the most leverage), swim under keeping elbows tight. If someone starts to grab your head with one had, one thing you can do is push up on the tricep and duck under and around to their side putting you in a position for an arm triangle (standing choke, but also really good position to throw knees from). It's a bit tricky to get, but if you do it puts you in a great position.

I used to have a really good plum clinch, but haven't really worked it as much these days, otherwise we'd do a TOTW on it...
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 1:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    practice practice practice. remember to keep your elbows jammed into their chest
    ok thanks man, this sounds good. Will try it.

when you do get the inside, and remember to keep your hands around their head not their neck.
    I know that in order to pull their head down, you have to grab the crown and not the neck. However, I was told by my coach that it's actually easier to just hook the back of his neck when you're still trying to get the other arm in, or if your other arm is busy holding his elbow.

He said that doing this had 2 advantages - you can pull his neck to offbalance him, and you can hook your arm there so you don't use muscle strength.

He said only to move to the top of the head when you manage to get both hands in. Is this what you're taught?

often to get the clinch ill do it when the other guy is throwing punches because you can slip in. of course, you might get clocked doing this. another one i like to do is "overthrow" the hook and wrap it round their head, then snake the other hand up under their guard. but yeah, this isnt going to mean much against someone who is plain better than you. focus on what they are doing and try to copy it
    Yeah, I was basically taught the same methods. The easier one I'm told to practice on currently, is to throw a left hook, then grab the neck and clinch.

The other one I was shown, and which is harder to pull off I'm told, is to slip the jab, push on the jabbing arm to jam it, then move to 4 o'clock or 3 o'clock and you grab both his arm and neck. I'm not very sure about this one as I haven't practiced it, was just shown.
    Last edited by PPlate; 3/28/2007 1:33am at .

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 1:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Hips in, post off the face to create space (the nose is the most annoying, the forehead gives the most leverage),
    Thanks. Could you elaborate on "post off the face?" I don't get that part, do you have one hand on the back of his neck already? Or are you basically just pushing his face away to get rid of his clinch?

swim under keeping elbows tight. If someone starts to grab your head with one had, one thing you can do is push up on the tricep and duck under and around to their side putting you in a position for an arm triangle (standing choke, but also really good position to throw knees from). It's a bit tricky to get, but if you do it puts you in a great position.
    So you push up on the tricep by using your palm on his elbow and pushing upwards?

Thanks for the help.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 4:10am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing I'd say is try and relax a bit. Load of people seem to really tense up in clinches and start throwing really crappy knees with no force. When trying to clinch throwing a short punch to the floating rib often makes people drop their guard lower, which helps you get control of the head.

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 8:14am

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you know any wrestlers, espically Greco? They have some drills called pummeling which is for establishing clinch control. Sounds to me like the techniques are very similar. Mark Hatmaker has a good MMA book on clinch fighting which includes these drills. Sorry, I'm at work now and don't remember the name, I think is is something like "Clinch Fighting", and no that wasn't a joke. Hope this helps.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 10:16am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. Could you elaborate on "post off the face?" I don't get that part, do you have one hand on the back of his neck already? Or are you basically just pushing his face away to get rid of his clinch?
    Stiffarm to create space to swim your other arm inside

So you push up on the tricep by using your palm on his elbow and pushing upwards?

Thanks for the help.
    Yeah, push their arm up, bend at the knees and drop under their arm around to their side.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 10:47am

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like Hatmaker's material. I've taught at some seminars with him and he's a really good guy.

Pummeling for the head/neck control is different then pummeling for body control, but one of the key ingredients is the "swimming" motion you use with your shoulders, which by itself should help give you the room to get your arms to the inside (usually, not always).

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 12:48pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I for one do NOT agree with your coach on that hand position thing. If I have one hand in I am definitely going to move up their head and get my elbow down in the right position. otherwise I don't have the leverage to move them around and get my second hand in. My favorite trick is to throw a fast but not hard knee to the side that you don't have control of yet. As long as you don't over commit and get dumped you can get your hand in on that side when they go to defend the knee.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast