Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 4:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Home Defense Shotugun Options

Well, some scumbag just tried to break into our house again, so the missus is a bit more receptive to the idea of a home defense gun other than my M-14. She is still resistant to the handgun idea, thoug, and is much more comfortable with a shotgun. I know, I know, a handgun is a much better option for home defense on many levels, but she's just uncomfortable with having a handgun in the house. :sad: So, currently I have a Remington 1100 (my first gun from my Dad when I was 14) and a Remington 870 Wingmaster (my Dad's first shotgun from when he was 14), but both are set up for bird hunting (30" and 20" barrels respectively). Should I:

A) Trade or sell the 1100, get a Mossburg 500 defender and pocket the change:
    B) Buy an 18.5" replacement barrel for the 870 and a magazine extension (about $150 total from Midway); or,
    C) Cut down the barrel on the 1100 to 18"?

A) Would probably get me the best home defense shotgun for the buck while leaving me with some money left over, but I'd have to dump the first gun I ever owned.
    B) Would keep both of my guns in my arsenal, I could swap out the barrel on my Dad's gun if I wanted to take it hunting (its way more reliable than the 1100) but would require the CFO to sign off on the price of the upgrade:
    C) Would keep both guns in my arsenal, and since I prefer the 870 for hunting, wouldn't hurt my ability to hunt. Also, the auto loader may be easier for the wife to operate under stress.

Opinions?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 6:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    B) Buy an 18.5" replacement barrel for the 870 and a magazine extension (about $150 total from Midway); or,
    Yes.

Along with a foldable stock.

This is basically what I got with a legal barrell length and mag extension.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 10:42pm

Style: BJJ and Westernized TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am having the same dillema. I have a chance to buy a Remington 870 for fairly cheap. It is a hunting shotgun with a rifled slug barrel and also a long shot barrel. It is designed for deer and turkey I guess.

So I am thinking about turning it into a defensive shotgun. Are there any features on the shotguns that are made for defense that set them apart from ones made for hunting besides the barrel length?

Can you shoot buck shot through a rifled slug barrel?

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 11:24pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you can. you'll hit everything other than what you aim at.

now, for the orignal question, here is my advice:

pick up a cheap 870 with an 18.5" barrel on it already. don't chop a barrel (basically ever, as far as i'm concerned), don't stick a short one on the wingmaster (a home defense gun might eventually go for a stay with the police, and no family gun should ever do that).

do not sell your 1100. you'll kick yourself in the nuts over that quite quickly.

for once, i'm going to say don't buy a mossberg - you don't need more than one manual of arms in the house. you've got remingtons, stick with remingtons.

home defense shotguns don't need fancy stocks. if you want one, that's cool, but it ain't gonna make it shoot anybody any deader, any faster. nor will it look better in court.

don't worry about an extended magazine - if you can't solve a problem with four or five rounds of buckshot, it's not a problem you should be solving.

oh, and large portions of this (everything other than don't **** with family guns) goes out the window if she disagrees. if she's gonna use it, get something she chooses.
    Last edited by pauli; 3/27/2007 11:32pm at .

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 9:53am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pauli, your advice pretty much mirrors that of the posters over on Culvers Shooting Page.

http://www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/gunta....pl?read=60099

If I go with the new shotgun, perhaps I should consider a 20 gauge instead of a 12, since my wife is only 5'1" and 102#? Similar to the advice regarding pistols, bigger is better unless its size becomes an impediment to practice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 10:17am

Style: MMA, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA
    If I go with the new shotgun, perhaps I should consider a 20 gauge instead of a 12, since my wife is only 5'1" and 102#? Similar to the advice regarding pistols, bigger is better unless its size becomes an impediment to practice.
    Well, you already have a 12ga, so let her try one of those first before you go dismissing it. Sure, it won't feel exactly the same, but close enough.
    Pauli covered the rest of it pretty damn well.

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 10:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I'd go with option B. Option A means parting with it entirely, i'd scrap that. Option C means permanently modifying it, but can the barrel not be replaced on that one as well?
    Last edited by Neildo; 3/28/2007 10:59am at .

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 11:02am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    Personally, I'd go with option B. Option A means parting with it entirely, i'd scrap that. Option C means permanently modifying it, but can the barrel not be replaced on that one as well?
    I haven't been able to find any 18.5" replacement barrels for a Rem 1100. Someone over on CSP mentioned that Remington used to offer a tactical model of the Rem 1100 with an 18.5" barrel, so someone should offer one, but I haven't been able to find one. I checked Midway, Brownells, Cabellas and Cheaper Than Dirt. Any other ideas?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 11:02am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladesinger
    Well, you already have a 12ga, so let her try one of those first before you go dismissing it. Sure, it won't feel exactly the same, but close enough.
    Pauli covered the rest of it pretty damn well.
    Ammo choice will play a big factor in recoil as well. I found that some 20 guage shotguns kick harder, because they are built on a lighter platform. Try her shooting the current shotguns you have with reduced recoil 12 guage (don't use these in the 1100, it won't cycle reliably).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 12:26pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For a defensive shotgun, I look for reliability and manuverability.

My favorite choice for such purposes, is the Remington 870, with an 18.5" barrel, loaded with Federal "Tactical" 12 gauge 00 buckshot. This is a reduced recoil load, yet still packs a mean punch. It's a very popular combination for law enforcement personnel as well.

Best of all, you can probably find a used Remington 870 for well under 200 bucks.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast