Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    8/18/2003 9:52am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm at MA class 1.5-2.5 hours a day, 3-4 days a week. I decided that in class is the best time to focus on learning technique and applications and such, and have dedicated my at home training time mostly to physical training. So I train the three fitness benchmarks, strength, stamina, and flexibility.
    Strength:
    Since I had to get rid of my weights due to space constraints, I do bodyweight workouts now. Pushups, handstand pushups, reverse pushups, v-ups and squats.

Stamina:
    In the morning I run about a mile, in intervals as I learned them from a Bruce Lee book... 1 minute jogging, sprint for as long and hard as you can, 1 minute walking, repeat.
    I'm also considering adding a routine of about 900 punches and 600 kicks against a heavy bag, partly for stamina, and partly because for technique.

Flexibility:
    Well duh, stretching about every muscle group, etc.

Basically my question is, do you guys agree that my at home training should primarily focus on physical training, or should I focus on other things as well? And also, if anyone has good workouts, I'd love to hear your advice. Thanks.

The "bottle rocket" principle is a highly dangerous one; if he scoots out too aggressively his body may go shooting out like a champaign cork and go flying into the audience, sans right arm, leaving a gingerbread man-shaped hole in the wall. -- Boyd
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2003 7:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I decided that in class is the best time to focus on learning technique and applications and such, and have dedicated my at home training time mostly to physical training.
    I wish everyone thought like that.

I think you might be over doing it though. If you reach a point where you seem to be getting worse instead of better, even though youíve stepped up the training, then you have fatigue your muscles and they need a rest.

In the morning I run about a mile, in intervals as I learned them from a Bruce Lee book... 1 minute jogging, sprint for as long and hard as you can, 1 minute walking, repeat.
    I'm also considering adding a routine of about 900 punches and 600 kicks against a heavy bag, partly for stamina, and partly because for technique.
    One mile isnít enough to keep your heart rate up in the training zone for 20 minutes. Wind sprints are great but not every day, even competitive runners only do them 1-2 times a week. I donít think you need to do anymore kicking or punching at home, you should be doing enough of that in class.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    8/18/2003 8:46pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks RealMAs. I'm just starting running again, and those intervals really get your heart going. Once I'm back into the routine I plan on increasing the distance.

If he scoots out too aggressively his body may go shooting out like a champaign cork and go flying into the audience, leaving a gingerbread man-shaped hole in the wall. -- Boyd

Free Internet Business - http://www.quickinfo247.com/8288424/FREE
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2003 2:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't forget the abs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2003 5:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you could try this:

Boztepe's Hotel Workout
    People have enquired about Sifu Emin Boztepe's hotel workout he undertakes, while travelling on the seminars. Here it is:

The 'Hotel Workout' circuit as described by Sifu Emin:

Max time: 10-12 minutes. (i.e. non-stop end-to-end, but expect to take 15
    min)

A) 1 x 50 squats with chain punches, non-stop. (You could vary the width of
    your stance for each set).
    * NO BREAK! *
    B) 1 x 30 push-ups. (You could vary the position of your hands for each
    set).
    * NO BREAK! *
    C) 1 x 30(?) sit-ups with chain punches.
    * NO BREAK! *
    D) 1 x 30(?) Out Falling-step. Like karate stance. Bend knees, go down,
    jump up & switch legs. With chain-punches
    * NO BREAK! *
    E) 50 x rolls with abdominal wheel.

NB: Repeat A to E three times.

This is just his maintenance routine - those that know him will know what his serious training involves - not bad for a 42 year old!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2003 6:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi,

Its good that you are working on stamina,strength and flexibility.
    I think you are a WT guy maybe you could make your workouts more WT-specific.A few examples:
    1.fall into groundfighting position and chain punch then get up and repeat.
    2.stand on one leg and continous chain punching
    3.do crunches with chain punches
    4.continous chain kick(repeated kicking with one leg w/out putting the kicking leg down) you could also do the kicks very slow!

So just use your imagination and always vary your training.
    You could also work on your wing tsun as well i.e practise forms footwork and wall bag training etc

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2003 2:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think at home is a good time to sharpen some techniques too, dunno what ur class structure's like but mine's pretty pressured and its hard to have time to make the techniques better, so at home i do stuff like knee raises in front of a mirror to minimize telegraphing and then work on the motion of a roundhouse to work out the smoothness of the move, then i try to do a couple of sets of knee raises (1 by 1, but try to be as fast as possible on each one, then rest, and then kick again) to try to build up more explosiveness for roundhouses, but no where near 600 kicks, more like 105 each day (3 sets of 35), cus i think quality is better than quantity away from class, hope this helps

Posted On:
    8/25/2003 10:19am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    strange how i never focused on chain anything in both the Wing Chun schools i went to

WT SUCKS!!!

--
    Hard Work, Patience, Dedication

Fighting Multiples - http://bullshido.com/article_read.asp?id=162

Edited by - pizdoff on August 25 2003 13:56:41
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2003 12:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    get a weight vest and wrist and ankle weights and do all your normal routines with those on and you will be fine.