222234 Bullies, 4175 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 31 to 40 of 42
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. catfishaggie is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    699

    Posted On:
    6/07/2009 9:33pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who was your instructor? It's nice to see a fellow citizen of the Metroplex on here.
  2. Tex is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    390

    Posted On:
    6/07/2009 9:49pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by catfishaggie View Post
    Who was your instructor? It's nice to see a fellow citizen of the Metroplex on here.
    J.B. Murphy, James McMurray, George Petrotta, Steve Seo, In Sun Seo..

    I have my silver lined general's Uniform and everything, not having ever set foot on the mat with a Kuk Sool Kid because In Hyuk Suh does not allow outside styles at his events, and Hanminjok, if you can believe it, is considered an outside style.. STOP THE HATE!.. lol..
  3. catfishaggie is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    699

    Posted On:
    6/07/2009 10:09pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably a derail but when you can send me a pm and I'll be more than happy to get some sort of td and beers going around here. As far as Teuk Kong, unlike some KMAers don't buy into the super secret 5000 year old claims that get made but see it as extra traing time. I am with Murphy right now and when I get further along and some money saved up I'm planning to also go to Machado for bjj.
  4. Tex is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    390

    Posted On:
    6/08/2009 1:59pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by catfishaggie View Post
    Probably a derail but when you can send me a pm and I'll be more than happy to get some sort of td and beers going around here. As far as Teuk Kong, unlike some KMAers don't buy into the super secret 5000 year old claims that get made but see it as extra traing time. I am with Murphy right now and when I get further along and some money saved up I'm planning to also go to Machado for bjj.
    Master Murphy is a great Hapkido teacher... And a good guy too. IMO, he has bought in to the McDojo system of running Dojangs though - A shop to sell stuff from, elaborately personalized uniforms and other equipment, Kids under 18 teaching class, all that.. BUT.. The guy is no joke and if he likes you, you will learn a lot from him because -- if he likes you, then it means that he can see that you are paying attention.

    Even in a short time, he can train you in some effective standing techniques. He is one of the few in Dallas that actually teaches Hapkido Grappling techniques from other positions as well. -AND- he doesnt delude his students with a bunch of talk about Hokus Pokus and smoke and mirrors. It's all applied to practical situations.

    Of course though, he's Hanminjok, and those Kuk Sool Sword Forms are tuff. But they look really cool if you can do em like Steve Seo. Other than the Hyungs though, Murphy really doesn't buy into the whole KSW philosophy, and neither do I.

    And he is probably the only person in North Texas, maybe even the whole state of Texas, that has any budding idea about what Teukgong really is.

    I respect Murphy very much. I won't talk about why I left his school though, so if that's why you want me to PM you then we won't go there. I don't drink either..

    I will say this though --

    My opinion is to stay with Murphy and at least get your BB with Hanminjok because It's recognized rank -AND- as an adult, he will train you in effective stuff.

    Regardless of what people think or say about SEO, the World Kido Federation is the closest thing to Unification of Hapkido, and it's apparently growing all over the world. I mean, when Marlin Sims jumps ship and swims over to the other side.. Regardless of the circumstances.. That says something about Hanminjok. And for what it's worth, in the world of Hapkido, you really can't get a better deal.

    After that, I would start looking around for some BJJ in Dallas. The school that I train at is in Carrollton. Machado is in there sometimes, a bunch of his BBs train in there and teach in there..We have a cage and some amateurs that go in there.. couple pros. We don't have a Judo program right now I don't think, but there are several Judoka that are in there throwing mofos around all the time.

    We do have BJJ, MMA, Wrestling, and Muay Thai.

    The coach is a very respected man around Dallas. A lot of people train there.

    Not knocking Machado, and I don't know where you live.. But Star JiuJitsu and Wrestling is right off Josey Ln. and GB in Carrollton.. North Side of GB at the intersection of Josey and Frankford. Just look for the Sign that says Martial Arts.. PM me if you're ever thinking of checkin it out and I'll send you my name.

    Here's the link -
    http://www.starbjj.com/

    Here's Murphy's Link for other readers of the post. -
    http://www.jtms.info/
  5. catfishaggie is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    699

    Posted On:
    6/08/2009 2:31pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Naw,
    There was no implication of the p.m. request other than maybe trying to get an official Dallas T.D. going much like what JNP and those guys have down in Austin without derailing the thread. Why you leave an instructor is personal experience and I believe best left unasked unless offered. The beer, well just being friendly. Thanks for the advice on the bjj, I am happy where I am at right now and do enjoy Mr. Murphy's classes and didn't mean to imply anything different. It's just so cool to see another Bully in the area.
  6. Tex is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    390

    Posted On:
    6/08/2009 2:50pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by catfishaggie View Post
    Naw,
    There was no implication of the p.m. request other than maybe trying to get an official Dallas T.D. going much like what JNP and those guys have down in Austin without derailing the thread. Why you leave an instructor is personal experience and I believe best left unasked unless offered. The beer, well just being friendly. Thanks for the advice on the bjj, I am happy where I am at right now and do enjoy Mr. Murphy's classes and didn't mean to imply anything different. It's just so cool to see another Bully in the area.
    Sorry then bro.. Nah it wasn't against you.. I just start rattling **** off when that subject comes up.. Yeah.. I'm gonna talk to some of the guys at my gym about the throwdown thing too because there's not one.. I'm sure more than a few of those guys would love to be a member. No man.. im totally down for that.

    naw man.. I appreciate the offer for the beer completely.. You should come up there to Star if you get a chance man.. Yousef will give you a free lesson so you can see what you think.. He'll even hook you up with a Dobok to wear.
  7. catfishaggie is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    699

    Posted On:
    6/08/2009 2:58pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice, I'll talk to some of the guys as well and it will be great to get something going. I'll p.m. you in a couple of weeks about swinging by for a class, got to get everything settled down with work first (got to get caught up in Hapkido too because of it). I'll go to the T.D. area and see what we got to do to get it posted on here as well.
  8. Tex is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    390

    Posted On:
    6/08/2009 3:23pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by catfishaggie View Post
    Nice, I'll talk to some of the guys as well and it will be great to get something going. I'll p.m. you in a couple of weeks about swinging by for a class, got to get everything settled down with work first (got to get caught up in Hapkido too because of it). I'll go to the T.D. area and see what we got to do to get it posted on here as well.
    agreed!.. cool man.. I'll join, as I'm sure a lot of our other Dallas heads will. I'm surprised that there's not a Dallas throwdown..
  9. jkdbuck76 is offline
    jkdbuck76's Avatar

    Here, hold these for me.

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    4,989

    Posted On:
    6/15/2009 11:24am

    Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just curious: how old is Suh and when will he hand the WKSA over to Sung Jin Suh?
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."
  10. Wolf is offline
    Wolf's Avatar

    T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,540

    Posted On:
    6/23/2009 8:44pm

    staff
     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkdbuck76 View Post
    Just curious: how old is Suh and when will he hand the WKSA over to Sung Jin Suh?
    Not sure it's actually going to Sung Jin Suh. I've heard rumors Alex might get control since he's already based at HQ. Of course I haven't had ANY insider information since I left the Won 3 years ago so the rumors could just that.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.