Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 3:40am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tukkong, Gongkwon Yusul

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taekwonjo is correct from the Korean perspective in Korea. That is, Koreans view Kuk Sul Won as a school of Hapkido. As for Hapkido coming from KSW, I guess that depends upon the master's opinion. To be honest, my master never commented on it. I once told him about Choi Yong Sul. He said that he had never heard that version of Hapkido history, neither did he seem interested in it. Having said that, he was not the sort of guy to push his opinions on people.

The similarity of Teukgong Moosool to Kuk Sul Won depends upon the association. The Daehan Teukgong Moosool Association is very similar to Kuk Sul Won because the grandmaster used to be a Kuk Sul Won master. However, a blackbelt in Kuk Sul Won does not automatically grant you a blackbelt in Teukgong - I know because I have blackbelts in both styles. Actually, I was a bit annoyed at having to relearn the same stuff. At the same time, there are enough differences to see that the styles are not identical.

The Korea World Tukkong Association has a different tukkong/teukgong syllabus because the founders are ex-military special forces guys. They are moving back to combat training.

The International Tukkong Federation is different again.

Having watched Kuk Sul Won demonstrations, I must say that training in Korea seems to be different to North America. Even in Korea, different gyms train differently. I didn't learn any weapons, whereas other Korean Kuk Sul Won gyms teach a lot of weapons (which, of course KSW is somewhat famous for). Even my uniform was just a normal uniform. It didn't have any frilly bits or fancy aspects to it at all.

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 4:33am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Checking out In-Sun Seo's Kido federation page, I've noticed a few things:

1) Kuk Sool is deemphasized.

2) They refer to their parent org as the Hanminjok Hapkido association.

3) They link to an MMA org called Neofight run by one of the Seos.

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 11:45am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im originally from Australia where there is (to my knowledge) only one Kuk Sool Won school. Also I believe you gain much more credibility as an instructor if you have spent time over seas training.

From what I have read about Kuk Sa Nim I couldnt agree more that Kuk Sool is a split from Hapkido. His english is very poor so it may have been miscommunication. And every school here named "Hapkido" tends to teach differently. Though all the comps and demos ive been involved in tend to learn more toward Kuk Sool rather then traditional hapkido.

Kuk Sool is not the most practical martial art, but it is a very beautiful one that teaches some important techniques to be more nimble and versatile. For example once you learn the basics of joint locking, you can easily add on from there after learning to feel your opponents movements and master your own body motion, which makes it practical in live situations. I worked here as a bodyguard and as a bouncer back home, and what they teach does work if taken with the correct mentality. Ofcourse its not as practical as more combat orientated arts.

Everyone knows that its near impossible to get a clear history of a korean art from a korean. Just the other day my manager was telling me that the arts originated from China then travelled down to Korea where they were then passed onto the Japanese. Is this at all credible?

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 11:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They also have a second love for full contact fighting. At demos i've seen they do baseball bat breaks and choreographed fighting similar to muay thai/boxing. My school also teaches some of the techniques, though badly modified.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/15/2009 7:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained at kuk sool for about a year and was unimpressed. I should have known better than to join when all the students looked more suited for a Magic tournament than martial arts. The majority of kicking drills were kicking the air and all the hapkido like moves were preformed on non-resisting opponents. It is a good place to try and get in shape or take up a family hobby, but if you want to learn how to fight its not the place to go.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2009 7:40pm

Style: Hapkido, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by No Name View Post
    I trained at kuk sool for about a year and was unimpressed. I should have known better than to join when all the students looked more suited for a Magic tournament than martial arts. The majority of kicking drills were kicking the air and all the hapkido like moves were preformed on non-resisting opponents. It is a good place to try and get in shape or take up a family hobby, but if you want to learn how to fight its not the place to go.
    If it is a "good place to try and get in shape," why did all the students look like Magic players?

:new_silly

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/15/2009 10:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They were all socially awkward and in dire need or some Clearasil.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2009 3:38pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And here I always thought the split of Hapkido and Kuk Sool was because the Seo brothers got into semantic hissy fit (basically from what I was told by my teacher). Wolf I do not know how interested you are still in this but I have Hapkido I from Kim and if you want me to send a summary or scan the history section and send it to you let me know.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    5/22/2009 4:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was told that Seo was testing North American people for their 5 degree black belts himself and not giving the proceeds to Grandmaster Suh (Seo's younger brother) in Houston.

In my imagination, it went something like this:

Seo: I'll take your $2,000.00 for a 5th dahn test.
    Whitey: OK.

Suh: Seo, why you no give me some of that $2,000.00? Whitey lives in America?!
    I therefore kick you out....even though YOU were the one who trained Kuk Sool's future Grandmaster.

Seo: That's ok. All those years I spent preaching kuksool...... Now I name myself Grandmaster of Hanminjok Hapkido. Yep. I've been doing hapkido all these years.

It happens in business all the time: brothers who don't even speak to each other.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2009 7:15pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, never was told the details just that they gotten in a fight, cause I asked what the difference was.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast