• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/26/2007 5:02am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Were you injured after you tapped out? Did you read the forum description for MABS?

I am fairly new to bjj only a few months into the game. I really enjoy it so far but I have heard of people injuring people with ankle locks even after you tap. I would be pretty pissed off to say the least. Has anyone else had any experiences like this?

scg

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    3/26/2007 5:39am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Injuries happen, your instructor and partners should keep you safe*. Where do you train?

* Tap early to leg locks (and most things) until you have a grasp on what they are doing.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    3/26/2007 11:54am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tap early and tap often. people get injured by submissions for one of two reasons:

a: the person applying the technique lacks experience with it, and cranks too hard, too fast.

b: the person being submitted starts thinking stupid **** like "i can get out of this" even after the technique is on tight. ie, blue belt's disease. this is stupid, and is going to lead to injury.

assuming your training partners aren't assholes who throw on submissions they don't know well really hard, then you're only going to get injured by good technique if you're a dumbass and tap too late. it takes time for a submission to be released. that's why you tap early.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/26/2007 12:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    it takes time for a submission to be released. that's why you tap early.
    Exactly. There's a lag in how quickly you can respond to a tap (I know because I busted up a dude's elbow).

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    3/26/2007 6:10pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are a couple of subs that you have to ease OFF or you'll get hurt, but if someone's got an ankle or knee solid, just freaking tap. Your penis dosent't get smaller for it.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    3/26/2007 6:26pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually injured a guy on Sunday with a heelhook. His leg was so sweaty my grip slipped and popped his ankle. He was able to walk out on it, but it looked pretty painful...

First time that's ever happened for me.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    3/26/2007 7:42pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what do you meant his leg was so sweaty you grip slipped and popped his ankle. Was he pissed off?

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/26/2007 8:59pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Avoid sparring with other brand new students if you can, especially mat spazzes (people who have zero control and try to make up for it by using speed or strength), and you're much less likely to have any problems.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    3/26/2007 9:06pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was in the process of locking the heel in the crook of my elbow when arm just slipped down his leg and off his foot, making a popping noise and causing some pain and swelling.

He wasn't pissed. I hadn't even really applied any pressure yet, so he never felt anything. It was just kinda weird.

It's grappling. **** happens.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.