Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 10:37am

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by switch245
    Where did you find these quotes? i would like to look into that. What is the name of your scgool wenny?

oh and yes, we do spar, at higher levels of training, students put on those mma style gloves (or sometimes bare knuckle) and spar. Also, on the site he says its free sparring.
    First Quote

2nd Quote Transcribed from this PDF

When I first started sparring, we used Kenpo style gloves. It's what my teacher preferred. My school has switched to boxing gloves, while another one I have visited now uses MMA style gloves. I prefer the boxing gloves, but they are also what we needed to compete in San Shou.

I'm glad to find this, as Portland is a possible relocation for my family. I've only known about a Muay Thai school and an eagle claw place out there before...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 1:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BSL, Bagua, Xing I & More

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My school is Fen Kwoon. http://www.fenkwoon.com. My sifu is Jason VanWinkle, he's a disciple of Master Robert Louie of http://www.jingmo.org. His BSL comes from GM Wong Jack Man, you know, the guy that fought and Bruce Lee in 1964, but that is a whole nother story!! Anyway, he teaches Bak Sil Lum kung fu, Chen Style Tai Chi, Fu Bagua, Xing I, and he's currently working on Jow Ga, he's not teaching Jow Ga yet though. Not for a while!! And we do Southern Lion Dance.

He just moved up here and is currently in the process of restarting his school....

**Edited for link quality ;)**
    Last edited by WennyVW; 3/27/2007 1:31pm at . Reason: Link

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 1:43pm

Style: etc

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yiquan can be good. You can develop your body and movement to do different things than you would in a typical western paradigm sports science. Whether you can use those skills to fight is a different thing entirely .

There is documented evidence of kyokushinkai karate fighters seriously training with Japanese yiquan practitioners (it's called taikiken there).

http://www.budokaratehouse.com/honbu/fukushima06.htm

Here's the relevant quote:
    "Both Kancho Royama and Fuko-Kancho Hiroshige practiced Ikken extensively during their youth when training for Kyokushin competition and both attribute this training for their tournament wins then."

Anyway, some people think that the internal martial arts method is easier, and that it means that smaller, lazier people can beat tough, conditioned fighters. Not true. It's harder...you have to do both the regular fighting training, be brutally honest with yourself, and additionally practice the internal conditioning. The conditioning itself isn't going to make you a champ, any more than being able to squat 3x your body weight and benchpress 2x is going to make you a UFC champ. It might help though =)

If you want to find out if your teacher's yiquan skill is real, have him stand in a parallel stance, and try to push him over with all your strength. If he can just stand there and laugh at you, and bounce you away, then he has the skills that make yiquan, and other internal arts unique.

If he can't then....that could be a problem.

Oh and if he has the skills and he's really old school, he may just slam you into the ground.

But then at least you know it's not bullshido =)
    Last edited by wackamole; 3/27/2007 1:46pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 2:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BSL, Bagua, Xing I & More

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just as long as you remember 1 crucial thing - not all good teachers are good fighters & not all good fighters are good teachers... Most of the teachers I know that are REALLY GOOD teachers are not good fighters at all, and it goes for the opposite as well.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 2:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by whackamole
    If you want to find out if your teacher's yiquan skill is real, have him stand in a parallel stance, and try to push him over with all your strength. If he can just stand there and laugh at you, and bounce you away, then he has the skills that make yiquan, and other internal arts unique.
    Do you really believe anyone can do this?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 2:38pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    Do you really believe anyone can do this?
    and even if someone can--what would make it a relevant litmus test?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 2:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes, if they only allow you to push in one area
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 2:43pm

Style: etc

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Locu5,

I've seen it and felt it myself.

I've also felt it/seen it done from kneeling against a wrist grab, just as a demonstration of power.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 2:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is not magical power you damn magic pants wearing hippie freaks.

There are alot of positions in which the body becomes pretty immovable (i.e. the stupid bending arm)...this is no test of power or skill or strength. Your teacher does not have to be a good fighter to teach you to be one. But don't fall for mystical ****. It is the year 2007 and we can demonstrate skill and power without having to resort to gods and self-proclaimed authority
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 2:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wackamole
    Locu5,

I've seen it and felt it myself.

I've also felt it/seen it done from kneeling against a wrist grab, just as a demonstration of power.
    So someone stood there and allowed you to push them with all of your might (perpendicular to their lateral base) and they did not move? Please elucidate.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast