Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2009 12:56am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. He was never a student of the Oakland school. 2. He was never a student of Bruce Lee's. 3. He was however a student of James Yim Lee for less than 2 years in James' Garage. 4. He is not a Professor by doctorate or at least not while I was in his company. He is a "grand master" or "soke" of a self invented system and has went on to develope new styles and teaches what was pasted on to him from James Lee but it is not comprehensive and I found he often augmented his "original" JDK with Japanese systems that he seemed way more familiar and comfortable with. There are other things that are not kosher but he WAS a marine and a cop. I've seen old pictures. He does have a solid foundation in some martial art I just never figured out what! I do think it was probably of Japanese Origin but most of what he teaches I watched evolve from a primordial soup of half learned, cross ranked, papper certificate is the proof martial arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2009 12:57pm

Style: judo, boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Disobizqit View Post
    1. He was never a student of the Oakland school. 2. He was never a student of Bruce Lee's. 3. He was however a student of James Yim Lee for less than 2 years in James' Garage. 4. He is not a Professor by doctorate or at least not while I was in his company. He is a "grand master" or "soke" of a self invented system and has went on to develope new styles and teaches what was pasted on to him from James Lee but it is not comprehensive and I found he often augmented his "original" JDK with Japanese systems that he seemed way more familiar and comfortable with. There are other things that are not kosher but he WAS a marine and a cop. I've seen old pictures. He does have a solid foundation in some martial art I just never figured out what! I do think it was probably of Japanese Origin but most of what he teaches I watched evolve from a primordial soup of half learned, cross ranked, papper certificate is the proof martial arts.
    Dill's big thing is credentials. He claims to be a 5th or better in at least five systems. I tried one of his JKD kicks in a minor street altercation while working security. Damn near got me killed.

In the brief period I was with him in the early 90s, he discouraged me from continuing my boxing, greco, and judo. Didn't throw up a red flag as fast back then. After all, he was the 'expert'. :lame:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2009 2:51pm

Style: BJJ, JJJ and JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All I can add to this is that Larry Hartsell and Dan Inosanto speak very poorly of him...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2010 9:35pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Came across this little gem while arguing :-) with one of Dill's students.

http://www.ushapkido.com/GMPost.htm

Dill's take on why he's a "legitimate" GM.

In order to combat this activity, the World Head of Family Soke-ship Council was formed ten years ago. The WHFSC is the world�s largest grandmaster organization comprised of over 250 members of all different martial arts systems from the US and the international martial arts community. Some of the most famous martial artists in the world are members of the WHFSC.
    Worth reading for the lultz.

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 6:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kenpo karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was student of Dill's in Tahlequah Ok. in the late 80's, the truth is out there on credentials as well anyone can purchase credentials. A student in high scholol was with him for less than a year and blew by attaining a black belt under "professor" Dill, while that "burnfoot sidekick" is potentially devastating it would need to be used on an almost incapacitated target and then you get into laws of excessive force. Dill is a jerk, i knew him he lied to my mother a single mother and full time student at NSU. She paid his enrollment fees including the B.S. lifetime membership to his B.S. association federation or whatever the hell he calls it today.
    She asked him due to restraints in money I.e> grants and loans and what i made part time, how much future costs would be he said 30.00 a month paid quarterly, no more, well one week in he wants to test me asking price 10.00 and 25.00 for the belt. So I manage it two weeks later stepping from white with black slash to yellow another 10.00 and now 35.00 for the different color belt. Ok last amount My mother would pay out guess what in two more weeks another tyest and a proposition for another belt, My mother pulled me from him. Just to give the old bastard the benefit of the doubt after i got back to town from BASIC and Ait i enrolled in Nsu on a dare i dyed my hair bodacious burgundy or eggplant color. Gary took me in guess what I paid, the quarterly and the guess what the installment to the lifetime mebership, see the name had changed and therefore i was no longer under the auspice of the old association or federation. The fact is Dill is legit as a fighter, he can pull that off no doubts, but as a legit jkd person, really I have seen a few in real life and he resembles none of them, his footwork isn't as crisp nor is the upper body control. In Oklahoma we suffer many charlatans, its easy to come here we are not on the beating trail of any real martial arts and therefore the reality and quality of what is represented is often fabricated and achieved either through financial means or otherwise just plain old fraud.
    He is not a person with whom I would consider someone to go to even if i did not like that person, to represent a lie would make me as culpable to fraud as he is.
    I have tried to contact the Bruce lee foundation to see if there are any registered teachers near Oklahoma. I have not been successful in my search, the closest thing to this would be Sonlight Wing Chun Academy in Bethany Oklahoma Taught by real master Sifu Tony Chan, I hope this helps i took a long time decidinmg if i would post this and of course my experiance of mr. Dill is a limited experience in the scope of my own and is not intended to be hurtfull or negative of anyone elses, and my opinion though strong is formed from my own experiances.
    Mr. Dill is not here to defend himself and so i will keep it to the practicality of my own personal and ill fated relationship and the providence of the brief exposure.

Posted On:
    3/14/2012 10:30am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Flithy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More Joke Kun Do. I always wonder what has gone so wrong in these peoples lives that they feel the need to make themselves appear as something they are not. Do they look in the mirror in the morning and believe the stuff they make up about themself? It is pitiful, and sad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2012 8:01pm

Style: Still deciding.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless things have drastically changed since I used to talk to people in the JKD community figuring out if someone was legit rarely took more then a couple of phone calls. The internet is not the best solution to stuff like this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2012 8:57pm

Style: JP Jeet June Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By Swamp Fox
    So tell me some reason why the JKD side kick, while powerful, should require me to turn my back on my opponent. Explain why a JKD punch must be vertical
    Read more at showthread.php?t=52824&page=2#0ITOchijsU33iGij.99
    I know this question is rhetorical, but their is only one kick where you turn your back, its basically a spinning back kick. There are as many JKD punches as there are in boxing, and they are not all vertical, but all use the 3 knuckle landing, and hit with the whole fist to disperse the impact, since its bareknuckle. What Disobizqit said is consistant with what I was told about him.

to OP
    Search for Dillman on the JKD brotherhood forum, the consensus is he is not a representation of JKD.

http://pauljbax.forumco.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=30

I trained JKD exclusivly for 5 years, and simply looking for a "OJKD" school will probably not get you what you want. Here is a basice lineage guide if your looking for JKD

Ted Wong: Distance fighters, very boxing oriented, lots of sparring, focus on mobility, and the straight lead. No or very limited ground fighting, or clinch, or trapping. Generaly against competition, Da streetz is deadly, stick and move strategy.

WNG: Tim Tacket and Bob Bremer's guys. They focus on the material that Bruce used, like Ted Wong's, but with a strong emphasis on simplified trapping, they will add Muay Thay, or wrestling stuff if it already fits their stance and delivery system, and they have a positie attitude about MMA.

Jerry Poteet: Similar to WNG, but will NOT add anything, they are purists, heavy emphasis on trapping, and infighting Da streetz is deadly, Crash the centerline, and destroy strategy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2012 10:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet-fu View Post
    Unless things have drastically changed since I used to talk to people in the JKD community figuring out if someone was legit rarely took more then a couple of phone calls. The internet is not the best solution to stuff like this.
    I suppose "a couple of phone calls" would still work if one knew whom to call. If not, then using the internet to essentially ask the entire world actually is the best solution.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2012 10:32pm

Style: Still deciding.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dan Inosanto's academy phone number is really easy to find. What I meant is, looking around on internet forums where people will say what they think they read/heard somewhere forever ago is not a source.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast