Actual Photo

Posted On:
    3/23/2007 7:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by truepwrz
    i dont know any san shou gyms close.... so i learn muay thai and judo to make up for it i was kicking a 100lb punching bag, i learned muay thai for like 15 days then last month i shin kicked someone in the knee and injured my lower right shins so i took a month off and i just started back today and when i shin kick i feel quite some pain
    Wow ... that is just ... wow .

So have you ever had a conversation with your coach about this ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    3/23/2007 9:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i told him it hurts, he checked out my medical conditions saying that my shins are perfectly ok now, the he just told me quit being a girl and take the pain like a man
    Different ways of kicking will hurt more. If you bring your leg up and swing it down in sort of an arch and hit at a bit of a downward angle it will generally hurt your shin much less than if you kick at a bit of an upward angle or even straight in.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    3/23/2007 9:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Different ways of kicking will hurt more. If you bring your leg up and swing it down in sort of an arch and hit at a bit of a downward angle it will generally hurt your shin much less than if you kick at a bit of an upward angle or even straight in.
    I would like to add the caveat of " with proper training and conditioning " .
    I see truepwrz's situation as a lack of both (no offense) .

I personally think it hurts less because I miss knees and elbows more often while angling the kick down into target .

Getting more power into an unconditioned leg may not be the best idea .

Oh and truepwrz ... try hitting the bag a little higher up for a bit , it should be a little softer .
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    3/23/2007 9:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I'm purely referring to my experience kicking the thai bag. I find that if I kick sort of upwards it hurts my shin a fair bit more than if I kick at a downward angle. And of course you really should generally be kicking with the shin pointed at a bit of a downward angle as that shows you're actually turning your hip over.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    3/23/2007 9:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i told him it hurts, he checked out my medical conditions saying that my shins are perfectly ok now, the he just told me quit being a girl and take the pain like a man
    Sounds like a good plan , start there . Seriously did you think he was kidding ? Conditioning only feels good if you are a masochist .
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    3/23/2007 9:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It really does make a pretty significant differance.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    3/23/2007 9:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Well I'm purely referring to my experience kicking the thai bag. I find that if I kick sort of upwards it hurts my shin a fair bit more than if I kick at a downward angle. And of course you really should generally be kicking with the shin pointed at a bit of a downward angle as that shows you're actually turning your hip over.
    But if you turn your hip over and miss ... you have all this inertia and it makes you spin around .

You are right about the bag . I thought about it and realized in Hapkido we were using wavemasters which are considerably more forgiving than a standardly filled heavy bag and that was the last time I used round kicks without a MT flavor . Took me a while to get used to normal bags again . I found cutting my kicks downward ( there by increasing the power ) actually caused me to hit higher up on the bag after a few attempts at abusing my right shin on the bottom 12 inches of the bag (not a banana bag or a 6 footer , I have yet to kick one of those neato MT bags that touch the floor ) .
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 3/24/2007 1:27am at . Reason: just to label the first part as feigned ignorance ...
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    3/23/2007 11:38pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Uh? Your MT instructor told you to use your instep instead of your shin?????? Are you sure you got that right????
    Here, let me help with reading comprehension.

today is the first day i started back muay thai, my coach talked to me about me using my instep instead of the shins to kick and keep changing stances was wrong, i was wondering is keeping in one stance and using shin to kick really that important??? I am not questioning my coach but i was just wondering do all pros and amateurs fight like that???
    :icon_rr:

Posted On:
    3/25/2007 10:04pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks plate. i tried out the trick annatrocity gave it does help alittle but i wonder how long would it take to stop hurting
    what, the shin? give it 1 - 2 weeks rest, or take it lightly at least. Once it heals up, it'll get stronger. Rinse and repeat till they turn to iron.

Just don't go banging away when they're still hurting, you'll be doing more harm than good.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    3/25/2007 10:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KICK THE TREE

edit: your brother... remember?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast