Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2007 7:48am

Style: Karate, boxing newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shorinjiryu Kenkokan SoHombu Doko (Tokyo)

I train with master Hisataka at the hombu dojo for Shorinjiryu Kenkokan karatedo in Waseda, Tokyo. I've been training there for about 4 years (minus a year off with a broken leg, unrelated to training...).

Classes are small and a range of age from very young to a guy in his '60s. Hisataka Shihan is also in his 60s but in better shape than I am (at 34).

Typically classes are:
    Kata
    Warm-up drills
    Training and striking drills, including padwork
    Striking drills using anzen bogu and men (face protector)
    Koshiki karate training
    Cool down drills

The dojo is a very relaxed atmosphere - very strict manners and protocols but not militaristic in any way. Every student gets lots of attention from Hisataka shihan (there are usually 5-10 of us in class) and it is a very friendly place. Two students who train there are world champions so the caliber of training when they are there is extremely high. It is an incredible honor to train with the Hisataka family.

The only drawback is that there is a lack of young, hard hitting fighters to train with. The student base is more of a "family" dojo right now so the only hard fight training I get is when one of the top students is available.

If your goal is competitive fighting then I would recommend you to go to another dojo that focuses more on MMA training - there are some great places in Tokyo. But if you want to train karate in a traditional atmosphere that is very "alive" in training atmosphere, has full contact freestyle sparring using the anzen bogu for safety, has a strong underpinning in morality and developing yourself as a full human being, then it's a great place. We participate in international tournaments usually once a year and there are always some extremely tough fighers from overseas, especially Russia, that participate. So it is by no means a bullshido environment.

Anybody who lives in, or is visiting, Tokyo and is interested in checking us out, please send me a mail.

Paul

Posted On:
    3/23/2007 10:08am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is "Koshiki karate training"?
    How do you know your striking instruction rates a 10 when you don't have a fight team?
    World champions in what?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/23/2007 10:13am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I doubt this person has read the guidelines on reviewing your style or is just over-enthusiastic about his dojo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2007 8:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, nope didn't read the guidance on reviewing my style.

Koshiki karatedo is a competition system in which participants use anzen bogu (body protector) and men (face protector). Scoring techniques are any technique scored on the bogu or men, ie punches, kicks, knees, strikes. We don't score headbutts or elbows. Contact is supposed to be "controlled contact" but in competition it is basically full contact. We only score leg kicks to the extent that they are sweeps rather than leg strikes a la kickboxing/muay thai.

The world champions to which I refer are world champions in the koshiki karate system.

If you have any particular questions or comments I'd be happy to provide more information.

Paul

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2007 8:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    What is "Koshiki karate training"?
    How do you know your striking instruction rates a 10 when you don't have a fight team?
    World champions in what?
    PizDoff - is there a definition of fight team on the site? Yes we have people who fight in koshiki karate tournaments but not in MMA tournaments. I erred on the side of caution in assuming that it is not a fight team. I consider the striking a 10 from having seen people being KOd on more than one occasion despite wearing a full protective helmet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2007 8:20am

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bogu kumite looks like fun. I definetly want to try.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2007 10:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I enjoy bogu karate because you can go pretty close to full contact with minimal risk of injury. For an older guy like me who works in an office, it's better to not be showing up at work with black eyes and missing teeth :-)

The only change I would make to the koshiki karate competition system is to allow leg kicks like in muay thai and also score takedowns. But even without that, it's a lot of fun and you get a good chance to test your standup skills in a very alive way.

paul