Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2007 1:05pm

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

my stress fractured shin(s) -with pictures!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2007 1:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, only the one pic so far as i can't get the rest to go up.

this is of a scan taken last sunday; the white ball thing at the the lower left hand side is a magnetic thing that the doctor asked me to place on my shin right where i felt the msot pain. As can be seen from the scan, i was pretty much right on the button, as underneath it you can see the faint line that denotes the hairline fracture to my tibial bone. I've got one in the other shin, too.

I first thought it was shin splints when the pain started a few months ago and carried on training despite the pain, until it got stupildy bad to the poin that putting my feet on the floor when getting out of bed in the morning was jarring them and causing pain (yes, i am teh stoopid m.f. i know);

anyway, symptoms, if anyone is curious: very similar to shin splints and often confused with them,

characterised by a pain in the lower shin area (or wherever...), there will be tenderness on an area of the lower leg and usually a very narrow spot of sharp pain that can be located using the fingertip with medium/deep pressure. That sharp spot is the location of the fracture.

differentiating from shin splints - gets worse with continued exertion, not better. shin splints often recede after the muscle 'warms up'.

also, night pain is apparently a very common complaint. I had this for about a week, i was waking up with my legs throbbing. not pleasant. Also, are often located on the very inside of the lower tibia, where there is little muscle for a shin splint to develop.

remedy - according to the doc complete rest.

timeline - ???? "could be six weeks, could be six months".

cause - for me, apparently, mongy feet. more specifically, excessive foot pronation (thats improper weight distribution, to you and me). i tend to wear the heels down on the outside of my shoes, indicating my feet are not properly balanced. thsi has a knock-on effect on the lower limb's load-bearing and shock-absorbing qualities.

with me, i think the fractures have been brought on by skipping and running, as these were when the pain was most apparent. i've refrained from either for over amonth now, but 've still got that 'sore spot' on the lower shin.

oh, and apprently anti-inflammatories INHIBIT bone re-growth and so do not aid recovery from thsi type of injury.

Anyone else ever had similar? or know about it? would welcome some advice. Only from people who really know what they are talking about though, no guesswork please.

oh, and would grappling do it serious harm? the trainee osteo at our gym thinks light grappling should be ok;

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    3/21/2007 1:33pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My feet have excessive pronation as well. You have to really keep up with new running sneakers because once they get worn down they're worse than no good.

Can you buy Asics over in the UK? The owner of my gym suggested them to me as the best brand overall, short of a custom orthotic sneaker which is actually the best if you can afford them.

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 6:13am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just saw your post while searching the internet for info regarding shin splints and muay thai. I'm scheduled to have my first muay thai smoker in a couple weeks and my lower right shin is killing me, almost identically to how you describe it. I'm worried now because I don't have health insurance and probably can't afford an x-ray here in the US without one.

I couldn't view your picture so do you think you could post it again?

thanks,
    Tim

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 7:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^ pm me your email address and i will send you a whole load of them (well, 4 to be precise).

if you have got that "sharp spot", that one little point that hurts when you give it some pressure with your fingertip, you probably have a stress fracture.

also, if the pain/point is located slightly off centre to the inside of the leg, that is another key indicator as there is **** all muscle there for you to get a splint in.

if you suspect a stress fracture DO NOT FIGHT. seriously, i am the world's worst for thinking "**** it, i will be alright, i will just do this and then i will rest", but the physio told me that a couple of solid repeated impacts right on the spot (ie shin blocks, or you getting your kick blocked - even worse imo) could either do some damage and set you back even more months, or really **** your **** up and split your shin wide open. its not worth it for an amateur bout. get your **** sorted.

i've done no thai since march 5th, although i have been grappling; my right leg is still sore to the touch, possibly less so than before, and i will be going to the fracture clinic next work for more attention. this **** takes time to heal up apparently. its doing my head in, but what can you do?

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 10:51am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Put the pictures here:
    http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/useralbums.php

However, I don't know if non-supporting members can create a photo album directly. If you can't, email the pictures to me (tkagan@fabkom.com) and I'll create an album of your 4 pics and link them here.

And I agree 100% about stopping all kick training until the stress fracture heals. Otherwise, it could end up as bad as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yee_wVjgDbc

link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yee_wVjgDbc
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 3:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my email is tbolish@gmail.com. I'd really appreciate them. I've been calling around all day trying to find a place that isn't insanenly expensive to take an x-ray and get a consoltation.

Man, medical expenses in the US are pretty highway robbery if you ask me. If you can't afford health insurance, your pretty much fucked. Bunch of BS if you ask me. Sorry about that rant...just incredibly frustrating.

Thanks for the quick replies fellas, I'll let you know if I find out whats up with my leg.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 3:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @ tom - right, i will send em on next day or two. i've actually tried to become a supporting member before, but i couldnt progress to the actual payment stage for some reason?

@ tbolish - to be honest, xrays are pretty much useless for stress fractures - they dont show up til after they heal, when there are thick lines where the bone as healed.

you need an MRI scan or a radiation injection. yeah, i know, thats got expensive written all over it. stress fractures are such a useless awkward pain in the arse fucking shitty injury.

but still, better safe than sorry. you dont want a big dose of flop-leg like my guy up there^

Posted On:
    4/05/2007 5:54am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the pics, sure does look painful. This injury is really starting to frustrate me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2007 11:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tell me about it, its a fucking nuisance, but theres nowt you can do about it. as of last week, bjj is also off the menu coz i was rolling with a guy who weighs 200lbs ish and he knelt on the fracture site when passing my guard.

well, that fucking hurt, let me tell you.

its now gone worse than it was, although not as bad as at first. so for the next 4-6 weeks, i am doing **** all but rowing, exercise bike and lifting weights. although no squats etc. sucks bottom, but it has to be done.