Octopussy!

Posted On:
    3/20/2007 11:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wing Lung Kung Fu

So the main reason I joined the forum was to see was to gather opinions about this school, since you guys are probably better at spotting bullshido than I am. The site is:

http://www.winglungkungfu.com/ja/index.html

They mention they do grappling, and San Shou, which is great. I think I may be able to tolerate a few forms here and there, if they are required.

I won't be moving to the area that school is in for a while, so I won't be able to check them out too soon.

Thanks

By the way, is this in the right forum?

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    3/20/2007 11:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judging by their video http://www.winglungkungfu.com/ja/videos/demo.wmv I'd say that they appear to be a very realistic style concerntrating on practical self-defence and no-nonsense fighting. Highly suited to non-Chinese with an identity crisis.
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2007 11:57pm

Style: TKD BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This may not be the right forum, but I think the Mods will take care of that.

Anyway, the site seems OK...it doesn't look like they are claiming anything that smells like BS.

Plus, the picture of the guy doing the triangle choke doesn't look so bad...not perfect, as I've seen the senior guys in my class do, but not bad.

It's probably worth your while to check out a class or two when you get down there.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    3/21/2007 12:10am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't have anything against the sport of San Shau in all its variations, but I find this description a bit misleading to the general public and wannabe deadlies:
    San Shou:
    The word "San Shou" translates as "unbound hand" and refers to free fighting where the rules are designed to most accurately simulate actual combat. The rules of San Shou allow for a wide array of full contact punching, kicking, takedowns and throws derived from the traditional application of Chinese Martial Arts. San Shou addresses the three ranges of fighting- kicking, punching and grappling which adds realism to the sport. A fighter can win by a knockout or by points, points are also awarded for the techniques according to effectiveness
    From http://www.winglungkungfu.com/ja/grappling.html

And this one is plain silly
    Chinna:
    Capture Skills, also known as "Chinna," is used mainly for close combat fighting. Chinna utilizes the locking of joints, the striking and seizing of vital points, and the grasping of tendons and blood vessels. Chinna is often emphasized in the combat training of smaller persons because it is effective for use by them against larger, stronger opponents.

just die already.

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2007 12:36pm

Style: Chinese Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doesn't look too bad. The video does show a lot of modern wushu influence. As for the chin na picture, there's not enough detail there to really make a determination.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2007 4:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always hate it when you go to a kung fu website and there is a picture of the instructor doing the splits. What does that prove?
    Anyways, the site is alright. But , as already observed, some of the comments on the nature of San Shou are a bit exaggerated.
    You need to go and watch a classs or two to really see for sure and make a judgment.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    3/21/2007 9:07pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdinca
    Doesn't look too bad. The video does show a lot of modern wushu influence. As for the chin na picture, there's not enough detail there to really make a determination.
    Is it different from the Bok Fu variation on the "unrealistic knife defence" maybe? Seriously, it's bollox as a form of blade defence isn't it?

just die already.

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2007 9:37pm

Style: Chinese Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kickcatcher
    Is it different from the Bok Fu variation on the "unrealistic knife defence" maybe? Seriously, it's bollox as a form of blade defence isn't it?

LOL! My bad, I didn't see the knife in the picture. I don't have the best resolution on my computer at work. If the chin na picture is a knife defense, he's looking to get cut...Bad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2007 1:08pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These guys do incredible forms. They travel to Orlando to compete in one of the large Chinese tournaments once a year. The one guy from their school I saw compete in the advanced san shou won his division. He also pulled off a jump spin backfist. quite a site to behold. I think I have video of a Wing Lung guy doing his monkey form on my PC.. I'll dig it up.

Choy Lay Fut vs Wing Lum

Wing Lum is black and gold trunks.

I appear briefly in crutches in the background 3/4ths the way through the fight....

Monkey Form....
    Last edited by isol8d; 3/22/2007 1:31pm at .