Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 4:13pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo - Knee injuries

Are injuries to the knee very common in Judo and BJJ, because I have had some knee trouble, and am looking into starting one of these two martial arts.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 5:05pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moved form JMA. Not really a Judo or grappling question for DHS. Figured this was the best place for it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 6:01pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you already have some knee trouble you might want to start slow and see how your legs handle it. There's a lot of pivoting and twisting in Judo and if you already have compromised knees, sure, something could happen. I've seen a couple of bad knee blow-outs in competition. For example, one guy resisted a throw (tai otoshi) and getting his foot screwed into the mat while the rest of his body turned. It tore his ACL. One thing to look out for is practicing on old, soft wrestling mats. if your feet sink in and it makes pivoting on the ball of you foot difficult, its not a good surface. You want regulation tatami. The key thing is, learn to fall well, and if you get thrown just go with it. No reason to fight a throw and f*ck up your knee (or ankle or shoulder or neck.) But overall Judo is rather safe. BJJ seems pretty safe too although they do have leg locks. So leave your pride at the door and tap if your about to get injured.

Here's a article on Judo and injuries. Hope this helps. http://www.scielo.br/pdf/rbme/v12n1/en_v12n1a11.pdf.

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 6:09pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's always a risk in a contact sport where you get slammed to the floor. I ruptured my ACL while drilling a simple throw, the guy I was throwing fell on me kind of awkwardly whilst pinning my foot, and twisted the knee.

But except for severe injuries like mine, which are actually pretty rare, in general it's not too bad on the knees - not as bad as jogging every day anyway. Like cuatro says, learn to breakfall, and early on in your training get a feel for when you need to stop resisting and go with the throw.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 6:25pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a good point. Being able to fall well means you won't bail out onto somebody's leg. Another piece of advice, always try to work out with higher belts. They'll help correct your throws and falls as you practice with them. And they're safer for you to work out with.

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 6:58pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuatro76
    That's a good point. Being able to fall well means you won't bail out onto somebody's leg. Another piece of advice, always try to work out with higher belts. They'll help correct your throws and falls as you practice with them. And they're safer for you to work out with.
    Not always, it was a green who fell on my (white belt) knee. The twat. However my knee held out for a couple of weeks until the ligament fully snapped, and I triangled him a few times during that window. Ho ho

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 7:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your knees are already messed up, you should consider some good knee supports until the knees get a chance to heal. If your knee problems are related to torn miniscus (cartilage), just take the time to get it fixed before training. Save yourself a lot ot problems. Your knees will get a good workout in Judo and there will always be some risk. Working out with advanced rank, shodan or higher, will help minimise the risk, as mentioned before. Good luck with your training where ever you go.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 11:25pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My knee problem wasn't injury induced, it was something called patellofemoral pain syndrome, which is a rubbing of the kneecap on the femur. It hurts but can usually be remedied by physical therapy.