Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2007 2:47am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    Pls share....

On another note (throwing combos with 4 punches or more): My problems with throwing long combinations is this: I wish I could. Disclaimer: my boxing sucks.

Everytime I spar someone decent, and I go in with combos, I'd be VERY lucky to land 3 shots on him. Landing 2 is more probable. Of course, on a noob, you could combo all day and they won't react.

Problem is, once your first punch hits, he's going to counterpunch and your hands are going to be crossed and tied up, or you're going to get hit.

I've watched some boxing fights on youtube, and it seems this way too, most of the shots that land are one or two punch combos, I seldom see long combinations being thrown and landing.

So, is this a myth or what (long combos)?

Definitely not a myth. Sure, if you can land cleanly with just 1-2 combos and get out, repeat, then thats fine. But sometimes you'll fight someone who will make you miss or counter you. Then combos will bail you out... Throw the first couple of punches with not much intention, once you're inside following up with body to head combinations and most anyone's defense will fall short of this. A lot of times the last punch thrown will be the one that gets thru cleanest. Bottom line, if you keep throwing after they do, you will always land good shots and win over the judges, keep the fight in your momentum. They will always feel like you got the best of the exchanges.

Combination punching isnt just about tossing 7 punches in a row at them, it is about landing more often with more than just single punches. If you throw a 1-2, then turn, throw a hook, then follow with another 3 shots, it doesnt have to be like Meldrick Taylor blurry fist style.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2007 5:13pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    Pls share....

On another note (throwing combos with 4 punches or more): My problems with throwing long combinations is this: I wish I could. Disclaimer: my boxing sucks.

Everytime I spar someone decent, and I go in with combos, I'd be VERY lucky to land 3 shots on him. Landing 2 is more probable. Of course, on a noob, you could combo all day and they won't react.

Problem is, once your first punch hits, he's going to counterpunch and your hands are going to be crossed and tied up, or you're going to get hit.

I've watched some boxing fights on youtube, and it seems this way too, most of the shots that land are one or two punch combos, I seldom see long combinations being thrown and landing.

So, is this a myth or what (long combos)?
    Well it depends. Long combos will only work if you are quite superior to your opponent technically/timing/speed wise, or you're just that much better at reading him than he reads you.
    If the ones fighting are of equal skill then you will not be able to throw long combos most of the time, because if you haven't landed your first three shots, you will most likely get contered since you're starting to become open. Either that or you opponent will have the time to break the distance (moving away, to the side, or moving in on you so you can't punch). This is my experience. So there's no really no point to train a long combo and think it will work on everyone... it won't. But parts of it will. So I prefer shorter combos that you can combine. Anyway, after you have done enough combos and sparred sufficiently, you don't throw combos you have practised anymore, instead your oppoents openings tell you what punches to throw. And even as you're sparring you pick up on patterns and put new combos and feints together that will work well on that particular opponent.
    That being said, on fighters that are new to sparring long combos will most often work... in fact agressiveness wins most of the time at that level. But this is not true when you go past that level.

Now, about a few counters I like:

* My opponent starts off with a jab cross. I stand firm, picking the jab off with my right (rear) hand, and for the his right cross I put my right hand up on my forehead and cover, also bringing my left shoulder up using it as cover for the chin. Then I counter with my left hook to his chin. The upside to this technique is that your left hook comes faster and less telegraphed than with a traditional guard.
    You can sometimes see buakaw pramuk using this but he generally moves into clinch by grabbing the neck instead of throwing the hook with his left hand.

* As he jabs, teep him with front leg.

* This is more of a counter that works against opponents that like to be very agressive after you have thrown a lowkick.
    I attack with a slow lowkick that I want my opponent to block with his shin. I leave my leg out there, shin to shin sort of. My opponent sees his chance to move in with boxing or kick me, because I look off balance (at least not in my normal stance). So he quickly tries to move forward by planting his lead leg he just blocked my lowkick with, and thus putting his body weight on that lead leg. Just as his foot is about to land, I sweep his foot with the leg I "left out there". Now he's really off balance, standing sideways to me. I follow up with a left hook to the chin or a left kick.
    If I sweep hard enough he falls, IF he he was aggressive enough with his forward momentum.
    So that's an example of when agressiveness (done the "wrong" way) doesn't pay off.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2007 11:39pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with some of that. Sometimes I forget people fight with different styles. For the most part, I will stand on the outside and win a fight win 1-2 punches. If I run into a situation where I'm not easily winning by speed and good movement, then I have to get a little dirty in there. I'll throw the same 1-2, but if I get countered, I'm not gonna stand there and reset, I will follow up with shots until the clean-ups connect well. Making them fight and trying to have the last say. I don't mind a bit of trading toe to toe though, and I usually go in (at competitions) with the mind-set that I can take their best punch, and they can't take mine. Some people may have to fight differently with a different outlook.

It may just be the result of everyone in my gym (boxing) having the same mindset.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234