Sponsored Links Spacer Image

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    3/21/2007 8:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't believe in headgear, we never wore it at SBG.

Except for the new young instructor who teaches the SBG I class... he wears headgear AND hits harder... >:|
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2007 10:27pm

Style: Xing-Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    I absolutely loath most headgear. Really screws up my vision. I find that some headgear are actually much more dangerous than none at all because of the tendancy to not see a punch coming, which of course is going to be much more damaging. I think most gyms just make people wear headgear because of insurance liabilities rather than actual safety concerns.
    I would agree about the headgear. I wear a cage one and that sucks worse.

The one reason I do like to wear it is because I work in a white collar trading house and I could not go to work with the busted lips, cuts, and black eyes on a regular basis.

If I didnt have the job? I wouldnt wear it either.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    3/21/2007 10:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You must spar with people too damn hard if you get busted lips and black eyes every time you don't wear a face cage. I've only very rarely had any bruises or cuts on my face from sparring.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2007 10:36pm

Style: Xing-Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh no, not EVERY time, but of course they do happen. Too hard? Well with some people. We have a couple guys that are well...assholes. I ususally spar with them so that the folks learning dont have to play with em. Against them? I hold little back and they do the same. That is when the cuts and face busts come out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2007 12:19am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still don't get what you all are saying about going easy. You have to train just like you fight. I've only had 1 small shiner and a bunch of lip liner lookin marks from sparring. Wear headgear and 16oz gloves, 18oz's if you guys can really crack. Having a mouthpiece you're comfy with is important, but I prolly don't have to say that.

I don't know what a facecage is, but if its like those headgear that have a bar across the face, I'd avoid them, as any time I've seen someone use it, they're head always gets knocked around and they get blinded twice as easy.

If you want to spar with the smaller guy, then going a little easy is ok. But you should be in a ring or clear area and atleast put a lot of body pressure so he tires himself out and you force him to work you're defense. Weight wont always matter though.. I've havent a lot of trouble sparring guys who were smaller and faster than when it was reversed.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/22/2007 10:15am

supporting member
     Style: MMA, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    I absolutely loath most headgear. Really screws up my vision. I find that some headgear are actually much more dangerous than none at all because of the tendancy to not see a punch coming, which of course is going to be much more damaging. I think most gyms just make people wear headgear because of insurance liabilities rather than actual safety concerns.
    Furthermore, while I haven't seen any research on this, it feels to me as if head gear increases the impact of many punches.

I think the elasticity of the padding acts a spring creating a whiplash effect.

On the other hand, maybe I've only worn shitty headgear.
    Last edited by garbanzo; 3/22/2007 10:24am at .
    The vast Universe!
    The Way of Aiki to to become
    The light of all mankind
    Opening all the world

--O Sensei

:gaygay:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2007 10:33am

Style: MT, Boxing,ITF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Emevas

Again props to you for posting a video. You're moving better than you did with the bag.

Watched 6 mins of the first and 'skim watched' the second.

Do you know what I think? I think you are too nice. It looks to me like you're 40-50 pounds heavier than that lad you're with, a lot stronger and tougher, and you don't want to hurt him - he really does look less skilled than you.

You cover up well with your right, but maybe hold your left a bit low.

As before, you need to vary your work rate, both to keep control and to get some training benefits, and as KS said - punches in bunches please! Get in close occasionally - you're both spending time firing low impact singles at long range. Hook to the head and body with your left. Work harder with your right. Ask your coach for some drills to help you get in. strike and get out of range.

You'll need someone tougher/more experienced to spar with as well as the the lad in the video - he 's not going to be able to push you hard enough as your sole training partner. You look like you can take and dish out some real wallops, and you need to get them working!

Well done - I wouldn't pick a fight with you

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/22/2007 11:43am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the tips Nick. When I go home I get to have bigger/more experienced guys, but while up at University, this is the only guy I got, so beggers can't really be choosers.

I've always been too nice. I gotta fix that. In either case, I've been building this dude up, and he at least gives me a chance to work on my defense, so there's that. I'm gonna make use of these critiques the next time we spar and see what we can work on.

Thanks for all the advice.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/22/2007 1:04pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas

I've always been too nice. I gotta fix that.
    I'm the same way.

I'm resurrecting an old post, by HAPKO3 on the subject of "toughness". It's an interesting read.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...eferrerid=3051

On the subject of "toughness", HAPKO3 writes:

It can be trained. In my experience, the best way to do so is boxing, for a number of reasons.

First of all, boxing forces you to take hits and deal them out. In addition, it's a "forward pressure martial art", it teaches you to be agressive. If you start backpedding and whatnot, you get overwhelmed.

If you want to teach yourself agression, go to a boxing gym and after a while get some amateur fights. It is extremely important to adopt an aggressive fighting style. Make it a rule for yourself not to spend to much time in the clinch, don't ever retreat, when you fight, set the tempo, and try to overwhelm your opponent. This may not be the best way for you to box (you will be one dimensional, and more experienced guys will take advantage of that), but you're not trying to be a great boxer at this time, you're trying to teach yoursef something, change you character. If you can, find sparring partners with a similar style. Don't box counterpunchers, box people who will try to overwhelm you right back. Doing this will be very much against your instincts. If you're not a killer by nature, you will want to backpeddle, counterpunch, and clinch to avoid flurries. Don't do any of that. Force yourself to to always go tow to toe. Even if it means getting rocked. Always remember that you goal is not to be the best boxer you can be. Your goal is to be aggressive. Work very hard on your footwork. Make sure you never backstep. If you have to avade, advance at an angle while throwing. Work on your hooks and uppercuts, you'll need them when you step right up to your opponents and take their heads off. When you can more or less hang doing rounds in your gym, get some amateur fights. If you can, fight brawlers, not boxers (a lot of the amateurs are gonna be brawlers) and test yourself against people who are badasses by nature. If you lose, take it in stride. At some point, you will start winning, at least every once in a while. If you lose the fight but went toe to toe and threw down, you won as far as you're concerned. If you evaded, then you failed at your goal even if the fight went your way.

When you fight, you have to think of what's going on in your head. That's 2/3 of the battle. Don't be scared. Don't be too angry. A good frame of mind is "This is MY ring! What the **** are your doing in MY RING? You're in MY TERRITORY, bitch! Who the **** do you think you are coming in here? I'll have to teach you a lesson for intruding!" The first times you get out there, you're gonna start being anxious about a day before the fight. You'll have trouble sleeping, you'll be thinking about the fight and visualizing. When that starts, make sure you're thinking about the territory thing. Imagine that you're a mean motherfucking lion, and some panzy ass ************ is intruding in your territory. He's after your bitches. You have to make sure that ************ will never do that again. And all the rest of them will think twice too. As soon as you feel afraid or anxious, psych yourself up with this little mental image. It sounds silly, but it did wonders for me.
    The vast Universe!
    The Way of Aiki to to become
    The light of all mankind
    Opening all the world

--O Sensei

:gaygay:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2007 2:10pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^ Incredible post. The first thread I decide to read after the break and I'm blown away. Seriously.

I have the exact same problem, magnified by the fact that I am suited only for infighting.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast