Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/17/2007 8:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Has anyone read any of these books on boxing?

http://www.amazon.com/Boxers-Start-U...4180871&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Fighting-Fit-D...4180871&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Boxing-Mastery...4180871&sr=8-1

I always get gift cards from bookstores and figure I'd pick up some supplemental reading. Curious if anyone has read any of these three books and can give me a heads up on if they're worth a read, or if anyone has any other books they think would be a good addition to my library?

I was a big fan of what Hatmaker put out in "Savage Strikes", both in how he writes and his liberal use of photos to convey the point (reading only gets me so far), and his background appears to be a lot more in boxing than in any aspect of combat, but I'd love to hear the opinion of some of the more experienced strikers.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2007 8:37pm

Style: Wrestling and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't read any of these books, so I can't comment on 'em, but I've recently gotten a book aptly titled "Explosive Power and Strength, complex training for maximum results" by Donald A. Chu which seems to be pretty reliable. You can find it on Ringside Boxing's website. If you don't mind DVDs, John Brown also has a decent collection.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/17/2007 8:37pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have Hatmaker's "Boxing Mastery", and I like it a lot. It's very similar to "Savage Strikes" and "NHB Fighting: Takedowns", which I also have. That'd be my opinion, as someone with shitty striking.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/17/2007 8:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenfaust
    I haven't read any of these books, so I can't comment on 'em, but I've recently gotten a book aptly titled "Explosive Power and Strength, complex training for maximum results" by Donald A. Chu which seems to be pretty reliable. You can find it on Ringside Boxing's website. If you don't mind DVDs, John Brown also has a decent collection.
    I'm doing alright on the strength training side of the equation so far, really just want something to read about technique/strategy. I realize training is much more important in this regard, but I like having books to read in school/during downtime just to kinda ingrain some stuff/think from a different angle.

I'll hit up that recommendation sometime.

El Macho: Anything specific about boxing mastery that caught your eye? The only thing that's turning me off is that it's "Advanced techniques and strategies", and I'm still pretty much a n00b with about 1.5 years of solid instruction and about 2-3 years of drilling on my own with that instruction.
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    3/18/2007 4:17am

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have Hatmaker's Boxing Mastery. I thought it was worth it. He discusses the hook as a lead weapon, which was new to me. He shows some old school guards that I swear to god look like Bujinkan kamae. He kinda overdoes showing basics and drills, but overall, I got some info out of it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2007 4:56am

Style: Wrestling and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    I'm doing alright on the strength training side of the equation so far, really just want something to read about technique/strategy. I realize training is much more important in this regard, but I like having books to read in school/during downtime just to kinda ingrain some stuff/think from a different angle.

I figured that much, that's why I recommended John Brown's DVD set, he touches on just about every topic that has something to do with boxing. I'll look around for technique/strategy based books to recommend, though.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/18/2007 7:35am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas

El Macho: Anything specific about boxing mastery that caught your eye? The only thing that's turning me off is that it's "Advanced techniques and strategies", and I'm still pretty much a n00b with about 1.5 years of solid instruction and about 2-3 years of drilling on my own with that instruction.
    I like his short, picture-full chapters on shuffling, pivoting and waltzing. That caught my eye very much.

Though it's called "advanced", I don't think any part of it is outside the grasp of someone with the basics. The entire book flows with practice in mind IMO. I actually like it better than "Savage Strikes" due to its simplicity.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    3/18/2007 1:46pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    +1 for Hatmaker. I've got all of his books on striking and they really helped with my transition from kung fu to kickboxing (that and I've got an awesome coach).
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    3/18/2007 1:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is the draw to books over videos? I really like seeing the video of whatever is being presented rather than a series of still and a text description.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/18/2007 3:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can read books in class and on the toilet =P

And again, I have a ton of giftcards for book stores, so I figure I'll go with what I can get for free for now.

Hitman: Glad to hear some more support for Hatmaker. I think I might just pick up boxing mastery, and maybe grab one of the other ones when I get some more time.
    "Emevas,
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast