Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Style
    BJJ blue, judo ikkyu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is it possible to integrate grappling into TMA?

<<<Introductory post>>>

Hi. I've been training for 7 years in isshinryu (see below for what that includes).

Do people here think it is possible to integrate grappling into TMA? (My answer is yes) It seems that no one else thinks so--the existence of the term "crappling" suggests a certain level of elitism.

My school practices light contact sparring, various forms of sticky hands, grappling, judo throws (no randori), and kata. We teach choking, striking, locks, holds and escapes with various levels of aliveness. We do kata with an emphasis on practical application, but wristlocks, armbars, osotogari and ogoshi are basic techniques as well.

Just testing the waters for what the community thinks (and getting my first post out so I don't get that huge text across the top of the forums...).

-1point2

KungFuBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So 1point2, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo.

Style
    etc
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well one thing to remember that what we call "TMA" in the west isn't that traditional at all. in the native environment of Okinawa, "traditionally" a lot of folks would have practiced Okinawan sumo as a recreational passtime. Thus, they had grappling training already.

Also since the MA community was small and tight knit there, it wasn't unusual for a person to do karate, sumo and/or kendo and judo. If you start training at the age of 6 (like some guys I grew up with) then you have lots of time to be exposed to the various disciplines.

Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc. supporting member
    Style
    Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Impossible! Blasphemy even!
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it possible? Anything's possible. But if what you're training hasn't been pressure-tested by anything other than "light contact sparring" and "various levels of aliveness," I'd bet everything I own that it's craptastic. That's realism, not elitism.

Beyond that--why bother, when pressure-tested, fully valid methods of grappling training are widely available? why try to reinvent the wheel?

Style
    BJJ - Homeland Security
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If by "integrate" you mean your instructor has affiliated himself with a high-ranking member of a grappling system (BJJ, Judo, etc), then the answer is yes. My instructor joined up with a BJJ black belt and regularly had a brown belt come in from another city to check up on the instruction every now and then until he got his own brown (and eventually black) belt.

If by "integrate" you mean just emulating what you see in a book or on video, then no. Anyone with even an intermediate level of proper instruction (see above) will be able to wipe the floor with everyone in your school. I've done it myself.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it Join us... or die
    Style
    Improv comedy
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crappling doesn't refer to mixing of styles or adding grappling.

Crapling refers to making stuff up that looks like grappling but is missing key elements.

I practice a style that mixes Goju Karate, Ju Jitsu and Judo. The guy who teaches it is a Judo Brown belt, 3rd degree Goju black belt and a second degree Ju Jitsu black belt as well as a level 2 certified shoot wrestling instructor.

Is the ground work as comprehensive as BJJ? no, is it crappling? no.

So yes it is possible and desirable to mix ground work into TMA as long and it's not crappling as long as your are drawing up the techniques from legitimate sources and not pulling them out of your ass.

Also it's important to test them in sparring / grappling situations as well as competitions against other schools so you can have a clear idea as to the effectiveness.

Style
    Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2
    My school practices light contact sparring, various forms of sticky hands, grappling, judo throws (no randori), and kata. We teach choking, striking, locks, holds and escapes with various levels of aliveness. We do kata with an emphasis on practical application,
    Can this thread be moved to YMAS and Boyd be asked to respond. The above is just too much, I don't know if this is a troll, but he hit almost every BS cliche in the book.
    Last edited by ojgsxr6; 3/16/2007 5:08pm at .

Community Corrections Officer supporting member
    Style
    Judo, TKD BB
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it possible to integrate grappling into TMA?
    Judoka seem to have integrated grappling into their TMA pretty well.

Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc. supporting member
    Style
    Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    Can this thread be moved to YMAS and Boyd be asked to respond. The above is just too much, I don't know if this is a troll, but he hit almost every BS cliche in the book.
    I wouldn't go that far. He seems to be honest enough, and what's he's said isn't so far out there that I'd call it anything close to trolling. 9 times out of 10 when people claim to incorporate "aliveness" into their drills, it's a misunderstanding of what aliveness is or how to go about it.

Or who knows perhaps he's right about his training and he goes to a quality school....anyone? anyone? ......feh.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Page 1 of 3 123 Last