Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/29/2007 7:59am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    That's why I mentioned by 1950s brick home in the first post. I was under the assumption that a 9mm had little chance of getting out.
    I forgot about that construction note when I wrote about the bullet leaving the house, but I was referring to interior walls in my most recent post; it's moot though, revisiting The Box of Truth reminded be that you can't do much about interior wall penetration.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2007 2:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian
    Over penetration is mentioned with regard to a bullet that enters a body, I'm mostly referring to a bullet that completely misses the intended target. However likely this is to happen in a home defense situation is a matter of debate, but a given cartridge's ability to put a bullet through sheet rock is fairly well understood.
    My apologies. I suppose that I'm the one who should be paying closer attention.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 7:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, a lot more goes into home defense than just getting the best gun for the job. Your gun should be your last and final line of defense. I've reinforced the frame for the front door and door to the garage to make it much harder for kick burglars or home invaders to get in. If they're really big and strong, they'll probaly still be able to get in, but it will take them a while, which will give us a lot of warning.

You need to start out with making entry into your home as hard as possible. Notice the crap that I've pile up on the front porch.

The last burglar and only one to get in our house came in through one of these windows. I didn't have all of this **** piled up here before and am still working on what kind of sharp pointy plant I need to put in the barrel, but for now, its a big improvement over leaving this space empty and available for any scumbag to work at his leisure and comfort.

This is currently my biggest concern in terms of point of entry, along with the sliding glass door. However, I have enough **** piled up inside the window that any entry would be slow and cumbersome.

Here are the bedroom windows. Notice the rose bushes and prominent stick in the window of my daughter's room. Also, as with all other windows, there are stickers for our ADT security system on the windows. I have also installed those little Bell and Howe batter operated alarms and those little screw operated window blocks. From my own experience having to break in when I was locked out, it takes a little over 1 minte to break in through one of the windows without setting off the Bell and Howe alarms. It takes 7 seconds to get into my gun safe from anywhere inside our house.

I keep a boken by the front door in case of unruly salesmen et al.

This is that window I said I had a lot of **** piled up inside of.

Evend inside, movement is limited for the first few yards in the house. Meanwhile, if we're home, we're arming ourselves and about to shoot your fish in a barrel ass.

View from the hallway oustide the bedrooms, AKA "the shooting gallery." The positioning of the bookshelf is no hapinstance.

The inside of my daughter's window. Our bedroom is right next door and the monitor is right under the window. Long before any burglar setting off the Bell and Howe alarm, we'll here the breaking glass louder than my daughter would. At night, I keep my guns loaded and by the bedside.

This is what I keep at my bedside at night. Ten round mag is loaded with Federal/Nosler ballistic tips 168gr rounds and the 20 round mag is loaded with Portuguese FMJ. I've got another four mags of Port loaded in the safe for SHTF, along with a 2K reserve and another 2K reserve of 30-06 for the M1 Garand.
    Last edited by TEA; 4/12/2007 7:45pm at .

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/16/2007 1:33pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where the hell do you live? I'm relatively happy with my dog and deadbolts in the ATL.

He's terrifying:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2007 1:57am

Style: no gi grappling/sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The shotgun goes much further in the intimidation factor, especially if it's a pump gun. Chances are it will be dark if anyone robs you while you're at home, and the sound of that shotgun racking a round is just fucking scary....

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/23/2007 12:55am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote]

And that distracting spindle!

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    4/23/2007 1:16am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, whiteshark, you could just tell me you would like to go to a gunstore with you one day and I will happily help you choose something and share what I know bout the various models we look at. I really think the way a gun feels in your hand is important so it's probably best to just go handle a bunch of different models, see what you like and then look at the pro's and cons of the guns you liked later.

You and your wife are also more then welcome to come shooting with me sometime (i've not been recently anyways) and I'll let you try out my guns (9mm beretta, AR15 carbine, and the uzi, which could have some relevenc if you decide to get a 9mm carbine) and you can get a better idea of what to expect from differnt guns and see how your wife feels with them.
    Last edited by Anna Kovacs; 4/23/2007 1:18am at .

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    4/23/2007 8:18am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Where the hell do you live? I'm relatively happy with my dog and deadbolts in the ATL.

He's terrifying:
    Nice dog. :bbd: We'd get a dog, except that we are renting right now and our lease doesn't allow pets.

The neighborhood I live in now is actually a fairly nice middle class neighborhood. We used to live in a shitty neighborhood (drug dealers, shootings, etc), so part of it may be retaining a certain mindset. However, we were fairly blase' about security when we first moved in to our present domicile, until someone broke in during the day while my wife and daughter were home. Most of the burglaries in my neighborhood happen during the day while most everyone is off at work.

It was my wife's first day home alone after our daughter was born, and some scumbag broke in through one of the front windows (where I have all that **** piled up on the porch now). My wife was nursing our daughter in our bedroom, heard a noise from the living room and was getting up to investigate when this dirtbag came around the corner into the hallway leading to our bedroom. My wife quickly put our daughter down and yelled "what the **** are you doing in my house!" at the guy while thinking about where the nearest weapon might be. Luckily, he turned tail and fled and she chased him out of the house topless and into the street, where he had his car waiting with the engine running. He was able to get in and drive off before she could read his plates, though.

After that, we got burglar alarms, planted the roses outside the bedroom windows, reinforced the door frame around the locks (dead bolts don't do any good against a kick burglar if you have an unreinforced door frame because the frame will just split open) as well as other precautions. I got the 18.5" barrel for my shotgun the other week after someone had tried unsuccessfully to come in through the sliding glass door. He popped the lock on the sliding screen door and had opened that halfway, but gave up for some reason after that (scared off by a neighbor, saw the locks and alarm, other?).

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 8:32am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This just happened in my old neighborhood.

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...3homicide.html

Our apartment looked out over the street just north of Capital Plaza and we used to walk through this parking lot all the time.

Of course, these happened pretty close to my new neighborhood. Not nearly as close, though, these two being a couple of miles from my house instead of just over 100yds from my bedroom window.

http://www.kvue.com/news/top/stories...m.106cbff.html

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...19roundup.html

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 9:26am

supporting member
     Style: age&treachery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA
    Nice dog. :bbd: We'd get a dog, except that we are renting right now and our lease doesn't allow pets.
    Pity. Dogs have great ears. Even a little yappy one can let you know when someone's getting too close to the house, even if he can't exactly scare them away. Distant Early Warning System FTW!

And a dog with a good, intimidating bark adds yet another layer of defense.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast