Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 2:39pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Ah, I see perspective helps. Makes sense where you are coming from now. Yeah, I have the same problem with school vs daycare problem. I'm a hard ass so, I refuse to teach my children by myself. I get it from my dad he was always more intense with us when we were young.

No, I'm not the crazy sports dad. I never played organized football so, I actually keep my mouth shut.

Now, if they start swimming uh oh.
    Haha exactly. It is hillarious to watch all the activites they have to teach the kids how to swim. Then I remember my mom throwing us out and encouraging us as we frantacly doggy paddled. It s a different world.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 3:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387
    The organizations role as a day care provider is implied in the post... to anyone capable of basic reading comprehension.
    :ingun:

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 3:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarde
    Yeah .. that's what I said... dumbass
    No ma is better than bad ma, in my opinion. For myself it produced bad habits which I still am not completely free of. It also makes fantasy warriors. Taking crap (TKD, WT) did that to me.

You seem torn about it, judging by how much you write.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 7:46pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMcFu

Yes, I was thinking the same thing with the back and forth in his posts.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 9:47pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387
    Yes just one more dumbass thing so bear with me. it is nice that you can google and maybe read a dictionary. I will be gentle here oh merciless one... In common parlance (usage) hypocrite refers to one who does an act that he/she condemns others for doing... that is the way the term is used in the english language as in, "the preacher showed what a hypocrite he was by going to a protitute after condemning prostitution as the work of the devil."

It is not the correct term to use in the context you wish to call me on. Actually I had pulled the post initially because you guys straightened it out, but if you must call me on the post you might simply say I came to the wrong conclusion and that I should mind my own business... or that my reasoning was specias (can't vouch for the spelling on that one) regarding what the poster meant to imply.

At any rate you could make a case for my reading comprehension but, and I say this as a former teacher... use the term hypocrite properly. Peace.
    No wonder our school system sucks....Fine, you're a hypocrite. Lectures on the use of hypocrite in grammar:jerkit2yf makes it double. You obviously didn't read his post careful enough because you came to the wrong conclusion. The sad part is you can't even see how wrong you are. Congratulations on being the next in long run of pathetic posters.

When you actually come up with a logical arguement let me know, but untill then go kill yourself.
    Last edited by Omega; 4/28/2007 9:58pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 10:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarde
    When you choose to criticise my decision you are assuming that we operate in an environment that is similar to your own. The reality is that in the UK (rurally) opportunites to study martial arts are limited. The rural clubs tend to be TMA, many of which TKD & Karate train in the time honoured fashion of practising the same technique moving slowly across the floor (it makes kata exciting). The children's sections of these clubs have no sparring and no contact. Kids can train for several years before they are considered sufficiently competent to engage in points sparring. For most kids they'll put in a couple of years, get a few grades and then lose interest. I'm hoping that by taking my son to a class that he enjoys, has some contact (very light grappling) we'll foster a desire to train in m.a's seriously and we'll support that by introducing him to other martial arts as we can.
    Is judo available near where you live? There seem to be a lot of decent kids' judo programs around, and they're often non-profit and thus pretty affordable. Probably depends where you are in the UK though...

http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/thesport/findclub.php

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 12:34pm

Style: Jun Fan JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi guys,

I used to train at a local dojo under the World Jujitsu Federation for about 2.5years and stopped at 1st kyu(brown belt). I have since moved on to doing Jun fan JKD as well as Amateur boxing and competed in muaythai.

Here is what I have to say.

Striking:
    We definitely had crappy striking. The techniques were basically karate/tkd techniques but what was crappy was the lack of practise and many students could not even do a roundhouse kick even upon reaching the 'senior' level (greenbelt and above where there was some sparring) . Despite this, they would still get promoted. Had I not have had tkd experience, I dont see how I could have done it at least without looking like a clown. Oh yes, one more thing to add was that all striking techniques were covered within the 1st 3 belt levels and no revision of any lone striking techniques was found in subsequent levels(except in the pre-fixed kata section)

Groundwork:
    The groundwork that I learned while being there was definitely realistic and was in many ways similar to that in bjj and judo(as I found out from attending seminars, and instructionals). There was too little class time for free rolling and a handful of us seniors spent time after class rolling as well as watching/reading instructionals to supplement our knowledge.(which could explain why we improved). I would say that our level of competency in groundwork was that we had trouble with the average blue belt bjjer but were more knowledgable and could tap out an average Singaporean judo blue/brown belt and sometimes even a blackbelt.(As I found out after I joined my Polytechnic Judo team in an attempt to improve on my throwing.)

If there was anything I feel I gained out of training there, it would definitely be the groundwork.

Throwing:
    Although we learnt many throwing techniques(most of which can be found in the kodokan judo syllabus). The average student there(who did not cross-train in judo) had trouble applying the throws in a randori/free sparring situation. This was probably due to the lack of knowledge in the basics of breaking balance as well as little randori experience and drilling. My personal experience is that when I was an orange belt in jujitsu, I had a chance at randori with a white belt judoka. The result was that I lost badly and that was when I decided to start cross-training in judo.

Pre-fixed kata:
    This would be like other jujitsu/aikido systems where we would partner up and then perform the technique on one another(without aliveness). Depending on who we were partnering, some would just fall anyway even when the technique was performed terribly while others would resist in an attempt to make training the techniques more realistic.

Personally I feel that some of the techniques would never work if there was any slight hint of aliveness in it at all. Most of the techniques involved X takes a big step with a forward punch that stays out there while Y would do a wrist block followed by a hit and then a throw ending off finally with a strike(to the groin or face) or with a submission lock. However, there were some useful techniques on how to defend an assailant who holds you in a bear hug which I have tried out a number of times to succession when a friend tried to be funny and asked 'what if i grab you like that' as a response to me doing Martial Arts.

Sparring:
    There is sparring from greenbelt(senior)level onwards which was pretty realistic except that no head contact was allowed. My only complaint was that the time spent sparring in class(if any) was too little and seldom. Perhaps the only time we really sparred officially would be during gradings. A bunchful of us guys who were very much into MMA started sparring on our own after class with head contact allowed. The instructor didnt seem to mind as long as we took care of ourselves. Most of the injuries that occured there were knee injuries caused from accidents during randori sessions.

Syllabus:
    The syllabus was really long at some levels(orange belt especially) with perhaps 2 full pages at Font size 10. This was probably the reason why most of the time was spent doing the syllabus rather than rolling/randori/sparring. I once watched a black belt grading and it took almost an hour to complete with Part 1 and Part 2 on different days. However, I am told by the instructor that the syllabus at my dojo was a combination of the World Jujitsu Federation as well as the Yamanaka Jujitsu federation(a federation based in canada by a jaoanese founder). That could perhaps be the reason why the syllabus was so extensive.

Bottomline:
    Overall I feel that the World Jujitsu Federation is not so much a Mcdojo as compared to some of the other schools out there(at least in Singapore where parents treat TKD clubs as childcare services and MMA/BJJ was nowhere to be found until recently). Depending on how serious 1 trains at it, and how far he is willing to make it work for him there is a chance that he could be good but would definitely be better if he had trained elsewhere(with competing and sports in mind).

Sometimes I do look back wondering how the outcome would have been better had I spent the 2.5years doing something else like BJJ or another striking art instead. Hope this thread helps.
    Last edited by GrapplerGabE; 5/02/2007 5:56am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2007 10:18am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMcFu
    No ma is better than bad ma, in my opinion. For myself it produced bad habits which I still am not completely free of. It also makes fantasy warriors. Taking crap (TKD, WT) did that to me.

Firstly, apologies for my response to your earlier post. Thanks to Omega for pointing out that I was out of line.

I guess I am a little torn... always want to do what's best for my son. Where I'm at right now is that he's enjoying the classes, he's learning good basic techniques, but I'm well aware that when he progresses to the next age group the standard of instruction is not good enough. That's not to say the instructors don't teach well, rather that what they teach is not effective. So, I'm already looking to find an alternative programme for him.

Aside from lack of real alternatives (although I think I may have found a reasonable Judo School to try) the significant problem is that the classes he attends are really well run for young children. They are well thought out and keep the kids interested and engaged - no mean feat as anyone who has taught young kids will testify. Some of the alternatives don't have that appeal. I don't want to put him into a programme that he's going to hate and thereby lose interest in the MA's.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2007 10:24am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    As usual, Dsimon coming to the rescue with no clue.

First it wasn't clear if he was using it as a daycare. Implied does not mean definitive.
    Second he says yes it is a daycare..
    Sorry - sarcasm intended when I said it was daycare. Bad, unfriendly post that I cheerfully retract.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/30/2007 10:44am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's over and done with no retraction necessary.
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast