222357 Bullies, 4878 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 12:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    gong sau plz

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 12:47pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarde
    Out of line man. Call me what you want - leave my kid out of it. you're a parent you know better

I am a parent and I do know better. As parent I'm telling you straight up. What type of example are you setting for your son? 2 years from now after he's become bonded with the folks at that laughable location what are you going to say? When he get's older and can actually comprehend right and wrong on a more cognitive level what will you say? The insult isn't directed at your son the insult is directed at you. If you are that brain dead to believe that is right and your son developes his genes from you....you starting to get it? The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I look at my daughter and everything she does. I see these things as a reflection of who me or my wife is. It's a fact of life.

You fight the battles that need to be fought dude. As a parent I bet you believe you are doing the right thing and I'm telling you that you are not. If something is wrong then you set those boundries up for your kid, they will be a beter person for it. Otherwise you end up being one of those adults that love pointing a finger at someone else believing that they're to blaim for your lot in life.

So calling somebody a dumbass for pointing out that you're using it as a daycare is pretty ridiculous. He never said what you did was right or wrong he's simply putting it in simple terms.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 2:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The moral of the story is you need to sign your six year old up for some Pankration classes.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 4:44am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    I am a parent and I do know better. As parent I'm telling you straight up. What type of example are you setting for your son? 2 years from now after he's become bonded with the folks at that laughable location what are you going to say? When he get's older and can actually comprehend right and wrong on a more cognitive level what will you say? The insult isn't directed at your son the insult is directed at you. If you are that brain dead to believe that is right and your son developes his genes from you....you starting to get it? The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I look at my daughter and everything she does. I see these things as a reflection of who me or my wife is. It's a fact of life.

You fight the battles that need to be fought dude. As a parent I bet you believe you are doing the right thing and I'm telling you that you are not. If something is wrong then you set those boundries up for your kid, they will be a beter person for it. Otherwise you end up being one of those adults that love pointing a finger at someone else believing that they're to blaim for your lot in life.

So calling somebody a dumbass for pointing out that you're using it as a daycare is pretty ridiculous. He never said what you did was right or wrong he's simply putting it in simple terms.
    I accept that my response was wrong.

However, I do believe that I am doing the best for my son, by introducing him to the martial arts in an environment that fosters children of his age. I do not use it as a daycare facilty - far from it, we drive 30 mins for a 1 hour class, so we wait with him for the duration of that class, twice a week. The class that he attends is ideal for his age group. They focus only on the basics - falling correctly, basic throws and strikes etc. and encourage/educate the young children to the "dangers" of our society. The children are taught to use their voices effectively, to draw attantion/aid if they are in danger.

We don't use this class as a daycare facility, we use it as an introduction to martial arts in an environment that is child friendly. We also take the time to introduce him to other martial arts as best we can - explaining the differences between styles and their effectiveness. The WJJF classes have helped support that interest.

When you choose to criticise my decision you are assuming that we operate in an environment that is similar to your own. The reality is that in the UK (rurally) opportunites to study martial arts are limited. The rural clubs tend to be TMA, many of which TKD & Karate train in the time honoured fashion of practising the same technique moving slowly across the floor (it makes kata exciting). The children's sections of these clubs have no sparring and no contact. Kids can train for several years before they are considered sufficiently competent to engage in points sparring. For most kids they'll put in a couple of years, get a few grades and then lose interest. I'm hoping that by taking my son to a class that he enjoys, has some contact (very light grappling) we'll foster a desire to train in m.a's seriously and we'll support that by introducing him to other martial arts as we can.

Now if you think I'm taking the wrong approach I will gladly listen to your suggestions, but I think that kids training is another topic in its own right. If you think I'm a douchebag for making a flippant response to someone else's throw away comment - you may be right. At the end of the day my original post was intended to show that the one thing the WJJF do well is introduce kids to martial arts in an environment that is safe for them and they enjoy, and they do this an awful lot better than most TMA's do in the UK.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 10:13am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All children should do judo as soon as they are old enough to stand. Later they should be introduced to other arts as maturity sees fit.

Throwing people is best learned when you are still made of rubber.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 11:14am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarde
    I accept that my response was wrong.

However, I do believe that I am doing the best for my son, by introducing him to the martial arts in an environment that fosters children of his age. I do not use it as a daycare facilty - far from it, we drive 30 mins for a 1 hour class, so we wait with him for the duration of that class, twice a week. The class that he attends is ideal for his age group. They focus only on the basics - falling correctly, basic throws and strikes etc. and encourage/educate the young children to the "dangers" of our society. The children are taught to use their voices effectively, to draw attantion/aid if they are in danger.

We don't use this class as a daycare facility, we use it as an introduction to martial arts in an environment that is child friendly. We also take the time to introduce him to other martial arts as best we can - explaining the differences between styles and their effectiveness. The WJJF classes have helped support that interest.

When you choose to criticise my decision you are assuming that we operate in an environment that is similar to your own. The reality is that in the UK (rurally) opportunites to study martial arts are limited. The rural clubs tend to be TMA, many of which TKD & Karate train in the time honoured fashion of practising the same technique moving slowly across the floor (it makes kata exciting). The children's sections of these clubs have no sparring and no contact. Kids can train for several years before they are considered sufficiently competent to engage in points sparring. For most kids they'll put in a couple of years, get a few grades and then lose interest. I'm hoping that by taking my son to a class that he enjoys, has some contact (very light grappling) we'll foster a desire to train in m.a's seriously and we'll support that by introducing him to other martial arts as we can.

Now if you think I'm taking the wrong approach I will gladly listen to your suggestions, but I think that kids training is another topic in its own right. If you think I'm a douchebag for making a flippant response to someone else's throw away comment - you may be right. At the end of the day my original post was intended to show that the one thing the WJJF do well is introduce kids to martial arts in an environment that is safe for them and they enjoy, and they do this an awful lot better than most TMA's do in the UK.
    So you don't use it as a day care....

As for this response. My wife is my guage when it comes to this ****. I let her know how I feel and she responds to "she's only 5 let it go", and I do. As a business owner I welcome these Mcdojos in my town. When people are done throwing away good money they come to me for real training and don't mind paying me for the services that are much lower than the chain brand (sound like a commercial), but then I don't have to make excuses why we charge what we charge. It also allows me to not worry about a bunch of whining excuses because they know what they're getting.

I run a MMA gym yet I have classes for 3 and 4 year old kids. I borrowed this model from another MMA gym in a neighboring city. I figured if it was good enough for their two gyms (who have fighters in the UFC and the WEC) it's good enough for me. Yes my situation is more differant than yours because I'm the instructor. I don't think it's right to compromise yourself like that but then again, like I said before, I let my wife be the guage on that.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 11:35am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Three years is no longer an introduction?

Sometimes it's better to not give an introduction than give a bad introduction.

Their training is pretty poor - the higher graded teens really suck at striking and blocking and some of the adults (including one or two first dans) would get their asses handed to them pretty quickly outside of the club.
    I almost stopped right here. You admit it is poor (one or two good people do not fix this problem) yet, leave your kid there for what.......?

My son was 5 when he started attending - he's developing discipline, self-confidence and a passion for martial arts. It's a great introduction for him.
    All things people teach there kids without going to a "poor" MA studio. Heck many children learn everything you stated by never doing MAs or organized sports. You are doing your son a disservice by having him learn a bad MA then, throwing him into a good alive art.

He will have 3 years of techniques to relearn or throw out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 12:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Three years is no longer an introduction?

Sometimes it's better to not give an introduction than give a bad introduction.

I almost stopped right here. You admit it is poor (one or two good people do not fix this problem) yet, leave your kid there for what.......?

All things people teach there kids without going to a "poor" MA studio. Heck many children learn everything you stated by never doing MAs or organized sports. You are doing your son a disservice by having him learn a bad MA then, throwing him into a good alive art.

He will have 3 years of techniques to relearn or throw out.
    Bad MA or no MA?
    The young kids class (5-7) only teaches the basic moves from the first two (adult) gradings syllabus - essentially break falls, basic strikes and throws. They're not learning bad technique, and in fairness to the club they don't teach bad techniques per se, rather have the wrong attitude (for the teens and adults).

Self-confidence and discipline he does get at home, but taking him to an activity that he enjoys and re-inforces those isn't bad parenting.

Aside from my dickhead response above, what we're moving into now is a debate on whether it's better to let your child train in a "poor" MA than no MA. If those are the only options, then I think something is better than nothing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 12:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    I run a MMA gym yet I have classes for 3 and 4 year old kids. I borrowed this model from another MMA gym in a neighboring city. I figured if it was good enough for their two gyms (who have fighters in the UFC and the WEC) it's good enough for me. Yes my situation is more differant than yours because I'm the instructor. I don't think it's right to compromise yourself like that but then again, like I said before, I let my wife be the guage on that.
    Great - and this is the kind of class that I would like to take my son to if they were easily available to us. There's one realtively local club that offers something akin to that (about 40 minutes away) but the classes are on too late for him.

What is the consensus? Is no MA better than one that's far from perfect?

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 1:03pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No I understand why you're doing what you're doing, it's just too bad somebody has not stepped up in your area to give you a better option.
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast