Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    3/22/2010 4:53am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    No disrespect intended but not sure what you mean.

If John Steadman visits and you get the chance on the mat to throw a punch at him, tell us how it went.

And how much it hurt.

Thank you.
    Well, with all respect...

...if you attack me EXACTLY the way I tell you to, I can make it look very good too. Problem is, real fights don't work that way.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Posted On:
    3/22/2010 8:54am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    Well, with all respect...

...if you attack me EXACTLY the way I tell you to, I can make it look very good too. Problem is, real fights don't work that way.

Indeed, Sir.

I've observed that they generally arrive without prior warning. :shock:

Still, Mr Steadman was certainly a painful experience, although I did learn something so I'm happy with that.

Posted On:
    11/03/2010 1:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Thai Boxing and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is very good instructors out there, it's finding the right one's

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2012 1:52pm

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I'm way late on this topic, but then, I only found this forum today. Anyway, here goes. I personally am acquainted with three black belts from the World Jujitsu Federation and one of them is a dear friend of many years. All three are Brits. Over the years I've worked out with my friend many times and found his knowledge excellent and his execution virtually flawless.

I happen to be a jujitsu 8th degree black belt in a different style/organization and I've been in the martial arts more than 50 years. Just recently I spent a weekend at my friend's dojo along with another high ranking black belt from Liverpool. The two of us ran and judged several students testing for their black belts. Several of them were from 1st to 3rd degree black belts in taekwondo prior to starting their jujitsu training. There were both male and female with two women being middle age professional women. I found the quality of these students to be very, very good. No, they didn't fight for their lives in the testing but they did showcase their technique, speed and power. Remember, we must first learn to use our tools before building a house. IMHO, my sensei friend did everything right and his small dojo was a class act all the way.

I cannot speak for or about anyone else but my limited exposure over the past several years leads me to believe they promote a quality product. It's easy to criticize and belittle other arts but much harder to defend your own.

Why did they never try this....

Posted On:
    9/21/2012 5:14am

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu/Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flinter View Post
    ...Just recently I spent a weekend at my friend's dojo along with another high ranking black belt from Liverpool. The two of us ran and judged several students testing for their black belts. Several of them were from 1st to 3rd degree black belts in taekwondo prior to starting their jujitsu training. There were both male and female with two women being middle age professional women. I found the quality of these students to be very, very good. No, they didn't fight for their lives in the testing but they did showcase their technique, speed and power. Remember, we must first learn to use our tools before building a house. IMHO, my sensei friend did everything right and his small dojo was a class act all the way.
    As mentioned else where one of the biggest problems with the WJJF (within it's own aims) is the variability between schools, I saw this huge difference in skill even while doing my own 2nd dan grading, I was disappointed with the level required of me in some of the testing and that some of the closest to alive tests were skipped. Even more problematic was later when people from my own school were awarded a BB when they were scared to be thrown! Not mentioning my one lack of belief in there knowledge and ability.

Outside the aims are the issues with the steady removal of any resistive training, drilling and sparring as requirements. Then what little sparring there was was effectively banned.

Add to that the commercial focus "must buy new badge to grade" and the questions on how much or the Traditional JJ heritage is left, with the addition of "trendy" moves, and you have an organisation and style with serious problems.

I am not belittling another art, I spent 7+ years training with the WJJF and reached 2 dan, but even while preparing for this I had realised it had issues and that it was moving in the wrong directions, about a year after this I fell out of the habit of going as I was getting much more useful and instructing training at an MMA/BJJ gym (lead there partly by this forum and attending a Throwdown or two)

It is also easy to blindly defend and art if you never look outside it, you believe your own hype and will cherry pick those parts that do work or came of in a specific situation.

I'm not saying I didn't learn anything, there are still things I learnt there I use in MMA and BJJ sparring to this day, but I don't know if someone starting at a WJJF school would learn them as well, it at at all today due to the changes that I saw.
    "This won't hurt me a bit..." - My training partner.:new_astha

Posted On:
    9/21/2012 6:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Flinter claims 8th Dan Ju Jitsu in his post yet his Style is shown as Aikido. This is, er, "inconsistent".

Liverpool does indeed have Terrific Senseis, who are familiar to me but are ex-WJJF (although I posted an old-time video elsewhere in Bully when they were part of WJJF). So, I may know them.

Just curious to know more.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/21/2012 6:31pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Flinter claims 8th Dan Ju Jitsu in his post yet his Style is shown as Aikido. This is, er, "inconsistent".
    If he has trained for 50 years as he says, he could have done both.

Posted On:
    9/22/2012 1:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    If he has trained for 50 years as he says, he could have done both.
    Then I look forward to him confirming it. :-)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2012 2:31pm

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Liverpool does indeed have Terrific Senseis, who are familiar to me but are ex-WJJF (although I posted an old-time video elsewhere in Bully when they were part of WJJF). So, I may know them.

Just curious to know more.

Yes I said aikido because it's my favorite now that I'm getting old. I have black belts in several arts; but is that so strange after being in the martial arts for some 52 years? I would guess there are many old timers with similar credentials.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/22/2012 3:46pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flinter View Post
    Yes I said aikido because it's my favorite now that I'm getting old. I have black belts in several arts; but is that so strange after being in the martial arts for some 52 years? I would guess there are many old timers with similar credentials.
    Yes, and there are many more that have questionable ranks, which is why he was skeptical. Not saying it is right, but the TOP is bloated with a ton of BSers IMO.