228427 Bullies, 3765 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 141 to 150 of 179
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415 161718 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. streetjujitsu is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3

    Posted On:
    10/01/2009 5:57pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ju jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like you've got too much choice. Go with you gut instinct...........you can always change your mind later, once you've built a qualified opinion.
  2. SlingerXL is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3

    Posted On:
    10/04/2009 6:05pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah good instructors are important.
  3. budostudent101 is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1

    Posted On:
    2/27/2010 2:03am

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having trained under John Steadman, Tony Midgely, Steve Austen, Iain, Rob,etc in Ronin Yudansha Ryu in Bootle, Liverpool for 3 years, i really enjoyed my training there and they were decent people to me. I never once got the impression that it was about making money. To be fair to the system, there are a lot of good techniques in there which are found in more authentic koryu systems. For example, the front scooping throw, which is very reminiscent of the obiotoshi throw from daito ryu aikijujutsu, kotegaeshi from aikido, nikkyo wrist locks from aikido,etc. (Aikido is from daito ryu aikijujutsu, so these techniques emerged from a koryu system originally). Also, there is the shoulder wheel, which is found in hapkido & the shoulder crash, which is similar to a bujinkan budo taijutso & judo throw. It is a composite style of mainly judo, karate & aikido, which does have some effective techniques in there. I know this from first hand experience in real street fights that i have had. Those fights were not out of choice. I am the least likely person to want to have a fight and normally avoid fighting at all costs, but in a last resort, someimes you have to fight. Yes, it is completely lacking in groundwork techniques, but in the Fernhill sports centre, we used to spar quite regularly in stand-up techniques. I do think that the striking aspect of the system needs to be improved as well, but in relation to general goshin techniques, the system does have a lot of merits. Since those times, i have progressed to aikido, bjj (which in my opinion is an evolved form of fusen ryu jiujitsu - the ne waza of jigaro kano's judo), daito ryu aikijujutsu, wing chun kung fu, goju ryu karate, krav maga, a little hapkido & am looking to learn muay thai, goshinkwai yawara, silat & pekiti tersia kali. I do respect a lot of the MMA fighters athletism/fitness levels, with their amalgam of muay Thai/muay Boran, BJJ/judo/wrestling/sambo, boxing, etc & think that it is an effective system for 1-on-1 unarmed fight, but the reality on the streets against weapons or multiple opponents, then i think systems like aikido, krav maga, daito ryu aikijujutsu, etc are better at dealing with those type of situations. There is a difference between sports, submission grappling/vale tudo & real fighting, where anything goes. I'm just a student of the martial arts, but i will continue to learn for the duration of my life & try to have respect for all other practitioners of other martial arts. IMHO, martial arts are not just about fighting, but are about instilling discipline, respect, perseverance, diligence, courteousness, integrity, honesty, industriousness, etc in an individual. Lessons which can be applied to all areas of life and not just within the realm of fighting.
  4. Eddie Hardon is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,500

    Posted On:
    3/10/2010 9:31am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by budostudent101 View Post
    Having trained under John Steadman, Tony Midgely, Steve Austen, Iain, Rob,etc in Ronin Yudansha Ryu in Bootle, Liverpool for 3 years, i really enjoyed my training there and they were decent people to me. I never once got the impression that it was about making money. To be fair to the system, there are a lot of good techniques in there which are found in more authentic koryu systems. For example, the front scooping throw, which is very reminiscent of the obiotoshi throw from daito ryu aikijujutsu, kotegaeshi from aikido, nikkyo wrist locks from aikido,etc. (Aikido is from daito ryu aikijujutsu, so these techniques emerged from a koryu system originally). Also, there is the shoulder wheel, which is found in hapkido & the shoulder crash, which is similar to a bujinkan budo taijutso & judo throw. It is a composite style of mainly judo, karate & aikido, which does have some effective techniques in there. I know this from first hand experience in real street fights that i have had. Those fights were not out of choice. I am the least likely person to want to have a fight and normally avoid fighting at all costs, but in a last resort, someimes you have to fight. Yes, it is completely lacking in groundwork techniques, but in the Fernhill sports centre, we used to spar quite regularly in stand-up techniques. I do think that the striking aspect of the system needs to be improved as well, but in relation to general goshin techniques, the system does have a lot of merits. Since those times, i have progressed to aikido, bjj (which in my opinion is an evolved form of fusen ryu jiujitsu - the ne waza of jigaro kano's judo), daito ryu aikijujutsu, wing chun kung fu, goju ryu karate, krav maga, a little hapkido & am looking to learn muay thai, goshinkwai yawara, silat & pekiti tersia kali. I do respect a lot of the MMA fighters athletism/fitness levels, with their amalgam of muay Thai/muay Boran, BJJ/judo/wrestling/sambo, boxing, etc & think that it is an effective system for 1-on-1 unarmed fight, but the reality on the streets against weapons or multiple opponents, then i think systems like aikido, krav maga, daito ryu aikijujutsu, etc are better at dealing with those type of situations. There is a difference between sports, submission grappling/vale tudo & real fighting, where anything goes. I'm just a student of the martial arts, but i will continue to learn for the duration of my life & try to have respect for all other practitioners of other martial arts. IMHO, martial arts are not just about fighting, but are about instilling discipline, respect, perseverance, diligence, courteousness, integrity, honesty, industriousness, etc in an individual. Lessons which can be applied to all areas of life and not just within the realm of fighting.
    Mimor point, but this would be better presented if you had paragraphs as it's just a wall of text and therefore not so easy to read (though I'm sure you meant well).

    I've only met Sensei John Steaman once when he was on the mat at the UNJJ Seminar in Brighton (UK) in 2000. He asked if anyone knew of the Zygomatic Nerve and, unwisely, I put my Hand up. The told me to throw a Punch and I found myself on the floor in much pain.

    He then asked if I knew of the Vagus Nerve. I replied, "No, Sensei". He said, "Welll, you're going to find out. Throw a Punch". I did. I then found myself back on the mat. I have never forgotten that Strike. Good Lord.
  5. Cdnronin is offline

    Ghost of Kawaishi

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    757

    Posted On:
    3/10/2010 2:42pm


     Style: judo, parenting

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been to a seminar with John Steadman when he came to Canada. I remember his stuff as being much more painful than anything else I had experienced at that time.
  6. Harai Goshi is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fort Myers Florida
    Posts
    8

    Posted On:
    3/16/2010 8:35pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ryobu-Kai Karate,Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's an ongoing joke in my judo circle, damn shame that these frauds make a buck.
  7. Eddie Hardon is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,500

    Posted On:
    3/18/2010 8:05am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Harai Goshi View Post
    It's an ongoing joke in my judo circle, damn shame that these frauds make a buck.
    No disrespect intended but not sure what you mean.

    If John Steadman visits and you get the chance on the mat to throw a punch at him, tell us how it went.

    And how much it hurt.

    Thank you.
  8. Nate1481 is offline
    Nate1481's Avatar

    Why did they never try this....

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    York, Yorkshire UK
    Posts
    605

    Posted On:
    3/22/2010 4:30am

    supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu/Mixed

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    No disrespect intended but not sure what you mean.

    If John Steadman visits and you get the chance on the mat to throw a punch at him, tell us how it went.

    And how much it hurt.

    Thank you.
    Most people are not saying their are no skilled people, their, just that the syllabus is inadequate to avoid huge school to school variation. The
    commonly used training method and complete lack of sparring are also key issues.
    "This won't hurt me a bit..." - My training partner.:new_astha
  9. Mtripp is online now
    Mtripp's Avatar

    Choked out by Gene Lebell

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Posts
    3,276

    Posted On:
    3/22/2010 4:42am

    supporting member
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shmuel View Post
    Hi again,
    I have heard that Mr Clark was at one time a student of Inoue Sensei, the Soke of the Hontai Yoshin Ryu. This is a legitimate and highly regarded koryu jujitsu system in Japan.
    So if he used this as the basis of the WJJF syllabus then I agree that calling it jujitsu is certainly appropriate.
    (and BTW, I don't think Inoue has a beard ! ;-) )
    This was proven to be a false claim made with forged papers.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC
  10. Mtripp is online now
    Mtripp's Avatar

    Choked out by Gene Lebell

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Posts
    3,276

    Posted On:
    3/22/2010 4:51am

    supporting member
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting stuff, for the record.

    Robert Clarke was totally exposed as a fraud with no legitimate ties to Japan, YEARS ago.

    He, Dickie Morris, Rod Sarc. (Juko-kai), they all were together at one point and then all of them went off to do their all thing....

    ...they all have something else in common too.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.